[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently saw a Linus tech tips video where he used somewhat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 106575-1.jpg (385KB, 1200x908px) Image search: [Google]
106575-1.jpg
385KB, 1200x908px
I recently saw a Linus tech tips video where he used somewhat old server parts to build a decent gaming rig and i'm considering doing the same did a quick ebay search and found the following parts :

CPU :2x INTEL XEON L5420
Mobo :Supermicro X7DBR-E MBD-X7DBR-E Dual Socket 771
ram : 4x hynix RAM Module FB-DIMM 4 GB
PSU :1Life ps:jet 600W
GPU :EVGA GTX 670 FTW

All those for about 170€
The motherboard only has a PCIE 8x port so I got a 8x to 16x adapter.

My question is, will I there be some bottleneck?
I only want a decent rig for overwatch & whatnot.

Is it worth buying?
>>
Definitely NOT worth.

The L5420 has very bad efficiency, as in, it needs a lot of clock speed to get shit done. It would need about 4GHz per core to be on the same level as a current gen CPU with the same amount of cores at 2GHz (and that is being generous).
In addition, it does not have high clock speed, so it will be slower than just a normal old Core 2 Quad like the Q9550 at 2.83GHz in games.
If you really want an antiquitated Core 2 Xeon build, just get a 775 board and overclock a Xeon E5450 or similar on it. There is no game that would profit from having four more slow cores; most won't even use it cause they don't support NUMA.
In addition, these boards usually have terrible featues if you are a gamer, such as: no decent fan control, no onboard sound, two minutes bios time in addition to your current boot time, no support for oc (or if, then only to about 400fsb which is basically nothing), and many other fun things for you to find out.

FB-DIMM is also fairly slow because of the error correction mechanisms, making it slower than normal DDR2 ram. In addition is gets extremely hot, as in so hot you usually need strong fans just to keep the RAM from overheating.

Just don't do it nigga, it's not worth it.
>>
>>210232
alright, can you help me set up decent build for about 170€ ?
>>
>>210232
>it will be slower than just a normal old Core 2 Quad like the Q9550 at 2.83GHz in games.
Not in any games that are console ports, because (as may have escaped your attention) there are two sockets and two processors, so not four cores but eight cores.
>>
>>210219
if you plan on using it only for overwatch and stuff then maybe, but as 210232 said, the L5420 has really bad efficiency.
>>
>>210268
None of these ports support NUMA my boy. So they will only use one of his two CPUs. Even then, you ALWAYS need a main thread with decently high speed/eff to get min-fps up to tolerable level, there's jsut no way around it currently.
>>
>>210270
Oh, if you don't believe me, I have almost the same 771 setup here since I do a lot of overclocking for fun, and of course I tried gaming with it. It really isn't worth the effort, at all. Just get a decent 775 board (with P45 chipset if possible) and a high clock 775 or modded 771 CPU.
>>
>>210232
>most won't even use it cause they don't support NUMA.
The whole point of NUMA is that you don't need to "support" it.

Unlike partitioned mutiprocessing, NUMA nodes can access each other's memory, and the entire system appears as one single address space with one single processor.

The memory controllers hide the separate memory nodes from the processes, and while there's not as much bandwidth when accessing remote-node memory, no process has to do anything special in order to get at it.

So all you need to do to support a dual-771 system is be written for some other system that has eight cores. Like, I dunno, any modern console or any processor that says "i7" on it.
>>
>>210277
Forgive me, I used the wrong term. NUMA was introduced one generation later.
You can try it yourself and buy this piece of shit if you want, you will notice only one CPU being used in most loads.

And like I said, even if EVERYTHING is used to the last %, it is still a slow as fuck system.
>>
Thanks for the replies guys
I'm just gonna build a amd based desktop

Thanks once again
>>
>>210250
>>170
>>Decent
>>Choose one
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.