[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey wsr. I just got a copyright infringement message from comcast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: 025Pikachu_XY_anime_3.png (52KB, 374x333px) Image search: [Google]
025Pikachu_XY_anime_3.png
52KB, 374x333px
hey wsr. I just got a copyright infringement message from comcast for pirating shit. What will they do and what do I do?
>>
If it's anything like the UK, literally nothing. The price to pay someone to inform the police or inspect your house massively outweights how much you've cost them in sales. Do nothimg, it's fine.
>>
>>157209
Well I'm in the US. I just found out it was copyright trolls. Companies that actively go out of their way to look for people that infringe on the work they own, sue the person, and profit from it. Will they sue me?
>>
>>157216
Unless you've been torrenting a serious amount of shit and distributing it, no.
>>
>>157219
By distributing do you mean seeding or actively uploading it to torrent sites?
>>
>>157221
yes
>>
>>157223
Well, I've been seeding about 3-4 torrents for a while. I haven't distributed any though.
>>
>>157228
how long is a while?

a week or two is probably alright but anything longer will get you into trouble
>>
>>157230
Probably 2 weeks. Maybe a little more. The notice was sent from "Rightscorp". I feel that I should mention that they sent me a notice for pirating one song from one album, nothing else.
>>
>>157232
post pic of legal letter or copy/paste email
im 99% sure these are scare tactics that you can just ignore

especially since it's one company for one song
>>
File: notice.png (64KB, 289x513px) Image search: [Google]
notice.png
64KB, 289x513px
>>157234
here's part of it.
>>
File: notice 2.png (84KB, 289x513px) Image search: [Google]
notice 2.png
84KB, 289x513px
>>157236
here's the other part
>>
>>157236
>mfw Infringement type: null
not sure if this means they didn't specify a type of infringement in the notice to digitalrightscorp or what but just ignore this since it doesn't look like they can do anything anyway
if you live in the US legally they have to give you like 3 warning letters or something before you go to court over copyright

also does it ask you to go to court or contact them or something? or is just a stupid threatening letter
>>
>>157239
if thats all of it then dont worry they can't do anything
it's just a warning letter telling you not to pirate shit or comcast *might* disconnect your service
they probably only sent it to make some music company happy and i doubt they care too much
>>
>>157241
I don't believe it asks for me to reply.
>>
>>157242
thanks for the info, anon. I'm still not entirely sure why they didn't just send me a notice for pirating the entire album. Not sure what made them pick that one particular song. I pirated another album by the same band which was not noticed by the copyright trolls. I've stopped seeding all my torrents, and will be on the dl in terms of torrenting for a bit. If you look up Digital Rights Corp, there are tons of stories similar to mine. Most of the responses on the forums they're asked on say that they're using scare tactics to get my money. Although this notice didn't ask for any money.
>>
>>157243
see >>157242
if it was serious they would either take you to court or ask you to reply to them
>>
>>157248
That's a relief then. Thanks for the help, anon.
>>
>>157247
they basically got a request from the music producer and so turned on a bot that monitors torrent traffic for one specific song
thousands of people probably got these letters and torrent speed would have went to shit for a while because it was getting slowed down to monitor it
>>
>>157250
yeah, that's very likely. I guess I should just start pirating using a VPN then.
>>
>>157251
+1 for Torquard since they specifically say p2p and torrents are ok by them and is cheap
>>
>>157253
>Torquard
K I'll check it out. I'd be willing to pay for a VPN, but how are the free ones? All completely shit, or do some of them work?
>>
>>157254
all the free ones are shit and sell your info to ad companies anyway

>protip if you are getting something for free remember YOU are the one getting sold

i think Torquard is like 10 euro per month
>>
>>157255
Cool, I'll try it out.
>>
>>157255
I'm also a bit of a poorfag. Would pirating at the library suffice?
>>
>>157427
shameless bump
>>
>>157228
FYI seeding counts as distributing. You're uploading data for other people, that's distributing.

>>157251
That or look into joining a private tracker. If you're looking for music then try joining What.cd. They have an application process that requires some knowledge of encoding, but there's study guides for it if you need to bone up on your knowledge.
>>
>>157598
Thanks anon. Where are these study guides?
>>
>>157601
Here's the official one written by the tracker's staff: https://www.whatinterviewprep.com/
>>
>>157602
Can I get away with torrenting at my public library or any other public hotspot?
>>
>>157624
Realistically there's a 90% chance you can continue torrenting at home with no consequences. The only time these companies take pirates to court is when they want to make an example of people.
>>
>>157624
You should be fine at home. Just be more selective about what you torrent. Popular/recent media on public mainstream trackers is probably going to be monitored, but not other shit. As an example, I've been torrenting anime for the better part of a decade without a single message from Comcast. I torrent one episode of Game of Thrones cause I missed the stream and I get an email similar to the one you got.

If you get a private tracker you won't have to worry at all. Most private trackers actually forbid you from torrenting via VPN or a computer other than your personal one.
>>
>>157725
Good to know. In hindsight, what I downloaded was definitely a honeypot. It was a new album downloaded from an extremely popular pirate site, tpb.

Are there any signs that the torrent's likely being monitored? How new is new? A couple months? A couple years? What are some more underground torrent sites than tpb and kat? I've heard the less popular the site is, the less likely you are to get in trouble with a big company/isp.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.