[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ideal PC build, staying around £800. Once it drops below £

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1396446294-600x400.jpg (42KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1396446294-600x400.jpg
42KB, 600x400px
Ideal PC build, staying around £800. Once it drops below £800 I'm buying the whole thing. Look it over and offer some suggestions please /wsr/

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rtw3rH
>>
>>17251
>Novena
Here was me thinking you were about to ask an interesting question.
>>
>>17251
OP

Info pl0x.

>What's it for? ETC.
>If gaming, what games.
>>
>>17264
Just for standard use. Playing one game called Victoria II. Being as future-proof as possible - keeping it around for 10 years or more.
>>
>>17265
"Future Proofing" isn't a thing.
/wsr/ not the best place to come, i'd suggest /g/ if you don't find your answers here.

However, having looked at your build there's a couple things i can see.

Firstly the CPU is a "K" series, meaning it's unlocked and primed for being overclocked - something i presume you have no interest or need in doing

>Choose a non K series 6000 and save a few $

RAM, I personally prefer Corsair > More money, better quality. Especially if this is to last you 10 years.

HDD Seagate is a good brand, however having a single 3TB HDD with all your stuff on is dangerous. They aren't prone to failing but 10 years will do that to it.

>Get 2 1TB's for the same $ (If you really need that much storage?!)

GPU is a good safe pick.

That's all I could personally say.
>>
>>17279
>>17251

RAM brand should not matter, and you should always get ones without retarded metal coolers on them
Seagate is currently the worst HDD brand. The best is HGST/Hitachi
I'd really not get larger than 1TB HDDs at this point
>>
>>17292
Ugh, fuck Hitachi.

They used to be fine, then got terrible when they started making cheap HDD's with cheap materials.
Every Hitachi HDD i've owned in the past 5 years has failed.

Oh and make sure you read properly?

>RAM, I personally prefer Corsair > More money, better quality. Especially if this is to last you 10 years.

I prefer Corsair.
>>
>>17279
>>17292
Thanks guys. Here's my updated build, any further critiques?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WNNyGX

Once it drops below £700 I'm taking the plunge.
>>
>>17300
Have you known a ramstick to last ten years?

State of the art in 2005 was DDR1.

Assuming you can even find a motherboard to put it in, four slots fully-populated with DDR1 will give you 4GB; the minimum that'll run Windows 7 adequately.

If you shop around, you'll be able to find a Pentium 4 that supports PAE: the actual processor that 8.x and later list as their absolute bare minimum requirement.

In principle, your RAM still works, but $60 will get you a motherboard, processor and RAM that's better than it in every conceivable way.

RAM doesn't need to last ten years, unless you're planning on selling it as a curiosity.
>>
>>17314

>Ideal PC build
As OP said.

I would say on second thought that DDR2/3 would be a much more sensible choice for the money.

If you're only using it to browse etc, DDR2/3 system will be like $300/400 and be just as good for what you need it.
>>
OP here. I have whittled the price down to ~£625. It has one 4GB stick of RAM. I figure memory is something which is more easily upgradeable and replaceable than other components so I can use for a year, two years tops. Tell me if I'm being a complete idiot.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gvjWHx
>>
>>17352
4GB is more than enough, if you decide you want more you can add more.
I honestly wouldnt bother with anything above 1666Mhz RAM, you're not gonna notice the difference.

>Order away!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.