[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Mom has a laptop with Windows 8 >I have a desktop with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: CQwIQwTWIAQvHUL[1].png (326KB, 514x503px) Image search: [Google]
CQwIQwTWIAQvHUL[1].png
326KB, 514x503px
>Mom has a laptop with Windows 8
>I have a desktop with Windows 7
>Both of us got the warning that we can update to Windows 10 for free
>According to the pop-up, it's compatible with our software

So should I do it or not? I'm not exactly brilliant when it comes to computers and I'm afraid of messing things up, especially since both of us have some data on our respective computers we'd rather not lose.
>>
Considering driver and tech support for Windows 7 and 8 are planned to continue for several more years, I would advise staying with your current setup if you're comfortable where you are.

Or, backup the important data and do the upgrade on one computer. If you don't like it, you have a limited time to undo the upgrade, iirc.
>>
Updatind to W10 bring a lot of trouble if it isn't a clean install, here we have had lots of threads with people who updated and has lots of compatibility issues and slow downs.
My dad's w10 desktop pc takes 10 minutes to start up while my w8.1 pc takes 12~seconds.
>>
>>161775
Yes, yes, for fuck's sake yes.

It'll cost you $100 if you leave it til next week, and if you've still got thr computers in 2020, you choice will be "pay $100" or "become part of a botnet because Windows 7 is EOL like XP".

All you need to do is keep clicking "yes", and you get Microsoft's newest OS, for free.

If you don't like it, all you have to do is press "go back to Windows 7".

You can even just install it and immediately go back to your old OS, and that claims your free upgrade.

While the installer isn't perfect, I can tell you from experience that the rollback is perfect. I've not lost a single install amongst the fleet I've been updating. Every single time the installer fucks up, it puts everything back exactly how it found it.

>>161809
Once you upgrade a machine once, you can then do a clean install, for free, with an installer created by free software direct from Microsoft. So if you really can't get something as simple as an OS working, you can easily reinstall.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 370x153px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 370x153px
>>161793
>driver and tech support for Windows 7 and 8 are planned to continue for several more years
Windows 7 is already in "Extended Support", which means MS is offering no tech support, no support contracts, and will fix only security bugs.

An obvious upshot of this is there's no Service Pack 2, which means no USB3 support. Skylake is officially not supported on W7, mostly because it has only USB3. That's hardly "driver and tech support", is it?

De-facto NVidia and AMD are treating 7 the same, as it doesn't support the latest DirectX.

Windows 7-years-old has had its innings. Stop flogging a dead horse just because you heard bad things about an OS you never even used.
>>
>>161809
>>161862
>>161867
Alright, I think I'm going for it. I'll put my own and my mothers most important information somewhere safe.

But for me the "upgrade to Windows 10" prompt isn't showing up anymore. It showed up once and on the 29th it's the last day I can do it. What do? I'm running out of time to upgrade and I can't do it without the prompt obviously.
>>
>>161867
Fair enough, the information I found was phrased misleadingly, providing no differentiation between standard and extended support. Thanks for the clarification.
I'll take the next day or so to look more at W10 to see if I want to upgrade as well, because fuck you, I like 7.

>>162039
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade
>>
File: 1403056433680.gif (873KB, 346x360px) Image search: [Google]
1403056433680.gif
873KB, 346x360px
OP here.

Just put Windows 10 on my desktop and it works out pretty well. Nothing is going sluggishly slow (so far, at least). The entire lay-out takes some getting used to, but I think 10 resembles 7 more than 8 so I'll work it out somehow.

Thanks again for the advice and convincing me to upgrade. I'll do the same for my mom's computer once I visit her.
>>
have a dell 17r that was on win7 home. i did the upgrade to find i ended up with win10 home. so reverted back to win7, got the home to ultimate upgrade done then upgraded to win10 and finally got win10 pro. some drivers stopped working but after a couple of updates they are all working fine (why updates shouldn't be disabled). there was a major version change which caused the bluetooth to stop working but that was fixed after a couple of updates. so now there are no problems. so far all programs that were installed in win7 are running without reinstalling.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.