[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been avoiding iOS10 because of the battery issues,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: iOS-10-beta-1-release-date.jpg (18KB, 730x500px) Image search: [Google]
iOS-10-beta-1-release-date.jpg
18KB, 730x500px
I've been avoiding iOS10 because of the battery issues, but I finally can't anymore because an app I need for work requires 10. The thing is, I understand that the way iOS updates work is by wiping your device and then reinstalling from a backup. What I need to know is:

1. Does it REALLY reinstall everything as-is? I have some old versions of apps that have since been ruined by updates, so it's no good to me if it just redownloads a new copy from the app store.

2. What happens to apps that have a lot of data within them, like art programs for instance? Does that all get backed up and restored as well?
>>
>>283119
Bump.
>>
>>283119
That is wrong. You don't need to wipe your device, just go into settings > software update and it'll update.
>>
>>283119
iOS does not back up apps at all. What happens is that all the settings and documents created by the app get included in the backup, and then when you restore a backup they get placed in an area called the safeharbour.

When you install an app, the installer checks the safeharbour, and if it finds backed-up settings for the app, it moves them from the safeharbour into the app's container, so the app appears exactly the way it was when you backed it up.

When you restore an iDevice, it gets from the restore a list of apps to acquire (and where their icon goes). The first time it boots it will try to acquire the apps from whatever source it was restored from (i.e. if you did an iTunes restore, it will ask iTunes; if you did an iCloud restore it will download them).

To do what you're trying to do, back up the device with iTunes, use Explorer to move all your .IPAs to a safe place out of your iTunes library, then File-->Devices-->Transfer_Purchases . This will fill your iTunes library with .IPAs created from your device, and if you don't update them in iTunes, iTunes will restore the exact same versions of your apps that you had before.
>>
>>283119
2: iTunes backs up everything but temporary files. iCloud backs up everything but temporary files and files the app can download again. It is the developer's responsibility to correctly mark things for iCloud to back up.
>>
>>283119
>I have some old versions of apps that have since been ruined by updates, so it's no good to me if it just redownloads a new copy from the app store.
So long as you've kept the IPA, you can always install old versions, even if there's a newer version already on the device.

Either drop the IPA over the picture of the device in iTunes, or use a third-party tool like iDeviceInstaller.

It needs to be your IPA that you've kept though. Some random IPA you got from the Internet won't work, because it won't be signed for your account, so you can't sign it for your device.
>>
>iOS10 because of the battery issues
the what now?
>I understand that the way iOS updates work is by wiping your device and then reinstalling from a backup.
well that's 100% wrong.
>What happens to apps that have a lot of data within them, like art programs for instance? Does that all get backed up
if anything gets backed up app data will be.
>>
>>283283
OP is not restoring, they're updating. none of that is necessary or helpful
>>
>>283324
Unless it fucks up, at which point you need to do a restore.

Twat.
>>
>>283290
And just doublechecking, this is still possible without jailbreaking, right? It would give me a HUGE amount of peace of mind to know I could always roll back to my collection of IPAs, since a lot of recent app updates have been awful.

>>283323
>the what now?
Since iOS10, there's been a pretty widespread battery bug where your device will shut off at 30-40% battery and will not turn back on. But upon plugging it in and booting it up, you'll find you still have that 30-40%.
>>
>>283581
This is possible without jailbreaking, PROVIDED you're using the actual IPAs that you downloaded from the App Store with your account, and not some IPA you got off the Internet.

Note that iTunes, by default, moves your old IPAs into the recycle bin when it downloads newer ones.

Also note that if you update your app to the newest version, it may convert its data to a format the older app can't read, so if you then downdate the app you might lose your data. It won't be able to do the conversion if you don't run it, though.
>>
This is a similar request i have.. Is their any way you can uninstall IOS 10? I fucking hate it.
>>
>>283588
Nope, iOS devices will only boot if their OS is signed by Apple's validation server, and it usually only hands out signatures for the latest OS.

It's not a case of "you can only upgrade" or "you can't downgrade"; it's literally "you can only install the versions Apple lets you".
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.