[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>open up gpu for the first time in 5 years >see this i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170112_171436.jpg (3MB, 2400x3200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170112_171436.jpg
3MB, 2400x3200px
>open up gpu for the first time in 5 years
>see this
i guess the factory dudes binged on thermal paste for some reason, can this be bad?
>>
File: IMG_20170112_171448.jpg (4MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170112_171448.jpg
4MB, 3200x2400px
>>250448
>>
>>250448
Possibly, it may be too much of it. I fI were you I would clean it off and put some new thermal paste on it yourself.
>>
>>250454
i did so but couldnt get it off completely, i was mainly wondering if that might have been the cause of some problems ive been having, clouds of sparks and such
>>
>>250458
>clouds of sparks

That doesn't sound good. You should try and get it completely off.
>>
>>250461
what could i use for that? q tips are torn apart by the small metal thingies and i cant get coffee filters into these tiny gaps
sparks were rare but after the first time it started "overheating", or at least shutting down programs, at 80°C and below
with the stuff i did i already lowered idle temps by ~6° tho so i might be just fine now
>>
>>250466
Isopropanol and a kitchen roll, then isopropanot and a q-tip.

You don't need to worry about the stuff that's spilled off the sides of the die: it's not on the thermal interface, and it's not hurting anything just being there.
>>
>>250448
Seeing as your card is ancient and dying, you should probably think about replacing it with a 10-series.

The 1050 outperforms your card, and uses half as much power. This means it'll be quieter, cooler, and live longer.
>>
>>250473
then the even older rest if my pc would bottleneck and make all that dosh halfly wasted
i can run all games i tried at ok settings getting 60fps usually even though i am underclocking to avoid overheating atm, though the most intense games i tried probably were witcher 3 and deus ex md
>>
>>250478
its a gtx 660 ti so actually more like 4.5 yrs
>>
>>250478
>bottleneck
That's a meme, OP.

Will the "bottleneck police" show up and arrest you? No.

Just turn the resolution up, and switch on all the GPU-intensive detail settings.

>>250478
>i am underclocking to avoid overheating atm
See. Wouldn't it be nice to have a GPU that runs at 60 the whole time? All this can be yours for $110.
>>
>>250481
yeah just realized its that cheap, ill get my penny jar right away lmao
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.