[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If a project is open source does that mean I can integrate it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: plotly.png (12KB, 560x140px) Image search: [Google]
plotly.png
12KB, 560x140px
If a project is open source does that mean I can integrate it within my project freely for commercial use?

I want to use plotly for line graphing in javascript but I'm not sure if I can without getting sued.
>>
>>240595
Maybe. Read the terms of the license.
>>
>>240596
Here's the license.

So do I just include a
>Copyright (c) 2016 Plotly, Inc
And a link to the license in each page including plotly and I should be good?
>>
>>240600

You might want to read on open source licenses.

Here's a good rundown of the MIT license: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License

From what I can tell, you're free to do pretty much whatever you want with it, so long as you include a LICENSE file with the MIT license on it. I think so, anyway. I'm not too versed on open source licenses. But I think the wiki entry is a good place to start.
>>
>>240603
Here's a site explaining it

https://tldrlegal.com/license/mit-license
>>
>>240600
You need to include the actual license, not just the copyright statement.

But you can include it in the source code; you don't need to display it to the user. Google "obnoxious advertising clause" to see the difference.

If you do have an "about..." page that lists the copyright status of the work, then it would be factually correct to include the library's copyright line, but there's no legal requirement to have an about page, and no requirement that an about page actually be correct.
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 750x560px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 750x560px
>>240600
Here's Apple using MIT code in iOS.

There's no copyright statement in the places the code is used, but there's a "legal notices" page for the entire OS, and that includes the copyright statement and license in its entirety.

It does it for every piece of OSS in iOS, so it's like ten meters long.
>>
>>240738
>>240734
Ahh that makes a lot of sense. So basically the entire license along with the company's copyright? Thanks family
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.