[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello guys, my GTX 480 got burned due to power going off unexpectedly.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 157021900_10.jpg (258KB, 980x1472px) Image search: [Google]
157021900_10.jpg
258KB, 980x1472px
Hello guys, my GTX 480 got burned due to power going off unexpectedly. I don't really want to upgrade my PC right now, I just want to replace the faulty component with another graphic card with about the same power.

I don't really know which kind of card is equal to mine in these days, I'm asking you guys what kind of graphic card would suit me best.

Here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.00 GHz
RAM Kingston 4GB DD3
NVIDIA GTX 480
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>262014
You say you don't want to upgrade your PC right now, but you could have a PC that runs most modern games in High/Ultra at 1080 for $150: just add a GTX 1050/1050Ti and another 4GB.
>>
>>262015
First of all thanks for responding. I haven't played videogames for about 2 years now, that's the reason of not wanting to upgrade, but also that I don't have enough money to make a full upgrade, so adding new components would only cause a bottleneck.
>>
>>262017
Bottleneck is a meme, OP.

All it means is that some component is giving you 100% of the performance it's capable of. You're always going to have a "bottleneck" because a system where every component is precisely matched and every game is designed to use each of them equally is called a "console".

But anyway.

Your PC is ripe for this upgrade, because the 10x0 series is the first decent GPU since forever. GPUs have always been made on third-party fabs, and these fabs have always lagged behind the CPU manufacturers by 3-5 years. 10x0 is the first time a third-party fab has been within a year of what Intel is up to, and the difference is astronomical. Every 10x0 outperfoms the next-model-up 9x0, and does it while costing less and using less power. This is the biggest thing to have happened to gaming since 3DFX.

You can turn any desktop PC, even a ten-year-old Core2, into a capable modern gaming machine just by giving it enough RAM and a $110 GTX 1050. And when you do, it runs cooler, quieter, and uses less power. For the first time ever, upgrading your GPU makes your PC better without any tradeoff whatsoever.
>>
>>262026
Alright, I will follow your advice. Should I replace the old RAM or just integrate the 2 new cards with the old ones?

Thanks for the help.
>>
>>262030
Whatever's cheapest, really. The idea is that you end up with a gaming machine that's "pretty good" for as little money as possible.

If your motherboard has four slots, 4x2GB is usually the best value for money. If you can get to 2x2GB+2x4GB for not much more, I'd recommend doing that.
>>
>>262030
Obviously you're not going to get all the performance a modern machine with the same GPU would have, but this kind of gameplay is representative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Dc1gkQF0Q .

If you do decide you want to get into gaming again, you can get a new i3 with no GPU and keep the card. For this reason, I'd recommend getting a 1050Ti over a 1050: it's only $20 more, but it gives you significantly more than $20 of extra performance in a modern PC.
>>
>>262038
>>262034
Thank you very much, very appreciated.
>>
just use pc part picker dot com dude bottle neck isnt a meme it is real
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.