[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /wsr/. My best friend has a Samsung phone and a Samsung

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Hello /wsr/.

My best friend has a Samsung phone and a Samsung TV. He can stream content from his phone to his TV, however, since the WiFi he is using is Internet connected, even though he has free streaming on his phone (T-mobile) he still exceeds his monthly data cap on his Internet connection because the video is streaming from his broadband connection through his phone to his TV.
Video quality is not a concern because he is legally blind and can't tell the difference between 480p and 1080p.
Is it possible to set up an ad-hoc wireless network in his home that's not Internet connected? If so, what would he need? I want to buy the equipment for him for his birthday. Pretty much all he does is watch TV and the data cap is killing his rather limited budget.
>>
>>281772
No, then it just wouldn't work.

It looks like it's streaming from the phone to the TV, but what's actually happening is the phone goes "hey, stream this from here", and the TV goes "hey, sures" and gets the video straight from the source.

If the TV didn't have an Internet connection, it wouldn't be able to contact the source, and wouldn't be able to stream anything.
>>
>>281777
So, there's no dongle/device/app that would let him do that?

Maybe I'm just being thick, but the stream (as far as the television is concerned) is coming from the phone.

I was thinking that since the phone can "bind" (wrong term, I'm sure) WiFi and 4G together to maximize data throughput that it could still be connected to the TV via WiFi and get the video data via its 4G connection.

Or is he screwed?
>>
>>281793
>Maybe I'm just being thick, but the stream (as far as the television is concerned) is coming from the phone.
If you were streaming a game, perhaps, but with traditional media the phone tells the TV where to get the stream, and then the TV goes and gets it, then the TV seeks to where the phone was in the stream so it looks like it's coming from the phone when it actually isn't.

It does this because most people have metered 3G and unmetered DSL, not the other way round.
>>
>>281793
Why not get the phone an HDMI cable?
>>
>>281797

Crap.

>>281798

I am totally not savvy when it comes to HDMI/phone stuff, but the few products I saw on Amazon and the Samsung website either did not list the S7 as a compatible device or specifically said they would not work with the S7.

One example here:

https://www.amazon.com/Epicdealz-Adapter-Samsung-Galaxy-N9008V/dp/B00VAKUS5Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1489748071&sr=8-7&keywords=galaxy+s7+hdmi+cable
>>
>>281801
Consensus seems to be that they don't work with the S7, because these dongles don't actually do anything apart from change the shape of the connector, and S7 can't do HDMI.
>>
>>281804
Ah, delightful.
>>
most smart tvs these days come with an USB port.. so...
>>
>>281822
The TV he has will actually play multimedia files off a USB stick or an external HDD, but when the phone is plugged in, nothing happens.
>>
>>281924
Does the S7 has an SD Card slot? Maybe if you have one in it could read files off there.
I don't quite understand why the T-Mobile data is coming into it though? Isn't the Phone on WiFi, streaming to the TV which is also on WiFi?
>>
>>282027
Maybe try reading the OP?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.