[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, I need a netbook for uni, I start next semester in a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: dell.jpg (217KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
dell.jpg
217KB, 1500x1500px
Hello,

I need a netbook for uni, I start next semester in a week, it would be for lightweight programming and math so I don't need much power and I have very little money, its just to avoid having to use the computers at the university that aren't always available.

The best I can afford is something like this (in the future I'll get something better): https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-Processor-Genuine-Windows/dp/B00P6O36TM

Would you buy it? No one says anything about battery life, some seller just told me it lasts only 2 hours? Is that true? I can't do shit with 2 hours, I need 4 at least, anyone has any experience with this? Is there something better for roughly the same price?

Also I would wipe that Windows 7 and install a lightweight Linux, not sure if that matters.
>>
I wouldn't buy any netbook or anything else with an Atom processor. I have a similar netbook that I bought used for cheap a few years ago and it didn't take me long to put it on the shelf and never use it again. Not worth it.
>>
>>160654
Why not? Maybe for your needs you needed more power?

I had a netbook with an Atom and for studying in high school it was perfectly fine, the keyboard got fucked up after couple of years and could not find a replacement.

Really my only concern is battery life.
>>
>>160655
It was extremely sluggish compared to what I was used to, I suppose. It couldn't handle youtube video playback without struggling and also stutter stepped a lot on facebook and a few other sites.

Agree with you on battery life though, especially buying a used laptop/netbook, expect the battery to not be able to hold a long charge. Ebay replacement batteries can be a gamble as well, not to mention that would be an additional cost if your trying to go real cheap because of financial reasons.
>>
>>160661
If I decided to wait until next month and get something for around 100-120 dollars, is there something you would consider decent? Using Amazon or similar as a reference.

For example locally the Latitude 2100 costs 200 fucking dollars, its insane (and refurbished, not even new).
>>
If you're looking to buy used anyway, might I suggest a core 2 duo laptop instead, you can find some in the same price range as the netbook your looking at. I honestly don't think you're going to find anything used that will satisfy your battery requirement (or too many brand new for that matter)

Here is an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T60-15-2-Windows-XP-Pro-Laptop-Core-2-Duo-2-00GHz-2GB-RAM-80GB-/252471659471?hash=item3ac87bcbcf:g:X2kAAOSwSv1XkowM

Sure, it has Windows XP on it, but if your contemplating lightweight linux distro anyway, the OS it ships with shouldn't matter. Just be ware of wireless adapter issues with using a linux distro, you may or may not have to jump through hoops to get one working unless you use an intel wireless chipset, those are usually natively supported in linux.

Otherwise, you might consider a chromebook if battery life is more important, but you'll lack features unless everything you need is cloud based such as word processing and spreadsheets is acceptable to you. Also printer support on chromebooks is lacking unless you have ready access to a printer set up on a cloud.
>>
>>160669
>chromebook
I thought about it for a second, but no way, I want to use a Linux as I'll be making small applications in C and Pascal.

I guess I will have to settle for 2-3 hours tops, maybe I can find somewhere to plug in the computer in uni aswell idk, thanks for the advice.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.