[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asking for tech support, sorry. So I spilled about half a glass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: rATRtRd.jpg (370KB, 1920x1070px) Image search: [Google]
rATRtRd.jpg
370KB, 1920x1070px
Asking for tech support, sorry. So I spilled about half a glass of water on my Thinkpad W550s's keyboard, while it was on. It drained out through the holes, I tested the keys and everything seemed to be working fine, so I shut it off and dried off as much remaining water as I could with napkins. I had to turn it on a little over an hour later for reasons that aren't really relevant. When I was using it then, I noticed strange behavior in the enter, space, and backslash keys. They all still function, but they have the wrong functions. Enter still enters but it simultaneously performs PgUp's action making it impossible to enter a line at the bottom of a field of text, and space still spaces but simultaneously performs the PgDn action, so it works fine at the end of the field of text but makes going back to edit difficult. PgUp and PgDn still function normally. The backslash key takes a screenshot, but interestingly when holding shift it still makes |. I'm hoping somebody here knows what the problem could be. Googling it is difficult since I'm not really sure how to concisely describe it and most people complaining about their keyboard not working mean that it isn't responsive. I've tried popping the trouble keys off and letting the laptop sit and dry like that for a few hours, and I've tried resetting the keyboard's mapping to the default state, but neither of those fixed it. I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa. Also, I've just figured out that Alt+space, which should just change the keyboard language, simultaneously moves to the next tab. I haven't thoroughly tested key combinations so there are likely more that I'm unaware of. The issues with the enter and space key still occur in the Japanese keyboard mode. Is this the result of a short circuit when I turned the laptop on the second time? Could a more thorough drying fix it, or manual remapping? When I popped off some keys I neither saw nor felt any wetness. Sorry for text wall, enter is broken. Have some nice art.
>>
>>186644
haha
funny

i'm thinking it needs to be dried better, how long did you let it dry for? bury it in raw rice to help : )
>>
>>186673
It dried for probably ~80 minutes after the spill before I turned it on again, then 8-9 hours after that with the top open and some keys off before I next turned it on. It's currently on.

I also tried to remove the keyboard in the meantime, but I was unable to do so because I don't have a screwdriver and none of the substitutes that I tried worked. I'll see if I can find a bag of rice tomorrow, all stores should be closed now. I'm planning on leaving it open and off to dry overnight and for as long as I can tomorrow, since I shouldn't need it until I'm done with my classes. In case I can't find rice (very limited access to off campus because I don't have a bike/car and there aren't many stores around my campus), can air-drying be sufficient? Should I crank up my heater and leave it on top of that? Leave it in the sunlight?
>>
>>186682
I'd leave it in the sunlight if you can (indoors), but not for too long, depending on how harsh the light is.

If it's a really sunny day I would leave it in the sunlight for maybe 30 minutes, and if that doesn't do it I don't know if the damage can be undone.

don't worry about buying rice just for this.

good luck
>>
>>186644
There's still water in the keyboard.

Don't pop keys off, just remove the whole keyboard (it's two screws), and leave it somewhere warm.
>>
Use the money you were going to spend on rice to buy an appropriate screwdriver and then follow the instructions to remove keyboard...

https://youtu.be/Nl9BIgaakXg

Leave keyboard somewhere warm to dry out.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.