[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy shit, /vr/ I had played several shmups in my life, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

Holy shit, /vr/

I had played several shmups in my life, and have I never had so much fun playing this one.

I declare Tyrian 2000 to be the best space shooter of all time.
>>
>>4249584
>inb4 it's too easy.

There's an arcade mode and difficulty levels. Also an unlockable "suicidal" mode if you really wanna pretend you're so hardcore.
>>
>>4249672
It is a bit on the easy side, especially at the earlier levels, but I also find it challenging, but in a good way. Challenging in where I died because I know it was my fault, not some stupid trap the designers laid out to be impossible to pass.

And I can't go back to controlling fighter ships with anything but a mouse now.

And this game is free on gog. I was perusing the free catalog, figured id give it a shot, and i realize I would have paid for it if I could. It's just a fun good shooter.
>>
>>4249680
>game is free on gog
The SDL port runs faster than the dosboxed gog version, if you like speed.
>>
>>4249742
https://bitbucket.org/opentyrian/opentyrian/wiki/Home

Oh. You can even run it on dead finland phones!
>>
>>4249584
>not Silpheed

>>
>>4249584
have you played axelay?

And yeah, Tyrian is good
>>
>>4249584
I like the music.
>>
>>4249584
>I declare Tyrian 2000 to be the best space shooter of all time.
>best
>space shooter
>declare

I declare OP to be a fag.
>>
File: IMG_20151218_204012.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151218_204012.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
Kind of a wierd mashup of jap/euro computer shmup influrences. Lots of Amiga throwbacks but i'd say the biggest influence is zanac/aleste series.
>>
File: 132.jpg (109KB, 634x813px) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
109KB, 634x813px
>western STG
>best anything
What's up with PC gaming and mentally ill people?
>>
>>4249803
quiet, gay anime girl
>>
careful OP, you'll disturb the autists who think they're cool because they spent years memorizing games intended to rob kids of their quarters
>>
Tyrian 2.0 > Tyrian 2000 > Tyrian 1.0
>>
>>4250357
Good taste.
>>
File: UGtab01.png (256KB, 978x1058px) Image search: [Google]
UGtab01.png
256KB, 978x1058px
>>4249747
Those dead finland phones may be more powerful than my 486. I still have one of those phones but I wouldn't game on it.
>>
>got a Roland
>dat soundtrack
>>
OP here, just finished episode 5. on the whole i liked it. story got really goofy there near the end like they were running out of ideas. but im glad i played. ill probably get back to this game another time and bump up the difficulty
>>
>>4253325
What did you like about it?
Music, controls, gameplay, story, worldbuilding, ships&weapons, level design? Tell me more about your experience, please.
>>
>>4253365
>Music,
Excellent tracks. Gets you pumping like any music should
>controls,
with a mouse, which I can't go back to d-pad or even stick anymore. call me inexperienced, but this is the first shmup ive ever controlled with a mouse, and its awesome
>gameplay,
challenging, but not level trap hard. also no one hit kills. I played the campaign so you upgrade your ship between missions rather than during the missions. its just overall a relaxed fun casual shmup experience that i could go back for more
>story,
cliched and dumb, to be honest, but it gave an excuse for you to shoot shit up. and that was enough for me
>worldbuilding,
there's a lot more than you would think actually. in between each mission there are transmissions and messages to read that build on the story. after a while i gave up reading them because it was pretty menial though
>ships&weapons,
a large variety, but you buy them inbetween the missions, so you dont pick them up in game (unless you play arcade mode). you buy stuff like ship chassis which have more armor, shields, generators, guns, sidekicks and such. the generator is an interesting one because you can get a poweful gun and upgrade it a bunch, but if your generator sucks then it wont recharge your shields as fast as you want, and slow your rate of fire slightly. so you have to make sure your generator keeps up with your guns.
>level design?
absolutely gorgeous. I loved the wide variety of environments. it was really appealing to me. they managed to switch things up often enough so that even after 5 episodes it remained interesting.
>Tell me more about your experience, please.
just play it! it's free on gog.com
>>
>>4249672
There's also Lord of the Game mode above this. I found the jump from Impossible to Suicide was ridiculous
>>
>>4253387
>its just overall a relaxed fun casual shmup experience
to expound on this, that does not mean it was without any intense moments or triumphs. it was a good mix of fun casual to intense but achievable. i had to replay a couple missions a few times.
>>
>>4253387
Oh, I already played it, just wanted you to elaborate on what made you like it.
Also, ship twiddle codes.
Also also, not /vr/, but check out Jets'n'Guns
If you liked Tyrian, you will probably enjoy it, there are many overlaps. Big difference is that its side-scrolling space shooter, but I dare to say its the best one there is.
>>
>>4253427
ah ok
sweet ill check that out
>>
>>4253430
If you end up playing it, make sure you get Gold version, it has around double the level count and even more weapons and ships to choose from.
>>
seems lame.
>>
Stargunner is free on GoG is a horiztonal shmup thats pretty fun to play with a mouse too.
>>
>>4253474
nice ill check it out
>>
>>4253474
Looks interesting, thanks.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.