[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm building a new Skylake computer tower. New motherboard,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: am I cute.jpg (92KB, 550x733px) Image search: [Google]
am I cute.jpg
92KB, 550x733px
I'm building a new Skylake computer tower. New motherboard, CPU etc. Same hard drive case and power supply (800 watt).

In order to save money, I'm moving the hard drive that is in the Windows 7 computer I'm currently typing on and I'm moving that hard drive into the new computer and I'm installing Windows 10 on it. I have purchased a retail copy of Windows 10.

I realize that I can't simply move the hard drive as is. Windows won't let me do that. It will recognize that it is connected to a new motherboard. It's an OEM license of windows 7, so I can't legally move it. I'm not interested in illegally moving it. I've already paid for a new license of Windows 10.

How do I move the files that are currently on the hard drive in my current computer onto the wiped hard drive that will have a fresh installation of windows 10 on it if Windows Easy Transfer is not available in Windows 10?
>>
I've never done a new install of Win10 but does it insist on formatting the whole disk, or can you create a new partition and stick your files in there while Win10 installs on the rest of the drive?
>>
>>172490
>>172545
As this anon said, you'll either have to create a new partition and install W10 on the new partition, then just copy paste the files as needed in the other one then delete the old W7 partition.
The easiest thing tho would be just copy the files you need on an external drive, wipe everything and then move the files back again.
This is more safe as you are less likely to fuck up the partitioning and delete things you don't want to
>>
who is that?
>>
>>172490
>I have purchased a retail copy of Windows 10.
>I've already paid for a new license of Windows 10.

- upgrade Windows 7 computer to Windows 10
- move hard drive to new computer
- all above-board, because retail Windows 10 is transferrable as many times as you like.
>>
>>172545
>does it insist on formatting the whole disk
It's /g/ that insists on formatting the whole disk.

Windows, by default, installs into the same partition, and moves your old Windows into \WINDOWS.OLD .
>>
>>172490
>It's an OEM license of windows 7, so I can't legally move it.
This is not true.

>e.
>Storage. You may store one copy of the software on a storage device, such as a network server.
>You may use that copy to install the software on any other computer to which a license has been assigned.

You can legally move a hard disk that has OEM Windows on it, as often and as much as you like. What you can't do is boot it, or " use the software on ... the licensed computer" to use the EULA's language.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.