[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is wrong with my laptop? The screen remains off and it refuses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 1469315640834.jpg (39KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1469315640834.jpg
39KB, 720x540px
What is wrong with my laptop? The screen remains off and it refuses to boot even when it is plugged in. Initially it wouldn't even charge or boot despite being plugged in until I removed the battery and put it back in. I dropped my laptop 2-3 times in the last year with the last time being one month or so so ago. Even since then the laptop has shut off randomly when on battery despite having enough juice left. I'm guessing now the motherboard has finally crapped out. Can anyone confirm or deny? Thanks
>>
My guess is your battery is dead/damaged as that can lead to inaccurate readings and random drops/shutdowns.
It now doesn't work on battery because your charger is fucked (probably a snapped wire) and so won't charge your laptop.
>>
>>191014
Well at first it wouldn't charge and turn on at all when I first ran into the problem. I then removed the battery and put it back in just in case the battery had short circuited (I've done this before) It turns on now but only when plugged into the charger. That's why I think it might be the motherboard
>>
Wtf now it only charges and doesn't turn on...
>>
>>190995

We need more info...

Make and model of laptop

Age of battery

Have you tried plugging an external monitor into the laptop to rule out the built in screen?

Have you tried it without the battery and just plugged into the charger?
>>
>>191034
Acer v5-473P-5602
Battery is around 2-3 years old
I don't have an external monitor or hdtv. My phone and my laptop are all I use
Tried it without battery several times and it won't turn on.
Just removed battery again put it back in and now it turns on again but immediately turns off. I was having some problems with this earlier the first time I removed and plugged the battery back in.
>>
>>191042

When you plug the charger in does the power light come on?
>>
>>191052
For the battery yes. Also comes on when i push the power button
>>
>>191052
And obviously nothing comes on when the battery is removed
>>
Strange, after removing the battery while it was charging it can now briefly turn on with the ac cord still plugged in. Removed the cord and plugged it back in and it can still briefly turn on.
>>
>>191055

>And obviously nothing comes on when the battery is removed

You should be able to run the laptop on only mains (no battery) via the charger. If you can't then your charger is fucked.
>>
>>191058

>briefly turn on.

Define briefly.

Enough to boot, or just a few seconds?
>>
>>191059
As said above it can do it now for some reason. This thing is acting really tempermental
>>
>>191060
Turns on for about a second or two and then immediately shuts down like if there was a power outage. Doesn't boot whatsoever. My backlit keys light up though.
>>
>>191061

Sounds like no charge on your battery. you need to charge it up somehow.

Once it is working type this at a cmd prompt

powercfg<space>/batteryreport<space>/output<space>Documents\mybatteryreport.html

Be careful with the spaces. This will generate a report including history of your batteries charge. I'm guessing it's going to show almost no charge (should be at roughly 35,000 mWh when fully charged)
>>
>>191064

Samefag

Do you know anyone with the same laptop range charger you could borrow?

Your charger sounds fucked.
>>
>>191066
I doubt it's the charger. I dropped my computer a little over a month ago and that's when i started getting problems with random shut offs when running on battery power. When it was plugged in it i never had problems. So the battery is probably damaged along with the motherboard now, because even plugged in with no battery it turns on briefly then shuts off. I know no one esle with a power cord i could use.
>>
>>191064

Samefag

Just a thought.

I had a HP laptop that wouldn't charge and it turned out to be the central pin in the charger socket had been pushed into the base plate and so wasn't making contact with the plug. Check your charging socket on the laptop.

>>191068

How do you feel about dismantling your laptop? There might be a poor connection inside from the charging socket.
>>
>>191073
The battery does charge though. It's charging right now.
>>
>>191079

You know it's charging because of a charging light, right?

That doesn't mean it is actually charging, just that the charging circuit is energised, the battery could be damaged.

I would recommend that you remove the bottom cover and at least look for a poor connection on the harness from the charger socket all the way to the power circuit on the main board, and check for any components that might have burnt out/over heated, or cracks on any boards due to being dropped.

I know you've had the bottom off before to remove the battery.
>>
>>191086
I checked and everything appears to be intact
>>
>>191087

So, to recap.

The power light is on when the charger is plugged in.
The charging light and the power light are on when the battery is connected and the charger is plugged in.
Pressing the power button sometimes gets the keyboard backlight to come on momentarily.
It will not boot up with or without the charger and/or battery plugged in.

One last thing, if this fails then I've come to the end of my knowledge of this issue...

1. Unplug the power adapter, and then remove the battery from your laptop.
2. Now, keep the Power button on your laptop gently pressed for around 40 seconds.
3. Reconnect the power adapter without inserting the battery.
4. Power On the laptop.

If it fails step 4 then you have bigger problems than online help can resolve and you need to get someone qualified to physically look at the laptop.

5. Once you are into Windows, Shut it down again.
6. Now, remove the power adapter, then reseat the battery, then reconnect the power adapter, and then reboot again.

Good luck.
>>
>>191089
Well i didn't completely dismantle the computer to check for any cracks, but i did just notice that the fan vents get hot immediately when i turn the computer on. Is it overheating?
>>
File: 1451937572441.jpg (13KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
1451937572441.jpg
13KB, 267x189px
>>191099

Can you hear the fan spinning?

Also, if you connect the charger with the laptop off, does the battery become warm to the touch?
>>
>>191106
Most of the motherboard seems to exposed so i don't think it is necessary to dismantle it. I can see the fan spin but it stops shortly thereafter, even before the computer shuts off. That's kinda when the heat follows, and it seems to get hotter each time if i do it in succession. There's also a slight odor afterwards, which might not be normal but i don't go around smelling computer fans to know. The battery remains room temp.
>>
>>191108

The fan should be running constantly when the laptop is on.

The battery should become warm. Not instantly, but within 5 to 10 minutes. If it isn't warming up with the charger connected then it isn't getting charged.
>>
>>191111
So then is this a power supply issue or a motherboard issue or both?

My previous laptop died in similar circumstances. First the screen burnt out (not sure if the screen on current laptop is even broken though) which was then repaired. It worked for the next few weeks but it started getting really hot and overheated several times until it died. Took it to a tech and they said the motherboard needed to be replaced. I declined since i didn't want to deal with anymore problems and just bought this laptop instead.

I might just buy a new laptop. Don't want to waste money like last lime.
>>
>>191116
>So then is this a power supply issue or a motherboard issue or both?

I don't know. That's the problem with dropping shit - more than one thing can break from the impact. If you want to chase this further you'll have to do troubleshooting. Checking the battery isn't too hard as it's external and detachable. If you want to do much more than that you'll have to open up the laptop case, and I really wouldn't recommend that.

You simplest solution is to buy a new laptop and then stop fucking dropping it.
>>
>>191129
I'll just have to buy a new laptop then. I don't have anything else to test the battery with and dismantling the rest of it is a hassle even though there aren't too many parts to deal with.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.