[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

a couple of months ago i was having a problem with my pc where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Computer-Smash_iStock.jpg (124KB, 685x511px) Image search: [Google]
Computer-Smash_iStock.jpg
124KB, 685x511px
a couple of months ago i was having a problem with my pc where it kept shutting off and restarting on its own. it would just happen out of nowhere. sometimes it would happen within 15 minutes after turning on my pc and other times it would go days without doing it.

i ended up buying a new psu thinking that might be the problem, but the problem persisted. I bought a new cpu cooler for my i7 3770. It was the cryorig h7. That seemed to have fixed my problem.

i recently bought a new case for the holidays and so i switched everything over and now my pc keeps shutting off and turning back on by itself. i already reseated the cpu cooler just in case something had happened while i was moving everything over and its still happening. i dont get any warnings.

it has never happened to me while im playing video games, so i dont think my cpu is overheating. usually happens while im watching youtube videos, or even sometimes while im not even using my computer.
ive made sure that nothing is loose, but i have no idea what it could be. my SSD? my HDD? my Motherboard? my RAM? my GPU?

any ideas?

only my pc turns off. not anything else thats plugged in to my pc or the same wall socket.
>>
Any consistency as to how soon it resets? You could always leave it in the BIOS screen for a few hours and see if it resets there, at least get the OS out of the equation. Also, how clean is your power? Any nearby strong sources of EM interference?
>>
>>243312
nope, like i said, sometimes itll go days without restarting. but thats not a bad idea, ill try that soon.

no, nothing like that that would be causing this.
ive had this pc for about 6 years, it only started happening about 6 months ago and stopped for about 3 months before it started up again when i switched everything over to my new case.
>>
Man, that sucks. If you can think of anything that changed 6 months ago that might be a help. Most of my debugging go-tos tend to work better for problems that rear their heads faster (reseat all components, try another PSU, memtest, prime95 burnin for CPU, etc). In the worst cases I'll rebuild the system component by component starting with a motherboard with only CPU/fan and RAM (not even a case, had a few times in the past where a friend's motherboard made contact and shorted out).

Any differences in the cases? One metal vs other one plastic? Different placement or environmentals? Does the cat love rubbing up against the new one?
>>
>>243320
my last case was the antec two hundred three, my new case is the s340 elite. but like i said, it was happening on my old case too until i changed my cpu cooler. but its the same cpu cooler now so maybe i didnt actually fix it and it just didnt do it for a couple of months for whatever reason. i already tried memtest before. so i dont think its my ram.

literally nothing has changed except for the case.

the wierd thing is that it restarts on its own. it completely shuts off without warning and 3 seconds later it starts up again.

the worst part is that theres no real way of knowing if i fixed it right away since it can go days without shutting off.
>>
I'd say unless you want to spend lots of time (de/re)assembling it, just stick with trying to cut the OS out of the picture first. Whenever you're done using the box reboot to BIOS, leave it there until next time you want to use it. If you come back and it's in the OS you know it booted itself, one fewer factor to consider.
>>
>>243327
i'll do that today over night.

but if it is in the OS then that means the OS isnt the problem, then what could it be?
>>
>>243376
If only the case is the same, it's probably the reset/power button assembly in the case that is randomly shorting out. Try wiring a seperate power button on the power jumper on your motherboard and check if the problem persists.

Another explanation could be that the power socket you're using doesn't provide the necessary power, seems unlikely, but testing a totally different socket on a different breaker can easily put that doubt to rest.
>>
>>243514
It's everything but the case that's the same.
>>
>>243545
>>243327

OK, so left my computer in the BIOS over night and it did not turn off. but it did freeze. did the same thing when i went to work and when I came back it was frozen. i dont know if that means anything though.
>>
>>243759
If you leave it on the hardware monitor screen in the BIOS, it'll freeze in whatever state caused it to freeze.
>>
>>243760
im an idiot, what does that mean?
>>
>>243776
There's a screen somewhere in your BIOS that shows you your voltages and temperatures.

When your computer freezes, it'll show you the voltages and temperatures it was at when it froze.

If one or more of them is wrong, then problem found. If not then not.
>>
>>243798
OK I'll make sure to leave it on that screen over night this time.
>>
>>243514
Well that would make sense except that I was having the same problem with my last computer case. Unless it my motherboard that has the problem and not my cases. Honestly I think it might be my OS. Don't remember having that problem before I switched to Windows 10. But the problem didn't start u til a couple of months after I switched so I never really considered it.

As far as the outlet goes, I would think that if that was the problem then everything else that's connected to that outlet would also shut off, not just my PC. I have a little light up clock connected to it, if it shut off I would see it flashing the wrong time. Or is that not how it would work?
>>
>>243798
ok so i left it in the BIOS on the hardware monitor screen and all of the text disappears . the mouse is still able to move around, but i cant click into any other menus. all of the voltages and temperatures that were there before are gone, its just the background image of the bios thats left.
>>
>>244146
there are sometimes programs that monitor CPU temperature while the OS is running. Coretemp with addgadget's cpu monitor is the one i use. very handy when the thermal conductant on my heatsink dried out and my machine kept overheating.
>>
>>243310
It's probably blue screening due to some conflict or faulty driver/hardware but it won't show the prompt because the default setting is set to reboot automatically. Change the setting in the properties of my computer. Right click my computer select properties and one of the tabs will have a setting that says something like "reboot automatically on system error". Uncheck that radio button.

Sorry I can't remember the exact tab and the exact setting. But it's there somewhere.
>>
>>244631
nope thats not it, ive had that unchecked for a long long time.
>>
File: error.png (409KB, 1920x1632px) Image search: [Google]
error.png
409KB, 1920x1632px
ok so i ran a diagnostics test and i got this. it might not even mean anything, but could this be the source?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.