[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any tricks for dealing with ISPs? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1408825789194.jpg (57KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1408825789194.jpg
57KB, 1024x768px
Does anyone have any tricks for dealing with ISPs? I've had internet issues from 6PM to midnight for months now, which is when their offices are closed. I can reliably lie and say the speedtest reads something that it doesn't to get a tech out every time, but it's a crapshoot on if they know anything.

Internet goes from 100 down/10 up to varying speeds as low as 2 down at night
Ping in all games goes to absolute shit, used WinMTR and found out it was unique to my ISPs backbone
Showed them this information and got a "we'll get back to you" and it was never fixed.

Am I just going to be stonewalled by customer support forever?
>>
They're going to tell you it's on your end because most likely it is (at least in my experience).

Get this. I spent about 6 straight hours trying to find out why my entire wifi (including internet obviously) speed went completely dogshit when it was running perfectly since god knows whenever.

I'm the only person that controls the settings. The only possible cause that someone in my house could have done would be to shift my router/antennae position. That wasn't it. I changed channels, switched USB adapter to different port (which seemed to help), rebooted router, changed antennae positions. All sorts of shit. Only thing I was left figuring was that maybe for some reason everyone else around my apartment complex fucked with their shit and changed to the same channel as me (you want to switch to least used channel in your area).

I hope this helps. bottom line is they WILL tell you do plug directly into the modem via ethernet to test the speed (which should be done anyways). Try that and if it works fine then it's not them.
>>
>>225118
Why does everyone, including the tech support, assume I'm on wifi?

I am plugged directly into the modem, which they made me use. I have never used wifi in the four years of living here. I live completely alone, there is no one else to mess with anything related to my equipment.
>>
>>225121
>Why does everyone, including the tech support, assume I'm on wifi?

Well, I would assume you're on wifi for the same reason I would assume I'm on wifi. I have a wireless router with like 6-8 devices in my house and i'm a broke motherfucker. I can only imagine anyone else is equal or better to my setup. Everyone's house I go to has wifi. Everything new being sold now has wifi capability. I would think it makes sense to assume that.

>I am plugged directly into the modem

Alright, well in that case what I would do in your shoes is assume it's their bullshit. I wouldn't attempt/try to get them to fix their shit. I would tell them that I'm going to switch to a different service if this continues for another day or two. If it persists then I would switch. If you switch and still get the same shit then obviously maybe it's some kind of serious foundation of their internet lines issues with your housing or some other problem specific to your exact location.

Can you tell me more about pings?. Is it just gaming sites that ping like shit or every site?.
>>
>>225125
>I wouldn't attempt/try to get them to fix their shit. I would tell them that I'm going to switch to a different service if this continues for another day or two

There is no other real provider. There's a shitty third-tier provider that hooks up extremely low income housing (and technically anyone else that requests it) for like 2 down 0.1 up, but there's nothing else around. I don't have a choice but to get them to fix it.

I used a program called WinMTR which more or less combines a traceroute with a pingtest together. I used this application to ping the address of multiple servers that I connect to when playing games (League, Battlerite, etc) and would show me where the spike was occurring.

I got a single tech that knew what he was looking at when viewing this trace, and he confirmed the same thing a Riot tech confirmed, that the spikes were happening on the ISP's backbone, and it would need to get fixed at the head end. This is impossibly hard to explain to a customer service rep, and even if I can explain it, they don't have the knowledge or ability to fix it. They can try to escalate me to T2, but they are rarely willing to even try, and when they do, T2 will either ignore it or they'll tell me they're all "busy". They essentially stonewall me until I'm willing to hang up the phone. I've been in a back and forth for well over 2 hours before.

This is on top of the internet being incredibly inconsistent in the evening rather than the sole problem.
>>
>>225129

Well, Looks sensibly you CAN just do whatever major downloading during the day and try not to fuck with the internet at night. That makes a bit of sense.

Otherwise if the service is practically unusable during the evening that is pretty crazy. Have you looked into like those modem type hotspot things that are offered by wireless phone networks?. Those might cover your area. I know they're expensive as FUCK when compared to traditional ISP's but looks like you have no other choice. If you get that service and use it ONLY at night for minimum gaming or whatever you're doing at night then it might work out.
>>
>>225134
>try not to fuck with the internet at night

I work during the day. That's essentially asking me to pay for internet that really only works on weekends, and pay a premium for it.

There's nothing like a hotspot network where I live.
>>
>>225134
>>225136
If you're talking about a wireless phone network hooked up from a smartphone that has enough data to do anything gaming related, I'd be paying an incredible amount in overages every single month. Like $300 plus.
>>
>>225136

>I work during the day.

Well, what I meant was like say for example leave a download manager downloading 60-100 GB of shit while you're at work (if that's what you're doing). Seems that's not the case though.

>That's essentially asking me to pay for internet that really only works on weekends

Which is basically why understandably if you're the only customer with this issue the ISP might tell you to fuck off.

>If you're talking about a wireless phone network hooked up from a smartphone that has enough data to do anything gaming related, I'd be paying an incredible amount in overages every single month. Like $300 plus.

Well, I don't game anymore but I wasn't aware gaming was incredibly data intensive. I don't mean a wireless phone hotspot. I mean for example at my local walmart they have wireless services from phone providers that you buy a modem for and pay for a certain amount of bandwidth that costs a certain amount. I guess it's like a prepaid thing (I never actually done it).
>>
>>225141
>Which is basically why understandably if you're the only customer with this issue the ISP might tell you to fuck off.

It's a problem that can be easily recreated and shown that the issue is on the ISP's end. The fact that other people aren't bothered by not getting the internet they pay for is not a good reason to accept the same.

The issue with a hotspot is it does not fix the ping issue, even on the off chance it wasn't incredibly expensive, because it's very unlikely that that a wireless hotspot is going to have ping suitable to playing any form of competitive game.

I've already adapted as much as possible. I will frequently download shows during the day so they're available when I'm home, or a game that doesn't require internet connection. I'm no longer able to stream literally anything in the evening unless it's on a potato quality, and am unable to play any competitive game until about 1 AM when it goes back to functioning again. It's a shit problem that the ISP does not want to fix and I am out of ideas on how to get them to care.
>>
>>225144

>The fact that other people aren't bothered by not getting the internet they pay for is not a good reason to accept the same.

I'm playing devil's advocate here. If they can make money pumping out shit product and somehow still get customers (as long as they're not breaking the law killing someone or shit like that) then fuck it. Would customers be better off if they went out of business all together?. Maybe their small shitty company doesn't have the money to fix or install proper lines to EVERY single house in the middle of nowhere.

Reminds me of when I was like 18 or so and I had a 56k modem but was literally only getting half that. I kept trying to figure it out and eventually just accepted that I lived in the middle of nowhere I'm fucked.

>The issue with a hotspot is it does not fix the ping issue, even on the off chance it wasn't incredibly expensive, because it's very unlikely that that a wireless hotspot is going to have ping suitable to playing any form of competitive game.

I have to disagree. The major gigantic corporations can probably easily give you over wifi what someone else can't on landline. Do you even have a phone service?. Run a ping through you're phone and see if it beats your home internet.
>>
>>225148
>small shitty company

It's literally Time Warner Cable, now Spectrum. They're anything but small. I live in an urban area, they're not piping lines out to bumfuck nowhere.

Second point leads back to the first. This is a giant corporation.
>>
File: 1457119282992.png (498KB, 1889x897px) Image search: [Google]
1457119282992.png
498KB, 1889x897px
>>225149

Alright. I wasn't clear on that. So they're a big gigantic company and you're not in the middle of nowhere.

Did you try googling?. I searched and came up with this http://lifehacker.com/how-to-file-a-complaint-against-your-isp-and-finally-so-1714876357
>>
>>225150
I've sent in an FCC complaint before based on not getting advertised speeds. This was probably 6 months ago. Nothing changed.

Every other comment is basically "be stern and keep escalating!" even though there's nothing left to escalate to. My record is something like 3.5 hours because I refused to hang up the phone and they're not allowed to hang up on a customer unless they're being unruly. The best that got me was a tech who said yeah, he can't do shit, they'd have to fix it at the head end.
>>
>>225153

Did the FCC ever email you anything back?. If not did you call them up and ask for an update on the situation?. If not shit, might as well go after the FCC.
>>
File: 1414555534655.png (57KB, 276x256px) Image search: [Google]
1414555534655.png
57KB, 276x256px
>>225155
>might as well go after the FCC
>>
>>225156

If you're OP it says here on that page I linked...

>Once you send in your complaint, you should receive a tracking number from the FCC. You can call in to the FCC with that tracking number to get a status on your complaint. If you don’t get a call from your ISP within 40 days, be sure to call the FCC. Some complaints (like those involving fraud or cable billing) may turn out to be outside the FCC’s jurisdiction, and you might be asked to re-file the complaint with a different organization like the FTC.

Did you get any of that?.
>>
>I've had internet issues from 6PM to midnight
that's when everyone is home and online. your isp can only handle so much traffic.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.