[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /wsr/ I'm looking to buy a laptop for college. I pl

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: laptop.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
laptop.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
hey /wsr/ I'm looking to buy a laptop for college. I plan on playing games occasionally and have narrowed my search down to two laptops any advice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234023&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6R44GP3950&cm_re=15_7559-_-9SIA6R44GP3950-_-Product
>>
>>176087
The CPUs seem pretty much identical. Just keep in mind that despite any marketing about power, these laptops will be significantly weaker than a desktop of the same price. So if you're interested in the current year's AAA releases, you might be SOL. But less and less gamers are like this, as the AAA market continues to stagnate and the amount of great low-budget titles continues to rise.

To me, the real decider here is the storage. Hybrid drives are basically HDDs with a little SSD tacked on, and the drive decides to put certain pieces of data on the SSD for faster access. It's supposed to be a cheaper alternative to having a SSD and HDD separate, but in this case the Hybrid machine actually costs more. So I see no reason to pick the Dell over the Asus.
>>
>>176305
Oh, and also: maybe it's because I'm tired as hell, but I JUST realized that the Asus model is the exact one I'm using right now. Bought it last November, and I like it quite a bit. It goes from BIOS to Windows login screen in mere seconds, which is new for me as I have previously used only HDD machines. Unfortunately I haven't done nearly as much gaming on here as I want to, and most of the games have been older titles, so I can't give definitive performance feedback. All I can say is, MGSV ran like butter, FFXIII and XIII-2 run decently and the Doom 2016 demo ran like ass.
>>
>>176087
Hold onto your cock for six months, and get one of the very first gaming laptops that's actually good at gaming.

Nvidia's offerings, up til now, have always had an "M" on the end that basically meant "crappy crippled laptop chip". They don't fab their own chips, and the fabs they worked with were hilariously behind-the-times. The only way to make a chip that didn't desolder itself was to make one smaller, slower, and crappier.

But now they're releasing the 10x0 series, which is the first they've ever made with a modern fabrication technology. Their fabrication partners have made a huge leap forward, and they're passing the benefit on to you.

Because of the sudden, massive improvement in both power and power-efficiency, laptops are getting the exact same 1060 and 1070 chips that're soldered to the side of the PCIe GPUs. There's no point in making a 1060M, because the desktop part is already efficient enough to go in a laptop.

It's going to be a revelation.

And by buying a laptop now, you're buying the very last laptop from the era when laptops were shit at gaming.
>>
>>176329
Hello Nvidia marketer
>>
>>176087
Used Thinkpad t or w series
Used dell latitude/precisions
Used hp elitebooks

Everything else will fall apart after a year of daily usage
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.