[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for some rather obscure, weird or older anime to watch.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: 5457-1953264900.jpg (45KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
5457-1953264900.jpg
45KB, 800x450px
Looking for some rather obscure, weird or older anime to watch. I've just seen a lot of the more popular stuff but still haven't sunken that deep.

My favorites:
EoE, Utena, Angel's Egg, Kaiba, FLCL, Lain, Casshern Sins, Mushishi, Ergo Proxy, Belladonna, Tatami Galaxy and Stand Alone Complex

Things/tropes I like in general: psychological drama, sexy girls, surrealism/weirdness, unique art styles, cyberpunk, lone wandering drifters and sexy girls.
>>
A-KITE and Mezzo Forte.
>>
Kara no Kyoukai
>>
Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze
>>
File: Azazels_Dream.jpg (182KB, 1280x717px) Image search: [Google]
Azazels_Dream.jpg
182KB, 1280x717px
>>284309
>surrealism/weirdness

Yondemasu-yo Azazel-San

private investigator who solves cases by summoning demons hires a female assistant.
>>
>>284316
>>284315
>>284310
Thanks, but seen these. Really a fan of Haibane.
>>284328
Haven't seeen this, thanks.
>>
S-cryEd. Grimgar-its an amazing mmo anime. Vandread.
>>
>>284385
Saw Grimgar, thought it was rather average thought the background art was nice.
>>
>>284309
Nice taste OP
I recommend Ping-pong, great artstyle, fantastic sound direction. A little light on sexy girls and cyberpunk though.
>>
>>284309
>surrealism/weirdness
Ultimate teacher starts off very strange and jumps off the deep end almost instantly
>>
Dragon's Heaven
California Crisis
Mind Game
Tekkon Kinkreet
Human Crossing
Dennou Coil
>>
>>284484
Saw Ping Pong, saw everything by Yuasa in fact. Really excited to see how his new studio comes out.
>>284491
Nice, haven't even heard of those.
>>284518
Really liked Dragon's Heaven, even seen my cinegrid for it surfing around here. Haven't seen Human Crossing and California Crisis though, and they seem interesting.
>>
Have you seen GaoGaiGar?
>>
Fairy Florence for 24fps psychedelia.
>>
>>284931
How about SVP for double that
>>
>>284931
Thanks a lot, I love psychodelic stuff, so more will be welcome.
>>284932
What's that?
>>
>>284958
I think you need to go through Kustin Sevakis' Buried Treasure and Pile of Shame series. I'm sure you'd find a lot of great stuff.
>>
>>284978
Damn, thanks a lot for those. Now I've got a lot to look through, especially since I have liked some of the stuff from their lists.
>>
Dead Leaves
>>
If you liked Utena, watch Mawaru Penguindrum. Same creator.
>>
>>285329
Watched both of them, in fact I'm watching Sailor Moon bit by bit with a friend as well, to see some of his early work.

Also, basically from the works I mentioned I have seen everything by Anno, Oshii, Ueda, Tsurumaki, Yuasa and Yamamoto, so I don't need recommendations for any of their directorial works or production in the case of Ueda.
>>
File: 98312406.png (551KB, 1022x1094px) Image search: [Google]
98312406.png
551KB, 1022x1094px
>>284309
The Aquation trilogy has a lot of that
>>
>>285398
>being this bored
It's like that Sakura-fish guy from /a/
>>
>>284309
>EoE
texhnolyze, genocyber, the animatrix
>Utena
five star stories, aria the animation, kaze no na wa amnesia
>Angel's Egg
memories, neo tokyo, ninja scroll, wonder, fantastic planet
>Kaiba
mononoke, the diary of tortov roddle, la maison en petits cubes
>FLCL
redline, mind game, genius party, robot carnival
>Lain
niea_7, haibane renmei, dennou coil, noir
>Casshern Sins
kyuuketsu hime miyu, devilman ova, metropolis
>Mushishi
kino no tabi, wolfs rain
>Ergo Proxy
hack sign, un go, mirai keisatsu urashiman
>Belladonna
gankutsuo, house of five leaves, simoun
>Tatami Galaxy
welcome to the nhk, planetes, digital juice
>Stand Alone Complex
eve no jikan, wonderful days
>>
>>285399
>/y/ning this hard
>>
I haven't seen very many obscure anime, but Gunnm, 3x3 Eyes, Giant Robo might be worth your time. All 90s OVA series. Also watch Memories if you haven't already.
>>
>>284309
Cyber City Oedo 808
Bubblegum Crisis
Alien 9
Angel Cop
Armitage III
Cat girl Nuku Nuku
Birth
Black Jack OVA and Movie
Black Magic M-66
Please Save my Earth
Dirty Pair
Dominion Tank Police
El Hazard
Golden Boy
Golgo 13
Iria: Zeiram The Animation
Junk Boy
Vampire Princess Miyu OVA
Lily C.A.T.
Macross Plus
Wicked City/ Demon City Shinjuku
Megazone 23
Goku: Midnight eye
Patlabor OVA and movies
all of Satoshi Kon's movies
Petshop of Horrors
Twilight Of The Dark Master
Shin Cutey Honey
Space Adventure Cobra (movie)
Speed Grapher
Doomed Megalopolis
Venus Wars

should all be up your ally.
>>
>>285449
>Golden Boy
Painfully mediocre
>Megazone 23
This is perfectly fine, however.
>>
>>285402
Seen most of those, but the ones I have I liked, so I trust your judgement. Especially good to see Wonder, since it's also one of my favorites.

Haven't seen Genocyber, Kaze no na wa amnesia, kyuutetsu hime miyu, hack sign, un go and urashiman. How are those similar to the shows from my list, if you mind summarizing?
>>285449
Thanks, seen a lot of those but haven't seen Doomed Megalopolis, Speed Grapher, Goku, Petshop of Horrors, Lily Cat, Junk Boy, El Hazard, Please Save My Earth, Black Jack, Angel Cop and Cat Girl Nuku Nuku. Which of those do you recommend the most?
>>
>>285454
Hey the dude said he was looking for sexy women. Seemed appropriate

>>285500
Hmm some of those I recommended are bit on the shlocky side,

but out of those I would recommend Black Jack the most, and then Lily Cat. Please save my earth is great to, but has a "read the manga" ending so if that bothers you I'd just skip it
>>
>>285505
>Hey the dude said he was looking for sexy women.
I definitelly am, but I have seen Golden Boy. The swimmer and prez were great, though the motor girl had the best scene probably.
>>
>>285506
You'd probably get some enjoyment out of Junk boy then to. Not nearly as good, but a lot less restrained about it's sexual content
>>
>>285510
It was better than GB
>>
>>285505
>Black Jack
Just downloaded it from bakact and watched the first ep, but I'm wondering. The download has 10 eps, but MAL says the OVA has 12 eps. You know where the difference comes from?
>>
MALs database is shit basically. The first 10 episodes were released in 1993 and was considered the original run.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=525

The final 2 OVAs were released in 2011 after the director died under the title "Black Jack Final." They're in the same cannon, but really should be categorized separately. Honestly they're pretty meh in comparisons. I would only watch them for completions sake
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13889
>>
>>284309
Galaxy Express 999 sounds like it'd be up your alley
>>
>>286244
I watched about five eps some time ago. Love the idea in general and Maetel is great, but the excecution is what makes it hard for me to sink in. I do plan on coming back to it.
>>
>>286663
I've never watched the series, but I personally loved the movie version.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1301/Ginga_Tetsudou_999_Movie
>>
>>284309
Kaiji
Cromartie High school
and any satoshi kon film you haven't watched yet
and paranoia agent
>>
>>286875
Thanks, though I've seen all of these.
>>
>>286889
Have you seen any Kenji Miyazawa adaptations?
https://myanimelist.net/people/10101/Kenji_Miyazawa
>>
>>286905
Seen only Night on the Galactic Express, Restaurant of Many Orders and Gauche. Which other ones are worth checking out.
>>
>>287168
All of them are worth checking out for being based on Kenji Mayazawa's work, you have to decide for yourself if they are actually good. I liked the semi-biographic movie by Shoji Kawamori (read up on his life before watching) and the short Yodaka no Hoshi, based on one of his most famous stories.

You may also be interested in Yoji Kuri's work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C5%8Dji_Kuri
>>
File: NOPE.webm (777KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.webm
777KB, 720x480px
>>284309
not obscure, but weird and old: Excel Saga

I'm watching Mushishi right now and the tone reminds me a lot of Bartender.

also I didn't finish it but I liked what I saw: Better Man
>>
>>287185
>You may also be interested in Yoji Kuri's work.
Seen pretty much all of it that is available. Didn't really like his work that much, but I did like what his student - Taku Furukawa made.
>>
>>284309
>Casshern Sins
Well obviously you should watch the original Casshern then.

Also Aim for the Ace! and Cutey Honey (1973) if you want other good old stuff.
>>
>>287402
>Aim for the Ace!
Film or tv series?
>>
Earth Maiden Arjuna
It can be hella problematic at times, the moral messages will trigger anyone, be it /pol/ or Tumblr. You WILL get triggered. But if you can stand a few episodes of the show forcing lessons against everything you support down your throat, you will get a pretty interesting anime, and with great production quality.
You can give it a try.

>>284518
>>284522
A bit annoyed that you just skipped over Dennou Coil, which is amazing.
>>
>>287555
Either or both. The movie tries to make a more conclusive story though, as the TV series later got sequels.
>>
>>287677
>A bit annoyed that you just skipped over Dennou Coil, which is amazing.
I have seen Dennou Coil
>>
>>287677
>It can be hella problematic at times, the moral messages will trigger anyone, be it /pol/ or Tumblr. You WILL get triggered.
I also don't get triggered by stuff like this at all. I find the whole anti-tumblr/feminist/leftist fashionn amusing. To me it's important if the message is presented through an interesting narrative.
>>
>>287868
You can watch it, then.

A little bit spoilers, some of the messages are:
-the meat industry is bad
-modern farming is bad
-starving children in Africa
-abortion is bad
-pollution is bad
-modern medicine is bad (with hints of anti vaccination)
-gender is determined by the chromosomes
-GMO is bad

I loved the first episodes, I am not one of those people who get triggered by the idea that eating meat or fighting pollution is bad, and it was really well made, but eventually the lessons became too problematic for me to properly enjoy it, but I ended up liking the last episodes too, and overall an enjoyable anime if you can deal with the messages
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.