[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am going to be experimenting with linux hopefully soon on one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1407828623375.png (1019KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1407828623375.png
1019KB, 1366x768px
I am going to be experimenting with linux hopefully soon on one of my old laptops, and I am fishing for opinions. I know there hasn't been an official desktop ricing thread in a while so I'm asking here. I'm thinking about using Debian (if there are others I should check out let me know) but I was wondering how I would take stock linux and turn it into something like pic related. I know this is the wallpapers board and this is more /g/ stuff but I feel this is more about ricing and I know the ricers dwell here. I would just like some opinions and/or tutorials before I make the leap. I thank anyone who takes the time to help
>>
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing
>>
Debian can have a lot of driver issues if you've got an nvidia card. I know I had them.

Tips:
Play with wms, find a favorite. I like openbox myself.
Look into different icon packs.
Terminator is great.
Don't be afraid to automate little tasks with shell scripts. Or big ones. Python also works very well for scripting.
Have fun with it. Linux is fun if you let it be.
>>
>>6667703
thank you

>>6667719
yeah it would just be using integrated graphics so i think i'll be fine, and thank you for the tips, they'll be put to use
>>
>corbel font

looks nice as fuck, but can't find it for free
>>
friendly reminder
> hardware accel not working with intel graphics on debian
>>
op you should try arch, its really good and not as difficult as people make it out to be.
>>
>>6668020
alright, yeah i'm just looking for info
>>
File: ayy123.jpg (96KB, 1024x1320px) Image search: [Google]
ayy123.jpg
96KB, 1024x1320px
>>6667640
>this is more /g/
>posting ctrl+c -> ctrl+v from dotshare.it with different wallpapers belongs more to /g/ than to a wallpapers board
>>
>>6668169
I just meant the linux part is more /g/
>>
>>6668020
nah dude he should go for lfs, it's really good and not as difficult as people make it out to be
>>
>>6668180
would that be good for a beginner? I've never had linux experience and would like to learn about it and this seems good. How could I keep my windows OS on my laptop side by side with the linux from scratch setup? or would i have to jump in balls deep with no other option?
>>
>>6668187
lol don't go with lfs, that was a joke
arch is a distro not aimed at beginners

Go with any of the Ubuntu flavours, get Rufus to mount the ISO on a USB.
You can try it out live before installing it.

Figure out what a desktop environment, display manager and window manager is.

If you go with Arch chances are you're going to get overwhelmed and tap out, installation involves using the terminal even though you're mostly following instructions. After installation you will have a very basic Linux system greeting you with the terminal.

Distro does not matter when it comes to ricing. You can have that exact same setup with Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, Fedora, openSUSE or pretty much anything else. Only difference will be instead of the Debian logo it will be the logo of whatever distro you happen to be running.

Only distro that I've heard of not being able to install alongside Windows was SteamOS but that was a few years ago. It pretty much comes down to partitioning, use the partitioning tool in Windows to unallocate free space or create a new partition. Then install a distro onto that partition.
>>
>>6668187
Neither lfs nor archlinux are difficult as long as you are able to read and understand provided documentation, it's written specially for beginners/illiterates. To be honest it's harder to install Debian than those above because debian doesn't have wiki that would describe each and every installation step with such precision, you could basically ctrl+c -> ctrl+v on each step from it(in case you are installing to a vm, otherwise just open documentation on your phone and you have to type the commands).
>>
>>6667640
I'm probably not the most experienced on here but honestly I botched up a few linux systems before I truly understood what I was doing and the different parts that go into a system. If you really want to learn what goes into the system do an arch install, that's what I run and how I learned. Just pay attention to the documentation and learn what you are doing, don't just copy and paste and then never learn it. The down side to an arch install is that once you have a fresh install you are sitting at a command line. There are a lot of tutorials to get you to a more typical setup. It all depends on you. You could also install manjaro(?) correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's based on arch but is easy to install and gives you pretty much just what you need with a few extras, its nowhere near the bloat of ubuntu. I hated Debian with a passion back when I gave it a try, it probably isn't that bad though. Definitely play investigate some wm styles and their individual implementations, its really about building the system around your wants and needs. Don't be afraid to mess with stuff, best way to learn is to do in my opinion. Just keep track of what you do and how to reverse it if you run into trouble.
>>
>>6668197
Last I checked, Debian was easier to install than Arch. Then again, I installed both multiple times on both VMs and RPis. So maybe I've just gotten used to it.
>>
I am a new linux user with little knowledge of computers in general.

I tried to install Arch linux and, i hate to say, that was a total failure. THen I jump to Debian, but a crash with the "firmware problem", which I could not understand in time.

So I install the Mint, and I have to say, I am loving. Even to a non-expert in computers you can fell how better than windows GNU/Linux is. And more, I am really learning how to properly use the OS.

By the way, you got to love the apt-get command.

And know, if I beat my lazyness, I will install Debian (or if my adventure spirit speaks louder) try to install Arch again in my other notebook.
>>
Install gentoo.
>>
>>6670315
Don't worry too much about distro-hopping. If you do end up switching again in the future, architect is a good Arch installer. Also, I've heard great things about NixOS. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. GuixSD is another good one, but I hear it's basically just a NixOS clone focused more on free software.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.