[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone here please spoonfeed a retard? i want to setup an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: specs.png (24KB, 464x420px) Image search: [Google]
specs.png
24KB, 464x420px
can someone here please spoonfeed a retard?
i want to setup an arch installation with a windows 10 virtual machine but im too dumb to do shit in arch
the last time i installed arch i couldnt make my extra monitors work and my resolution was completely fucked
i already checked for compatibility with gpu passthrough on both my motherboard and on my CPU and they work fine
i will be a tripfag on this thread just so someone doesnt troll me predenting to be me
anyway, here are my specs
>>
shiet i forgot my trip
here it is
>>
>>263693
1. if not trolling, why arch? easiest way would likely be ubuntu
2. virt-manager takes some of the legwork out of setting it up
3. if you already setup vt-d and checked for iommu and stuff good
4. setup the windows machine without passthrough first, then install gpu drivers, then shutdown/passthrough/startup and pray.
5. if multi cpu make sure you have enough pcie lanes or you'll get weird studders and low frames, not all slots on mobo are the same either, rtfm

6. i see nvidia, if passthrough MAKE SURE you hide the vm from the guest os or nvidia drivers will blacklist you
>>
>>263706
5. should have said multi gpu sorry
>>
>>263706
>pray
why? can this fuck up my card?

>arch is hard
i can install arch with a installer
and i really want to rice this kek

>nvidia blacklist
how do i hide it to avoid that?
also, why would they blacklist a VM?
>>
>>263709
4. not damage, just black screen making you unpassthrough, reinstall virtual display, troubleshoot drivers, then passthrough again

1. fine

6. nvidia are fuckers about this. it's why i bought inferior team red just to spite them (although im quite happy with the rx460)

basically nvidia considers running in a vm an enterprise feature and wants you to buy a quadro. it used to be you could softmod your card into a shitty quadro version to bypass this but now it takes soldering resisters to change the model.

kvm lets you hide the fact your running in a vm from the guest os, esxi does not. don't try consumer nvidia passthrough on esxi

also fuck nvidia
>>
>>263711
k, im burning a arch installer iso to usb
what should i do so arch lets me use multiple monitors?
also, should i just go with ubuntu for easier resolutions for these kind of problems?
what *buntu should i use for this?
>>
>>263711
i forgot this one thing
can i use my gpu on linux if the VM is closed?
>>
>>263714
well i'm boring and like stable so i use 16.04 LTS w/ stack enablement for newer kernel (and xbox one controller support and amdgpu)

also ubuntu has a forum dedicated to virtualization where many many people have done this and you can post and will likely get straight answers

i don't know arch, only ubuntu/deb, opensuse and gentoo, but passthrough is like having the gpu dedicated to that machine, so if the gpu would support multi monitors native, it will support multiple monitors passthrough. if you want one gpu on the host and one on the guest refer to your mobo specs for what pcie configs it can run because often a second gpu degrades the first (cause they're expecting sli, not independent operation)
>>
>>263716
so.... if i pass my gpu to the VM, i cant use my display ports to use my monitors on linux?
>>
>>263715
i recommend a 2nd gpu or a 2nd computer to ssh from

switching your monitor from host to guest is non-trivial, i don't really understand the whole thing but something about the bios locking the main gpu to the framebuffer on boot or something
>>
>>263717
i never made it work, however you can logon from the windows guest to the host linux machine to do admin, it's just tricking in boot / troubleshoot scenarios.

also usb and udev needs to be configured to passthrough keyboard/mouse which is fun and usually requires unplugging and replugging mouse and keyboard after vm has started and some other oddities. soundcard passthrough works fine though
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.