[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the closest thing I'm going to get to a Rival

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: RivalCoverArt.png (658KB, 575x580px) Image search: [Google]
RivalCoverArt.png
658KB, 575x580px
A long time ago there used to be this incredibly fun fighting game series called Rival Schools. Unfortunately it never got made into an anime series, so I'm searching for the next best thing that's like it. Any ideas? Here's more or less what I want:

- A battle shonen (or a shonen-y seinen), heavy on comedy, and with some light SoL elements that takes place in a high school setting.
- A rivalry either between two schools or between students of one school, that would serve as a reason for them to beat the living shit out of each other.
- Purely physical fighting styles, no superpowers. Gimmicks of all kinds, however, are more than welcome, considering the games was all about characters with gimmicky, over the top fighting styles that represented their interests and/or role in the school.
- Character designs that are completely over the top. Not necessary, but definitely appreciated. If you can't think of a series that has Capcom levels of dumb character designs, think of the next best thing.
- Little to no fanservice. Skimpy clothes are okay with me, as long as it's only one or two characters wearing them, but I absolutely don't want any falling into girls' boobs, pantyshots, unnecessary nudity and other shit like that.
- A complete, self-contained experience. No manga is required to be read afterwards to get the full story.

I haven't really seen anything like it before and it's my first time even considering watching such a thing. I also don't care too much about how old it is - anything from the mid 80s up till now works, so you have a rather wide range in terms of suggestions (or at least it appears so).

Thanks in advance for the help.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 550x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 550x250px
>>238007
You're going to have to give up on either "no fanservice", "self-contained", or "anime".

I suggest you lighten up, and watch Ben-Tou.
>>
>>238029
>You're going to have to give up on either "no fanservice", "self-contained", or "anime".

Uhhh... why, exactly? Are you trying to tell me there literally hasn't anything fitting been made in the last 30 years? Cause I call bullshit on that.
>>
>>238033
Because:

- fan service is a staple of anime, and if you want one without any, you're restricting your choices by 99% or so
- anime without fanservice is way more likely to be a serious literature adaptation, or crime drama, or war movie than a dumb fun beat-em-up. So 99.9%
- almost all anime is produced by production committees as an advertisement for a game, comic, or novel series. There are very few anime-originals, and even then, with successful ones you have to buy all the spinoff comics, drama CDs, and other paraphernalia if you want to know what goes on between the original and the sequel/movie (meguca, GuP, Eva), and unsuccessful ones disappear without a trace, what remains of their story lost to wind and ghosts (Classroom Crisis, Glasslip, etc.)

>>238033
>Are you trying to tell me there literally hasn't anything fitting been made in the last 30 years? Cause I call bullshit on that.
Feel free to provide a counterexample and prove me wrong. The fact that you're here implies you can't.
>>
>>238052
I'm going to ignore that second part and focus on the first one. I know I'm probably limiting myself severely, but to be honest, I prefer to end up with 1-2 good recommendations that are exactly (or almost exactly) what I want, than 10-20 garbage ones that have tons of stuff I don't like in them.
>>
>>238007
Maybe Cromartie High? It is a very fun show and the beat each other up a lot, but it's not exactly shounen.
>>
>>238061
Looks and sounds awesome. Thanks, mate.
>>
Any more suggestions?
>>
>>238243
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lo1gEpuerE

Gokusen (comedy/sol plus boxing tournament in the last ep's)
Kuroko no Basket (basketball tournaments between rival schools)
Rakudai kishi no Cavalry
Seiken Tsukai no World Break
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Battle Royal High School
>Skimpy clothes are okay with me, as long as it's only one or two characters wearing them
Kill la Kill

also
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Medaka Box
Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts
Tokyo Ravens
Blue exorcist
School Rumble S2
>>
>>238243
Kyou kara Ore wa!!
>>
>>238358
Gokusen and Battle Royal High School sound like something right up my alley. Kuroko no Basket also sounds kinda interesting, but it's more of a hit or miss in my case. Will see that nonetheless. Thanks a bunch, anon.

>>238360
Looks interesting. Will give it a go. Thank you.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.