[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /wsr/ I was wondering if you guys knew what kind of computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1480208791514.png (369KB, 447x723px) Image search: [Google]
1480208791514.png
369KB, 447x723px
Hey /wsr/ I was wondering if you guys knew what kind of computer I should get for gaming. I have no clue when it comes to this kind of stuff so, what do you guys recommend?
>>
>>248587
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/

Use American site if you're from the US.
Try to stray away from prebuilt computers from a store like Alienware shit.

Set a limit for yourself for how much you want to spend in total and see what you can put together that doesn't go past it.
>>
>>248587
What kind of games, and what's your budget?
>>
>>248598
Overwatch, CoD, etc.
My max is $700
>>
>>248593
Whats wrong with the pre-built if you don't mind me asking
>>
>>248615
They usually skimp out on things that aren't marketable to idiots. For example motherboard, RAM, and especially power supply.
In addition to that, they also cost more than buying exactly what you want/need individually.

There are also stores like Mindfactory that pre-assemble any parts you pick.
This is still cheaper than a prebuilt but of course more expensive than just assembling it yourself, which any non-retard can do.
But I don't know if there are stores for this in whatever country you live.
>>
>>248627
I live in Canada so I've never heard of any store called MindFactory
>>
>>248627
Not all the time though, Alienware previously used MSI motherboards with decent VRMs and VRM cooling. They however switched to Pegatron now and the quality is utter shite
>>
>>248629
Maybe newegg delivers to Canada? I really don't know any specific names, but there should be a few stores delivering individual stores even in your snowy hole of a country.
>>
>>248627
Like any of that matters.

Motherboard and power supply either work or they don't. Only thing that matters about RAM is whether or not you have enough of it.

The idiots are the people who care about it having black anodised crap stuck all over it, which is why the same foundries can take the exact same dies, stick them on a black PCB, add a spikey heatsink, call them an Ext3rminat0r RAMp@g3 XXS, and sell them at a 100% markup.
>>
>>248634
I doubt it but I'll do some research on different places in my area that I can build a computer
>>
>>248654
Some OEM motherboards do not even have a PCH heatsink. They may work now but if you do not clean it regularly be prepared to shove it into the oven for the solder to be reflowed.
>>
>>248654
>exact same dies
Silicon lottery is a thing you know
>>
>>248606
>$700
You're gonna have to build a PC with a budget that low. You'll want to purchase stuff in order of priority.

Top priority stuff: CPU and GPU. Don't be afraid to spend a lot of money on these because they are doing the heavy lifting in a gaming rig, and upgrading them is always expensive so it's best to bite the bullet now.

Middle priority: HDD and motherboard. You don't want to leave these for last because the motherboard can limit your options for other parts so it's best to sort it out early on so you can match compatibility more easily. HDD is put here just cause you don't want to leave it til last and find out you only have enough money for some tiny, shitty thing. Get a decent amount of storage, games can take up a lot of space.

Lower Priority: PSU, RAM, CD/DVD drive. These you can just fill in based on compatibility with other parts, the PSU in particular is useful to fill in near last after you know what your power requirements are. Get one that more than covers your needs. For RAM you want like 12 gigs, at least.

Bottom Priority: Case, Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard. These you can get for free from friends or scavenge from older machines, when I built my first PC I didn't pay for any of these parts. You can always upgrade them later when you have the cash.
>>
>>248672
Sure, which is where "automatic overclocking" profiles come in.

This ingenious piece of marketing lets you charge more for the same silicon, and lets you make exaggerated performance claims on the packaging, yet protects you from having to make any kind of actual warranty WRT performance, because these speeds are "overclocked", i.e. the customer's fault/problem.

But hey, they're the same colour as the motherboard and the heatsink's the same colour as the wires, so it's all good.
>>
>>248676
I'll slowly build it so I'll up my cost but that really helps. Thanks
>>
>>248681
In that case you can bump HDD down to lower priority, just so long as you get a decently sized one. 1TB is the lowest amount you should go. And maybe consider putting monitor into lower priority since this is a gaming machine so you'll want a display capable of HD.
>>
>>248693
Alright, thanks
>>
>>248680
And yes, an i3 and an i7 can have the same silicon as well. Ingenious isn't it?

So what if they have the same silicon? A premium product is a premium product, you are just salty you cannot afford them.
>customer's fault/problem
>Implying you are being honest when the shop asks you if you OC'd your RAM
KEK
>>
>>248703
You're missing the point.

They actively market it as "extreme RAM", and its SPD has an "extreme memory profile"in it, but if the part can't actually perform to that profile, it's not their problem, because they *techically* didn't ever claim it could do it.

See also the K processors, which are heavily implied to be overclockable, but "heavily implied" is not actually a guarantee, and they'll honour the warranty in monopoly money.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.