[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey there. I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Power Supply Label.jpg (132KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Power Supply Label.jpg
132KB, 720x960px
Hey there. I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card but I first need to make sure my power supply would be able to handle it. I opened up my case but I'm kinda oblivious when it comes to PC's. Does this label mean that my max wattage is 624 w or 800 w?
>>
>>172038
OP, you have a split-rail power supply.

It has four 12v rails, each of which is 240w, but the 12v regulators are supplied by a 624w supply, so if you draw three rails at full capacity, you overload the supply supplying them. The balance of the 800w is on the 3.3v and 5v rails, which don't really do a lot in a modern PC (they run 2.5" hard disks, USB, the chips on the motherboard that aren't the CPU, and a few other bits and bobs.

If you're asking questions like
> Does this label mean that my max wattage is 624 w or 800 w?
You're not smart enough to balance the 12v load between the rails so as not to overload one.

Unless you can find the manual, this isn't going to be possible anyway, because you won't know which connector is on which rail.
>>
>>172043
You're right, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, that's why I'm here. There isn't a manual for me to look at because I designed the PC myself on CyberpowerPC. What action do you recommend I take in order to upgrade my graphics card? Should I purchase a new power supply first? Whereabouts would I buy a power supply that'd fit? (Again, no idea what I'm talking about, so keep that in mind. I really appreciate the feedback.)
>>
>>172050
> Should I purchase a new power supply first?
Yes. Any single-rail 800w supply will do.

>Whereabouts would I buy a power supply that'd fit?
Just about anywhere: they're a standard.

If you really need 800w, everyone likes the Corsair CX850M. It's cheap for an 850w PSU, but it isn't shit.

You might not really need 800w, though: add up the TDP of your new graphics card, and your processor (you can find this by googling them). Add 150w or so for headroom and miscellaneous shit, then get whatever single-rail PSU you fancy that meets those requirements.

Or get someone who does know computers to split your rails up for you.
>>
>>172056
I wish I knew someone that'd be able to help me. I'm completely obvious.
>>
>>172080
*oblivious
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.