[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm running Windows 7 and for the past few weeks, Windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Robot Anderson.jpg (15KB, 365x272px) Image search: [Google]
Robot Anderson.jpg
15KB, 365x272px
I'm running Windows 7 and for the past few weeks, Windows Explorer has been crashing a lot. I'll get an error message saying that it's stopped working, my desktop icons will stop working, and all my personal files (everything in my Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders) will become inaccessible. Up until today, restarting the computer would fix the problem. But since a few hours ago, it's been crashing as soon as I log on, making it difficult to do anything with the computer and preventing me from accessing my personal files at all. Now the start menu and desktop background and icons don't appear at all, there's just a blank blue screen from the moment I log on to my account.

I can use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open Task Manager, but that's literally all I can do. I was only able to get online by using Task Manager to run Command Prompt and opening Internet Explorer from there directly. (Trying to open files on my computer with Internet Explorer usually doesn't work. PDFs will open, strangely enough, but nothing else will.)

I've been trying to fix this problem for the past four hours, to no avail. Things I've already tried:
>Using Command Prompt to run explorer.exe. It'll just give me the same error message that I get when I log on.
>Doing a scan with System File Checker. It never finds any problems.
>Doing a disk check. Just doesn't work.
>Doing a System Restore. Just doesn't work.
>Starting the computer in Safe Mode. It just won't start at all.
>Repairing the startup files. It'll say it's loading the necessary files and display a loading bar, but it always freezes up once it's done.
>Running diagnostics for hardware problems. I tried it twice, and both times it said there was nothing wrong with any of the hardware.

Is there anything I can do?
>>
>>124452
Sounds like your hard drive is dying.
You should get a new hard disk, or upgrade to a SSD.
Since you have a spare computer, try to plug your Hard drive on it to recover the files you can (it won't hurt to backup even if the drive is ok), then to do a disk check to confirm its state.
>>
It could be a virus too.
I'd still backup the files I want to keep and check for any viruses when the drive is connected to the other computer.
>>
>>124453
>>124459
I don't have a spare computer, I got online by opening Internet Explorer with a Command Prompt. I'm broke so I can't afford a new computer or a new hard drive.

Also, how would I go about backing up my files without being able to use Windows Explorer or access anything on my C: drive? I could try uploading everything to my e-mail one by one, but that'd take forever and the bigger files probably wouldn't get through.
>>
-Failing Hard Drive, if nothing else
-Virus

If you have a recovery drive
>Recover option
If you do not have a recovery option
>Grab OS disks and format Hard Drive. *Only as a last resort, of course.
>>
>>124461
You could burn linux onto a disc/flash drive and use that to copy your files off
>>
>>124452
Sorry if I'm hijacking this OP but I have a similar issue.

Last Sunday I received a blue screen crash while using Chrome. I don't remember what happened afterwards (Vaguely I recall it checking for something and maybe saying it's done so I restart). I probably messed up there, but besides that afterwards I restart the comp, and after the splash logo I get a black screen with text saying it's checking the disk or something, and then it enters a bootloop. Luckily I could still enter Safe Mode, but I couldn't use System Restore. Startup Repair seemed to do the trick, and I can restart just fine again.

However during the Welcome screen loading, it flashes a black screen once or twice, only to open to a blank screen as OP describes. I can still maneuver with Task Manager, but running New Task on explorer.exe says its not found. So my explorer.exe won't function properly. I've checked the registry for the shell and it shows explorer.exe is there, but it just doesn't want to work. I've done the sfc scan and it has found some corrupt files, along with an error 87, which means it cannot retrieve the explorer.exe because its gone.

I had done a complete reinstall into Windows 7 Ultimate last week and this happens to me. I fear it may ultimately be my hard drive kicking the bucket but I would really appreciate some insight into this.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.