[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

getting a new motherboard and need to install windows 10 again,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1460082292934.jpg (333KB, 851x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1460082292934.jpg
333KB, 851x1280px
getting a new motherboard and need to install windows 10 again, I have it on my SSD, but the motherboard needs something to boot from, what do?
>>
I keep some OS's and other software on a flash drive.
Flash drives are very cheap and are good to have around for reasons like this.
http://www.newegg.com/USB-Flash-Drives/SubCategory/ID-522?Tpk=flash%20drive
http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/04/how-to-create-a-bootable-windows-10-usb-flash-drive-2/
>>
>>243233
I have a flash drive, do I just copy the windows folder to it?
>>
>>243224
Just use the Windows Media Creation Tool (google it). That's what it's for.

Note that if you didn't get your Windows in a box, you can't transfer it from one motherboard to another, unless the outgoing motherboard is broken. If Windows came with your motherboard, and your motherboard is not broken, you need to buy a new license.
>>
>>243224
Also you probly don't need to install Windows again, just enable the boot menu (http://winaero.com/blog/enable-the-legacy-windows-7-like-boot-menu-in-windows-10/), swap the drive into the new PC, and the first time you boot it, boot it in safe mode.
>>
>>243241
Read the second link.
>>
>>243253
Or just do what he said, I guess: >>243251
>>
>>243254
Make a windows boot USB first, because you'll feel pretty stupid if you need a PC to make one to fix your PC.
>>
>>243248
>Note that if you didn't get your Windows in a box, you can't transfer it from one motherboard to another, unless the outgoing motherboard is broken.
I talked to them and they told me I could as long as I have my product ID
>>
>>243265
You only have a product id if you bought Windows on its own.

If you bought Windows on its own, just type your product key in and it'll activate just fine.

If you got Windows with your PC, you'll need to lie and say the motherboard is broken. Before transferring anything, on your old PC, go to the activation page in Settings, and link your Windows to your Microsoft Account. Then when you build your new PC, retrieve your old license using your Microsoft Account. And then if it tells you you need to activate by phone, phone them up and lie and say you changed the motherboard because the motherboard was broken.
>>
>>243278
oh I got it for free but I still have a product key
>>
>>243248
>Windows Media Creation Tool
I used that and downloaded the 64 bit version and was going to test it on my computer and got an error message that said use the other installation disk that says 64 bit
da fuck?
>>
>>243398
There's the 32-bit tool that RUNS on 32-bit machines, and the 64-bit tool that RUNS on 64-bit machines, and either of them can make a 32-bit disk that INSTALLS 32-bit windows, or a 64-bit disk that INSTALLS 64-bit windows, or a disk that has both and can install both.

You need to get whichever version runs on the windows you already have, then use it to make whichever version you want to install.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.