[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I learn to draw things realistically? I'm fine with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Little_Gasparilla_sunrise.jpg (929KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Little_Gasparilla_sunrise.jpg
929KB, 2592x1944px
How do I learn to draw things realistically? I'm fine with my cartoony style, but am looking to expand my artistic ability.
>>
Pick up "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain".
https://archive.org/details/pdfy-5dQt81v7NYVZl2La

It's filled with a lot of pseudo-science but if you stick to the exercises you'll learn how to draw things as you see them and not in "symbols".
>>
>>175214
Artist here. Practice is the main part but here's a few tips.

Proportion is the main key, ever seen artists on tv or in cartoons holding up a pencil and moving it about with their tongue out? You are using the pencil as a measuring device. Find an angle, hold pencil in front of the angle, move pencil over paper, draw line then do it again to check the line/angle.

Same with proportions. For instance to check the size of someones head comprared to their shoulders hold the pencil up at arms length and slide your thunb up and down to measure the head, then the shoulders. Do the same again with the pecil above the paper. If the shoulders are about 2 and 1/3 wider than the head then do this, then check it again.

It's all about getting those first guidelines correct first. Maybe only a handful. Size and angle of shoulders say, tilt of head, position of arm and so on. Check the negative space in the view (if someone has their hand on their hip check the triangle that's formed in the background behind them). Once these are right the rest of the pieces fall into place. Adding the detail at the end is the easy bit really if you can already draw.

Light is another tricky one. Most peoples drawings look very flat at first. Look at a contrasty scene and squint your eyes so you can barely see. The contast is exagerated and this should be a guide for the tones in your picture. Looking at a bright window with white a wall around it is a good example.

Mark making is a personal choice really but I would say be decisive. If you want a line, draw one, don't fiddle about with lots of faint scribbles trying to get the right one. Also try not to use a rubber/eraser if you can, they should be used for highlights not mistakes.

tl;dr
>git gud
>don't /ic/
>life drawing classes
>draw a chair (it's harder than it sounds)
>>
>>175281
I completely agree with your hints. You are professional.
>>
>>175304
>professional
Not really but I have sold quite a few paintings.

It seems to me (I'm an old) that colleges don't really teach observational drawing the same as they used to. After the first term you can ignore all the criticism of your drawing "coz muh art".

When I first went to art college in the early 80's there were some real drawing nazis. They would scribble all over your "masterpiece" to show you where you were going wrong. Got into uni to do fine art in the 90's on the strength of my drawings I think, not my "art" (or elaborate doodles as one tutor put it,kek).
>>
>>175343
Post portfolio/blog.
>>
File: life pencil.jpg (207KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
life pencil.jpg
207KB, 480x640px
>>175345
>portfolio/blog
Don't have one but here's a random sketch.
>>
>>175214
Start with fundamentals
>>
bump for OP
>>
>>175623
appreciate the help
>>
>>175281
Okay, thanks for the help/tips. How long did it take you to get to the level you're at right now?
>>
>>175273
I'll definitely be sure to look into this. Thanks anon, I appreciate the help. And yeah, I'll make sure to veer away from the pseudo science.

>>175347
Damn impressive!
>>
>>175720
>How long did it take you to get to the level you're at right now?
The flippant answer would be 49 years but I don't paint much now if at all (more astro/photography). If you practice and are disciplined you will improve almost overnight. When drawing from life you should spend 90% of time looking at what you are drawing and 10% looking down at your paper.

The sketch I posted is from years ago and I hate some parts of it but I chose it because it was a 5 minute pose. Tick tock, tick tock, c'mon anon, tick tock. Ding! A pencil drawing that took 5 days with every eyelash drawn in is great but if the proportions were out even a little it would look nothing like Jean (I think that was her name) and therefore worthless.

Buy a small pocket sized sketch pad/note book. If you have 5 minutes waiting for a bus draw the bus stop. People think you are just writing a shopping list.

If you already enjoy drawing then all the crap I've suggested won't be a chore. To the "muh art" brigade I say: If you can't paint what you see with your eyes, how can you paint what you visualize with your mind. Anyone can chuck paint at a canvas. It's about having the choice to chuck it with a sawn off or a sniper rifle.

One last thing. Thanks anon, I'm really thinking about dusting off the old brushes. Nobody gives a shit about my photographs really, kek.
>>
File: jon.jpg (190KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
jon.jpg
190KB, 640x480px
pumd
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.