[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here unironically liking Hexen? As in you actually played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: logo[1].jpg (31KB, 490x236px) Image search: [Google]
logo[1].jpg
31KB, 490x236px
Anyone here unironically liking Hexen? As in you actually played them recently instead of just pretending to like them for cool retro gamer points?

I mean, I love the 80's dark fantasy aesthetic. I tried to get into Hexen 1 & 2 many times, but I always get exhausted and drop them. The weapons just don't work. Melee weapons are rarely fun in an FPS, much less on a Doom/Quake engine, and the ranged ones are mostly rocket launcher type that you quickly run out of ammo to use with. The level design is the epitome of the 90's "key hunt" trope. Could anybody here tell me what was so fun about the Seven Portals hub? Okay, I actually completed it, and Shadow Wood was almost okay, the foggy swamp levels were kinda cool. But Heresiarch's Seminary? It's just the same Dark Bishop enemy with that repeating voice clip and homing projectile attack copy pasted at least 9000 times. Fuck, this game is trash.

I'm a huge Quake 1 fan so I've played most of Hexen 2's levels. It's better than Hexen 1, but it suffers from the same problems, obscure goals, way too big levels, few enemy types copy pasted all over the place (those fucking spiders), bad weapon design, very questionable enemy patterns (e.g. the jaguar warriors are invincible when they're howling for some reason), all resulting in a very uneven difficulty and a very mixed experience over all.
>>
Quoting a post in a forum:

"I'm a shirtless Viking guy and I just punched an entire level to death and a giant flaming skull asked me if I was ready to die and omfg this game is METAL."

Game is as good as the other FPS games back then.
>>
I don't think anyone at vr likes or plays any games at all, other than pretending doing so for cool retro gamer points.
>>
File: 3521589.png (250KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
3521589.png
250KB, 657x527px
>>4248236
hexen 2 is one of the worst games ever made hexen 1 is awesome you are just stupid.
Hexen 1 has a very clear goal
The Levels are perfect and infact still the greatest first person levels ever created in any game up untill the time of posting this

As for the enemies, Ill say it again, You just suck and are stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ht3XGhlfYs
>>
File: 96325856913.png (323KB, 470x500px) Image search: [Google]
96325856913.png
323KB, 470x500px
> he can't even into 7 portals.
>>
What's with all the Hexen threads lately? Am I missing something?
>>
>>4248309
yeah, the fang key
>>
>>4248236
I liked the feel of the game and the setting. Definitely not a big fan of the way it was structured though, it was really hard to tell where to go/what do to next. I had guide on me at all times, even a simple one sentence explanation helped cause I just couldn't figure shit out on my own.
>>
I'm kinda in love and hate relationship with Hexen. I should play it again sometime to decide on a verdict.
>>
>A door has been unlocked somewhere
>A fourth of the puzzle has been solved
>>
Too much switch hunting. But for fantasy-folks it may be a pretty cool game.
>>
>>4248236

I get motion sickess everytime I try to play hexen
>>
File: SWEETIE.jpg (228KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
SWEETIE.jpg
228KB, 666x666px
>>4248316
>He uses guides.
>Ever.
>>
people who cant figure out seven portals are fucking morons, go into guardian of ice and hit the switch to open fire and steel, then go to fire grab the mask, go to steel hit both switches (the trickest part of seven portals is figuring out the walls in the basement can be shifted), go back to ice, beat that, then go to fire get the fire key, go to steel grab the steel key then go back to ice and into the steel and fire doors that were locked the first time you went into guardian of ice. I've barely played hexen but you would have to be fucking retarded to not know how to do seven portals
>>
>>4248386
Fuck you, first time I got to guardian of steel I didn't even know those corner pillars are actually doors, they look like anything but. This game literally requires you to hump every wall in order to proceed.
>>
>>4248410
Yeah actually the corner pillars are kind of tricky, but still there really isnt many places to go at that point in the level
>>
Imagine how much better HeXen would be if it was an actual RPG with an "open world" and dungeons and had more weapons and had stats, something like Daggerfall but with Doom engine movement and combat.

HeXen is a good concept, the game looks, sounds and feels amazing but the fucking levels themselves with the hidden switch hunting as a main gameplay element is really weak. They could have innovated in a way that wasn't turning straight up Doom-clone Heretic into a mazelike levels + hub world switch hunting game. The very start of HeXen I always found amazing but it just fades out and never comes back.

People are probably going to think this is a shitpost but yeah. If HeXen was more like Daggerfall, Zelda or something similar I think it'd be better and remembered much more fondly.
>>
>>4248508
Actually even something like making it a first person Diablo clone would be interesting, with a town, levelling up, stats, loot, etc.

Obviously it predates Daggerfall & Diablo by a year or so though so it would had have to have been an innovation on the part of Raven Software for something like that to happen.

What's Deathkings of the Dark Citadel like? I feel like if I go back to HeXen to try it out again I don't want to be replaying the main campaign, is the expansion any good?
>>
File: 257i1yp.jpg (336KB, 557x856px) Image search: [Google]
257i1yp.jpg
336KB, 557x856px
>>4248508
I'd personally love it if Hexen was p much a medieval dark fantasy Metroid Prime.

But yeah, they didn't have much to work with. Even in Strife, the most advanced out of Doom engine games, you don't have many new gameplay features.
>>
>>4248520
the expansion is "more hexen"
>>
>>4248520
>Deathkings of the Dark Citadel

annoying respawn rate
>>
>>4248236
Hexen was my second FPS after Wolfenstein. I have no idea why we had either game on our family computer but they were fun as fuck. I didn't get into the whole Quake/Doom craze nor did I play Duke Nukem but I remember Hexen 1 as a pretty good game, very challenging but fun nonetheless. Not sure why OP doesn't like it other than maybe it didn't age well.
>>
>>4248508
just play it with the wrath of cronos mod, I was playing it the other day and having a blast
>>
>>4248524
>I'd personally love it if Hexen was p much a medieval dark fantasy Metroid Prime.
My dick would be diamonds.
>>
>>4248236
some of us are 30+ and are oblivious to retro gamer points
>>
>>4249302
So what? Being older just makes you a nostalgiafag at most.
>>
>>4248236
I've played Hexen and Dark Citadel probably four times now. Two of those times with the Wrath of Chronos mod. I also played a wad. Forget the name of it atm though. Fighter is the best.
>>
>>4248236
i love this game, all time favorite
youre just playing it wrong dude, or being one of those fags who walk in expecting it to be "DOOM WITH FISTS AND MAGIK LOL"
>>
>>4248236
I like it. Exploration and puzzles and combat that's more focused on item usage and management rather than blasting things to death all the time.

The map design is a bit tough, not exactly intuitive, but the game is essentially a demigod toying with the player, so it makes sense that the whole thing should be torture.
>>
>>4248236
Parias is the biggest fucking bamf.
I want to make a mod updating the Hexen weaponry.
>>
>>4248236
>I don't like this game
>must mean that it's trash
am I on /v/?
I think that Hexen is a flawed game, it could use more weapon variety or maybe a levelling up system with you unlocking new abilities. I actually like the exploration aspect of it and don't think that the "puzzles" are too hard or obtuse (however when I played it as kid I did)
>>
File: BAMF-300x225.jpg (12KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
BAMF-300x225.jpg
12KB, 300x225px
>>4249832
?
>>
>>4248236
I enjoyed hexen 2 back in the day. Didnt.like quake 2, at all.
>>
Is there a mid that adds all of the Heretic weapons back into HeXen?
>>
>>4250231
It would be pretty easy to implement. You'd have to go through all of hexen's levels and place the weapons and their ammo, and it would likely throw the balance off. Plus is would count as editing the Iwad, so not totally legal

Do you really want to do that?
>>
>>4248508
did you just describe Amulets & Armor? It's a quite shitty though
>>
>>4248245
Go back to /v/ piece of shit.
>>
>>4248508
>>4248520
Literally Wrath of Chronos

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=35846
>>
>>4248236
Why do you keep making these threads over and over lately shitting on Hexen? It's getting annoying.
>>
>>4248236
Heretic and Hexen are both cool. Every Doom Engine game is cool.
>>
>>4250328
Looks like the download link/site link is broken on the pages that post links to.

Also does this work with Deathkings or just normal HeXen?
>>
>>4248282
Hexen 2 was great. It was Quake 1 on crack.
>>
>>4248236

I love Heretic and Hexen II, but I could never get into Hexen I. As a kid, I had the shareware version of Hexen II, played it over and over and over, then when I hit my mid-teens I ordered the full game online and loved it. Heretic I also played the shareware constantly as a kid, but got the full game later on Skulltag as a base WAD. Still go back and play it sometimes.
>>
File: 1505140829899.png (349KB, 1704x943px) Image search: [Google]
1505140829899.png
349KB, 1704x943px
>tfw Hecatomb never ever
>>
>>4248282
Wow! That's the worst post I've seen this year on all of 4chan. Quite the feat.
>>
Can't find a mirror for Wrath of Cronos 1.8a or 2.0 anywhere, all of the links from the many threads link to dead websites and 404s.
>>
>>4253849
Yeah looks like its dead.

Play Serpent : Resurrection, it has all the xp and level up stuff and provides a new world and story, and it incredibly high quality. Probably one of the best Hexen mods ever made. Lots of new enemies and weapons and flavor text.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.