[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /wsr/. My whole life I've used macs. I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Xplogo.jpg (649KB, 1960x1840px) Image search: [Google]
Xplogo.jpg
649KB, 1960x1840px
Hey /wsr/. My whole life I've used macs. I've been using a Macbook Air, mid 2013 (4gb) edition for the past 3.5 years. The mac has served me well, but I'm looking into getting a desktop windows computer. The problem is, I know close to nothing about anything in general related to Windows. I'll mainly use the computer for Paint Tool SAI, Photoshop, and Adobe Flash, so it doesn't need to be some souped up $2,000 gaming PC. My price range is $300-$500. I'd appreciate any help in finding a PC most optimal for my needs! Thank you!
>>
>>161256
I'd also like to mention that under no circumstances would I be willing to use 10. 7 is what I'm looking for.
>>
>>161258
I'd like to make a correction. I will use 10 under some circumstances, but I'd much prefer 7, even if it stops updating in 2020.
>>
>>161256
Go to walmart and buy whatever is on sale and get an extended warranty. If horsepower isn't a factor, even the most basic model of brand new pc will get you by just fine.

If you plan on using Windows 10, try to find one that already has that preloaded and not Windows 8.1. If you want Windows 7 still, you'll have to find a business model most likely that still has that, or maybe one on clearance.

Personal note: Don't buy an HP. Can't speak to the hardware so much, as any base model can be reliable or shitty regardless of manufacturer, but their bloatware HP software crap really irritates me more than any other manufacturer.
>>
>>161256
bump
>>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3434570

Or if you really want to go cheap, considering what you want it to do, then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883795145&ignorebbr=1
>>
you don't need to bump after that short of time

I would highly suggest actually waiting for a sale or coupon; back to school should be going on or starting soon and there should be decent deals

staples sometimes has coupons that are good on sale or clearance items, making them super cheap

if you're serious about things like photshop, I would suggest looking for at least an intel i5, if not i7....I have an i3 at the moment and sometimes I wish it was a bit better one

whatever you do, don't buy it online without actually going to a store and trying it out first if they have a floor model....so many people completely ignore how important a quality keyboard is, but you can't get a feel for something like that just from pictures
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 845x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 845x475px
>>161256
>Photoshop
>Flash
You say you want a desktop, but for your price range you should get a Thinkpad X230t.

Because:

- damn good keyboard
- Ivy Bridge i5/i7 is still extremely capable
- touchscreen
- fingerprint logon
- cheap to expand to 16GB
- takes Thinkpad accessories like the USB3 dock and the 14 hour battery slice
- Built. In. Wacom. Tablet.

Seriously. You just pop out the pen. The screen flips around if you want to use it like a screen/tablet.
>>
>>161331
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3434570
Can you vouch for how well this computer works?
>>
>>161339
Not this exact model, but I have an older model and it works like a champ. Really just depends on what you want out of it. The small form factor could be an issue if you ever wanted to put a video card in it though.

As always though, whatever you get, get an extended warranty to go with it.
>>
>>161338
That sounds and looks like an awesome product, but all the versions that I've thus far found of it are +$1000.. I'm aiming for aroun $500
>>
>>161338
Well actually, I did find some used Thinkpad X230t's on ebay for around $400. (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Tablet-128GB-SSD-Core-i5-2-6GHz-Touch-windows-10-Pro-IPS-/122057164256?hash=item1c6b2c85e0:g:L0EAAOSw0fhXlMS~)
>>
I will still look into every suggestion given, but I am highly considering the Thinkpad X230t. Is this a good investment for my purposes?
>>
You're gonna wish that you were on 10 by 2020. XP has since been a safety hazard since MS stopped supporting it. I upgraded to 10 last year and wouldn't go back to 7 if someone paid me to. It not only removed my bloatware, but being able to reinstall the OS from the hard drive is pretty sweet.. didn't have that luxury on 7.
>>
>>161778
There's absolutely nothing stopping you making your own Windows 7 recovery partition, and if you're actually selling computers, it has to be there or you can't sell the cheaper OEM licenses.

Just copy the DVD onto a FAT32 partition, slipstream in the drivers for your machine, and then boot it with EFI, or if you don't have EFI, then Smart Boot Manager, Bootmgr, and a Windows 7 VBR.

A real OEM would use unattended setup so that the partition behaves like a real recovery partition, but for most people's needs, just running setup as if you stuck the disk in is good enough.
>>
>>161392
That looks like a good one. It comes with a Windows 10 license, which is a bonus. Thinkpads come with 7 Pro, so it'll have 10 Pro.

But ask him if it has the touchscreen (or just the tablet), and if it has the fingerprint reader. It'll probably need a RAM upgrade, but that's really cheap, and 4GB will do for now.

You can fit the fingerprint reader yourself: you just need to take the bottom panel of the screen off, screw it in and connect the cable. As far as I know, the touchscreens are bonded to the LCD, so if you want one you need to buy one that has one.

>>161678
Ideally have a play with one before committing to it. Thinkpads are very well spoken about for a reason, though. Being able to draw straight on the screen in Photoshop is very cool.
>>
File: 1468487359130.png (43KB, 224x180px) Image search: [Google]
1468487359130.png
43KB, 224x180px
>>161795
Good idea. I will contact the seller and ask them whether or not it's touch screen. I'm not sure where I'd get a hold of one to tinker with though. None of the stores near me have it.
>>
>>162017
one more bump
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.