[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I could use some advice. My PC's video card died on Friday

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: videocard.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
videocard.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
I could use some advice. My PC's video card died on Friday (at least, I'm pretty sure that's the problem), and I'm pretty bad at computer stuff, so I could use advice on a replacement.
While I'm not 100% sure the card is the issue (monitor no longer gets a signal from the PC, but startup sounds work as normal, so I'm fairly certain it's not the motherboard), the card I had was 4 years old, so it was time to replace it anyway.

So, long story short, what kind of video card should I get?
>>
Take video card out of computer, hook monitor to onboard video if you have the right connector for it.

Or, try reseating the video card and see if that fixes the issue.
>>
>>161272
The motherboard doesn't have a video outlet, sadly. And reseating the video card didn't work.
>>
>>161285
Have you tried reseating the RAM then, or any other cards you have plugged in.

When you say startup sounds work as normal, are you referring to a single beep that you get from when the mobo posts, or do you mean windows login sounds play from the speakers, or do you mean the sound of the fans spinning.

If the video card isn't working then most times the computer isn't going to post at all if there is no onboard video on the motherboard.

Just out of curiosity, can you take pictures of the motherboard and also the back of the computer so we can see what all ports etc that you have. Also either a identification of the motherboard such as manufacturer and model number or model number from the back of the computer would help in this situation.
>>
>>161288
Sorry for the slow reply. I'm being forced to use my 10yo laptop for this.

By startup sounds, I mean it does the little windows jingle from the login page. all the fans are working, though, including the ones on the video card.

I don't know how to reset the RAM.

I actually just found the Newegg tracking list, so can tell you everything:

MB Gigabyte GA-970-DS3 970 AM3+ R
VGA Gigabyte GV-N66tWF2-2gd gtx 660 ti
PSU Rosewill CAPestone-450 450W RT
CPU AMD 4-core FX-4100 3.6G 8M R
MEM 8Gx2 SKILL F3-1866C10D-16GSR R
HDD 1t ST S1000DM003 7k 64M
DVD ROM SONY ddu1681S-0b
Wireless Adapter LINKYW WMP600N r
>>
File: dem innards.jpg (124KB, 697x620px) Image search: [Google]
dem innards.jpg
124KB, 697x620px
>>161300
Forgot muh pic.
>>
Sounds kinda straightforward, but have you tried another monitor and another cable, just to rule out anything else?
>>
>>161300
If you hear the jingle from the log in page but don't have any video, I would say try to find another monitor if possible to test, could be a monitor issue. If not, then you may need a new video card, or something is going on.

When I say reseat the RAM, I mean simply remove it and set it back into the slot, trying one at a time and alternating if no video. But if you are getting the windows jingle, then I don't think this is the issue. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Could also try removing power from the back of the unit and also the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes and then putting battery back in and plugging back in and seeing if that clears it up by resetting your BIOS setting, either that way, or using the jumper method if you know where the jumper for it is.

To be honest, this is kind of weird. Normally if its a video card issue, then its not going to even boot at all. Could be a monitor issue, do you have an old one or can you borrow one from a friend for a few moments to test that avenue?

Could also be power going into the video card as an issue since it looks like its powered off of a rail.

Last but not least, have you checked to make sure your monitor is set to display from the correct input. Also try unplugging it for about 10 minutes and plugging it back in.

Hope something there works. If not, just buy another nvidia card. Depends on your budget.
>>
>>161314
Eeyup.

I tried 2 monitors, three of the video outlets (including the HDMI one), leaving it off for the night, removing the card and putting it back in, and doing a thorough cleaning (it was rather dusty in there).
There's no video outlet on the motherboard, so I can't try a monitor on that.

I haven't reset the RAM since I don't know how to do so. That is, I don't know how to do so using just the hardware, which I'd have to since I can't actually use the computer.
>>
>>161316
Tried the RAM thing, but it didn't work. Currently waiting the 10 minutes for the battery idea.
>>
>>161324
And that's a nope. New video card it is.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.