[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im doing my first pc build and everytime i turn the pc on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

File: IMAG0018.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0018.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
Im doing my first pc build and everytime i turn the pc on the dram led and cpu led start flashing. I had the ram in the wrong slots but i fixed them and they still flash. I read online about resetting the cmos battery. Will that work and not damage the pc? Also are there any other solutions?
>>
OP here, forgot to mention that they flash red in the ez debug
>>
try putting the ram in alternate slots
>>
>>286410
Ya the pic was wrong i changed it by putting one in the second slot and the other in the fourth slot. Still flashes red
>>
>>286413
Had the same problem when I built my pc a year ago, I also have your same ram, but honestly I don't remember how i solved it.

Does the pc boot?
>>
>>286415
The pc turns on like the fans and everything start working but theres no output to my monitor it just goes to power saving mode
>>
>>286416
Yeah, same as my situation in the past, I remember I reset the Cmos too, but it didn't do nothing.

make sure they click when you install the ram, also check all the cables are well connected to the mobo, meanwhile i'll try to remember how i did it
>>
>>286417
I have a feeling resetting the cmos isnt gonna work but its worth a try. If anything im probably missing a wire in the mobo
>>
>>286417

Also try each bank of ram individually to see if one of them is damaged
>>
>>286419
Lol already did that. Ram looks fine though
>>
>>286420
Try to use different cables like hdmi and display port, via gpu and mobo, and see if one of the combinations change something.
>>
are there beep codes? if not plug in a speaker and get the beep codes.
>>
>>286421
Alright ima try that.
>>286425
Ok im plugging in speakers now
>>
speakers? you mean the CMOS speaker like the one i posted a pic of right?
>>
>>286432
I dont have that wire...
>>
>>286433
post the name of your motherboard, you might need one
>>
>>286434
MSI Z170-A Pro ATX LGA1151 Z170 DDR4 2PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 SATA3 HDMI DVI VGA USB3.1 Motherboard
>>
if its the z710a pro...

you need it. pic related. go to best buy and try to bum one from them you need it dude.
>>
>>286435
forgot pic.
see pic for where to plug it in
>>
anyways it looks like u have LEDs so u probably dont need one after all. you said DRAM? try it with one stick and then try it with the other, one of them might be DOA
>>
>>286439
He said he already tried
>>
>>286440
ah shit didnt read.

get the beep codes then.
>>
>>286408
>>286415

I remember now that I updated the BIOS of my Asus Z170-A

i'm not sure if it worked after that, but i remember I did it, you can try it before buying a new mobo/RAM and if you can't find other solutions
>>
also another thing, whats the processor?
>>
Alright ima go there later today
>>
>>286444
INTEL® CORE™ I5-6600K 3.50GHZ 6M Cache FC-LGA14C LGA1151 Processor Retail Package Skylake
>>
"Some Intel Z170 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaby Lake-S CPUs."

- pcpartpicker
>>
>>286446
you should not need the BIOS update then.
Did you derp and put the processor in upside down or not push the ram in all the way?
>>
>>286449
No its in the right way lol. I pushed the ram in all the way because it locked it in place.
>>
>>286449
He checked the ram and I think the CPU is alright because you can't close the socket if it's not placed correctly
>>
>>286452
A google search says funny things can happen if you plug the front panel connectors in the wrong ways, remember red is positive black is negative, and refer to the manual for specifics.
>>
>>286447
>>286443
>>286413
Yeah I suggest updating the BIOS then, now that i read this i'm pretty sure it worked after that in my case
>>
I cant boot to bios my monitor just goes to power savings mode
>>
>>286455
This is on page 80 of the manual.
You can only determine the beep code if you have a CMOS speaker though. I'd give you one of mine but, you know
>>
>>286453
Yeah, but physics says it won't.

All that happens if you plug a front-panel LED in backwards is that it doesn't light.
>>
>>286455
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2906583/red-dram-led-post-bios.html strange..

>>286420
Didn't it boot?
>>
>>286461
Computer turns on but the monitor just goes straight to power savings mode
>>
>>286408
Read this! http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2631932/red-light-dram-access-bios.html
>>
>>286464
I have a laptop i can use to download that bios and a usb. Should i try that?
>>
>>286463
if you have a cmos speaker or if u get one before we solve this, it will beep once on successful POST
>>
>>286465
Yes try, I think there isn't much you can do at the moment, I'm the guy that has had the same problem, and i'm 90% sure the bios update solved the problem, so good luck
>>
>>286467
can he flash it without ram?
>>
without compatible ram i mean
>>
>>286467
Will it still update even though i cant access the monitor?
>>
get the cheapest stick of low speed ram you can get your hands on and use that to update the bios, from what I can tell
>>
>>286466
Ya if anything else doesnt work im going to best buy and pick up a cmos speaker
>>
>>286468
yes
>>286471
yes
>>
>>286473
could be a solution, but if ram are too old they might not be recognised though
>>
>>286479
any 4gb ddr4 2133 stick should work
>>
>>286477
Not OP but how? I'm not seeing any sort of way to flash the mobo without being able to access the BIOS
>>
>>286482
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2631932/red-light-dram-access-bios.html
>>
>>286483
>http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2631932/red-light-dram-access-bios.html

This article is dealing with a motherboard that features a BIOS flash port and physical button. The OP's mobo has no such thing.
>>
Damn so do i buy a cmos speaker then
>>
>>286485
Huh, didn't know that, sorry then
>>
forgot pic

tell me OP what is the model of the ram you are using?

And yes you should always have cmos speakers if you are building PCs
>>
>>286486
or that, or try with other ram to acces bios then update.
but the speaker i cheaper so try that first
>>
>>286490

Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB 2X4GB 2133MHZ DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Dual Channel Memory
>>
>>286492
if its 2133 already then buying another 2133 stick would probably just do the same thing its doing. best to get that speaker.
>>
Theres a couple things you could try before you get the speaker.

First, try to get a picture without the video card, take out the video card and plug the monitor directly into the mobo.

Secondly, check your monitor settings. If it is a dell monitor there is a known issue with them where it wont leave powersave unless you unplug the power from it and hold the power button down 10 sec then plug it back in.
Also, make sure the correct input is selected on the monitor.
>>
I might just take it to ncix tomorrow and see what they say
>>
>>286502
At least try onboard video before you do that.
>>
>>286505
Alright but wont i have to install the oss to access bios?
>>
>>286511
what? Of course not. You don't even need hard drives plugged in. Bios is in the motherboard firmware.

Just take out the video card plug the monitor into the back of the motherboard and fire her up and see if that works.
>>
>>286421
>>286513

As we said, try different combinations with different cables (hdmi, display port, er eaven VGA) to see if there is smothing wrong with the video outputs
>>
also give this a read through. same chipset.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3000803/msi-z170a-mate-debug-led.html
>>
>>286519
tl;dr put your ram in slot 1 and 2
>>
>>286502
we're better than ncix btw
>>
>>286521
Already tried that before
>>
>>286513
The monitor still goes in power saving mode.
>>
>>286524
then put 1 stick in slot 2.
>>
>>286526
Currently have one ram stick in the second slot
>>
>>286528
one last thing before i'd say your mobo is DOA, is did you use standoffs? or did you derp that?
>>
>>286435
>Z-170A Pro
>170
I bet you're using an iWhatever-7xxx

You need to update the BIOS, and for that you need to borrow a Skylake.
>>
>>286533
see
>>286446
>>
>>286530
Standoffs are pre installed on the board
>>
>>286530
I don't think it's DOA because fans and leds work so it shouldn't be completly dead, or should it?
Also I had the very same problem and "symptoms", and i got it to work somehow.
>>
>>286541
i leave you with this
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

and this because it bears repeating.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3000803/msi-z170a-mate-debug-led.html
>>
(same problem guy) I'm leaving too, good luck m8
>>
>>286561
Ya thanks man for the help
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.