[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I sharpen a knife? Can I get a good edge without spending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (25KB, 340x253px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 340x253px
How do I sharpen a knife? Can I get a good edge without spending lots of money on a kit?

I researched some info in case it can help but while I can use google I don't know how to do this.

The knife I want to sharpen is:
Stainless Steel with a Rockwell hardness of c54-56

Optimal angle to sharpen is at 40 degrees inclusive and 20 degrees per side. I'm not sure what this means especially the inclusive part.
>>
>>178791
>I'm not sure what this means especially the inclusive part.
It means it was written by a person that thinks degrees are integers, not real numbers.

Just get a kitchen knife sharpener. There's no need for a knife-wanker edge, unless you enjoy cutting everything, and not just the things you intend to.
>>
lots of money?

$30 is worth it for what you get and how long it will last

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-5-Stone-Sharpening-System/dp/B000B8IEA4
>>
>>178815
I think you mean "$5".

http://amzn.com/B01KMORDP8
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-sharpen-your-woodworking-tools-with-sandpap/?ALLSTEPS

Go get a glass chopping board from the dollar store, and there's your reference surface.

But you don't need an edge this sharp: it's fragile, pointless, and dangerous.
>>
>>178823
as if sandpaper would last anywhere near as long, or you'd be able to get as consistent an angle
>>
>>178823
>>178815
>>178806
Thanks anons. I don't need it to be obsidian sharp, but I want it sharp enough to descale and fillet a fish, or if possible to shave hairs off my arm. If that's not reasonable for this knife, or will make it fragile, I don't want to do it though.
>>
>>178829
> last anywhere near as long
You're shitting me, right?

You're shaping a metal edge. The longevity depends on what you're sharpening, not what you're sharpening it with.

D'you think the knife says "EWWW sandpaper! This offends my delicate sensibilities now I must go blunt"?
>>
>>178834
>longevity

the longevity of the sandpaper

I've had that same lansky kit for years now and used it many, many times
>>
>>178839
I guarantee you $30 of sandpaper will last you "many, many times".
>>
>>178845
I thought it was "$5"

if someone was going to spend $30 anyway, the kit is a far better option
>>
>>178855
Your memekit was $30. If the sandpaper runs out, you can buy more.

Five times.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.