[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is wrong with my computer? >no display >fans and shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: motherboard.jpg (442KB, 1094x936px) Image search: [Google]
motherboard.jpg
442KB, 1094x936px
What is wrong with my computer?
>no display
>fans and shit still working as usual
>mobo leds which indicate "power on", "memory slot is functional" and "stanby mode" all shining at the same time
>changed mobo battery, no effect
>sometimes when I knocked computer ":D" or kept it in certain position I got display (no anymore, but back then it worked on this problem)
>processor fan is spinning only about 400 rpm when other fans spin over 1500 rpm
>tried clearing cmos, no effect
Motherboard: Evga x58 sli classified
Cpu: Intel i-7 from stone age
Graphic card: geforce gtx 660
Parts are old af, but you know, no money no funny, so I have to find out something. Mobo broken? Ideas?
>>
bumb
>>
>sometimes when I knocked computer ":D" or kept it in certain position I got display (no anymore, but back then it worked on this problem)
The wires in your display cable might be broken. Your physical display port may be broken.
Or, very rarely, you might have positioned your computer next to a megawatt antenna or nuclear reactor.

If your motherboard has onboard graphics, try taking out your card and using onboard. Maybe you can leech a VGA cable from someone or somewhere and see if changing the cable makes a difference.

If you're competent enough you could also boot into a linux live USB without display and send all output to your printer instead of a screen.

All other options cost money, although a second-hand shitty GPU should be bugetable.
>>
>>264946
>If you're competent enough you could also boot into a linux live USB without display and send all output to your printer instead of a screen.
Okay, my bad, I was meaning it doesn't boot at all.
Board doesn't have onboard graphics, but I think I should check the wires, ty for that. I'm thinking I'm going to just buy some second hand mobo, because according to some sources stand by mode led indicates to dead mobo.
>>
>>264922
Need POSTcard
>>
File: isthismotherfuckinggame.jpg (63KB, 539x530px) Image search: [Google]
isthismotherfuckinggame.jpg
63KB, 539x530px
>>265058
>>
>>264922
I have this board here, and I know it fairly well. What does the diagnostic LED display when you start, and at what digits does it stop?

>Okay, my bad, I was meaning it doesn't boot at all.
Dafuq do you mean then? It boots (how do you know?) but without displaying anything on your monitor? Then your graphics card or slot is broken.
>>
>>265140
It doesn't show any digits.
>I was meaning it doesn't boot at all.
According to my poor English skills that sentence implicates that it does NOT boot, which is the case.
>>
>>265453
My poor eyesight read that wrong, I apologize. I read that as "...I WASN'T meaning..." for some reason.
No digits are a very terrible sign. Chances that your board is fucked are high.
If you have the rare E759 version of the board, then you should have the ECP bundled, which you can use like another diagnostics LED. Try that if you can, if not, you can only remove parts to find out what is wrong.
Like, use a different cable as suggested, remove all RAM modules except one, use another cheap $10 CPU,...
These boards are still crazy expensive, they can go for $200 with accessories, so I'd try to replace that last unless you are planning on switching the entire platform anyway.
>>
>>265558
I actually have E759 version, and I tried diagnostics with ECP. Didn't show any digits, though. I already tried different cables and removing RAMs, no effect. I'll try to get CPU and GPU from somewhere and try if it clears anything. Thanks for tips.
>>
If noth diagnostic LEDs and ECP do not show anything, chances are extremely high your board is dead.
Such a shame, there are not a lot of these E759 left...
>>
Take all your ram sticks out and switch their positions.Make sure you get em back in well till they are tightly fitting in place.
>>
Since your board is probably dead, remember that E759 accessories are still sought after before you trash anything, especially the ECP and its cable. You'll probably get $10+ for that.
>>
>>266087
>>266331
Yeah I too think that it's the end of the road of that motherboard. It's still nice to hear that these accessories are worth something, I do have some other parts also along the ECP.
Btw, just thinking more or less jokingly, what is usually the reason why mobos get dead? Could there be any hardcore things to do?

>>266104
Already tried, no effect.
>>
>>266527
Most of the time a cap blows, which you would usually smell and see. Other than that, physical damage or wear on the printed circuits. For example because someone slipped with a screwdriver. And in rare cases because of too high voltages, but most voltages on X58 are bad for your CPU in high doses, and are less deadly for your board.

For example, if you were to run 1.7V QPI pll, 1.6V IOH or 1.8Vtt for a long time, your board might die. But chances are most CPUs would die before that.
>>
>>266732
>most CPUs would die before that.
I assume we've tried with a known-good CPU and not just jumped the gun?
>>
>>266739
I don't think OP did, but I've never had both onboard LED and ECP not showing anything on a working board.Dead CPu should just get into a loop at 55/57/C0 or similar.

Well, there do you live, OP? Maybe someone can lend you a cheap 1366 CPU.
>>
>>266751
Yeah I'll try to find one and been thinking also about trying another PSU, just for lulz.
>>
>>267021
Well, completely dead mobo is a classic symptom of no +5VSB.

You can test that with a PSU tester or a multimeter though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.