[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know Tonic Trouble was just ubisoft testing the engine to release

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Tonic_Trouble_Capa_N64.png (183KB, 378x263px) Image search: [Google]
Tonic_Trouble_Capa_N64.png
183KB, 378x263px
I know Tonic Trouble was just ubisoft testing the engine to release Rayman 2 later, but it ended up being so much better than Rayman 2 in my opinion. Why is this game so underrated?
>>
>>4247484

>colorful graphics instead of dark muddy ones
>faster gameplay
>more platforming and less puzzles

Tonic Troube >> Ramyan 2
>>
To me Tonic Trouble is a quintessential, middle-of-the-road, perfect grade 'C' of a game. It's competently made, all the controls work as they should, but it's just also kinda... boring. It lacks a certain spark which I wanna blame on both music and world design which isn't that interesting. I played it, beat it, didn't hate any part of it, but nor did I ever go "this is awesome!."

So it's not an underrated game, nor is it overrated. It's just not really talked about which is exactly the kind of rating it deserves.
>>
>>4247484
Sorry but this game is not better than Rayman 2, not by a long shot. The world of Rayman 2 is lush, beautiful, light-hearted and humorous, but also dark and forboding. Conversely, this game feels extremely cartoonish and just doesn't do much to stand out from the competition. Mediocre in every sense of the word.
>>
Its collectathon aspect disqualifies it.
>>
>>4247646
>Its collectathon aspect disqualifies it.
>le collecthon maymay
You would love Crash Bandicoot, it's designed with literal retards in mind who think good gameplay is walking in a straight line and having nothing to find and nowhere to explore.
>>
>>4247654
Revisiting levels you hate just to get that one thermometer or abstract spiral thing or whatever the fuck located in a 2 m2 area that you couldn't reach 3 days ago is not exploration you dingus.
>>
>>4247671
>Revisiting levels you hate just to get that one thermometer or abstract spiral thing or whatever the fuck located in a 2 m2 area that you couldn't reach 3 days ago is not exploration you dingus.
Tonic Trouble sucks, yes, but I was more attacking the blatantly retarded notion that a game being a "collecathon" is somehow inherently a bad thing. It sounds like you need to play good games like Banjo-Kazooie if you feel so molested by your average platformer.
>>
>>4247654
Crash is a collectathon so I don't know what is your point here.
>>
>>4247685
>Crash is a collectathon so I don't know what is your point here.
>every platformer is a collectathon
Are you retarded?
>>
>>4247687
You need to break hundreds of crates, do stupid time trials and search for alternate routes and shit in search of the colored platform gems. All obsessive compulsive disorder challenges for autistic children
>>
>>4247692
Yeah... that's a platformer my dude. A collectathon is a term generally applied to a specific kind of platformer that sees you exploring large 3D worlds looking for a number of different permanent collectibles. Crash doesn't even have anything to fucking collect aside from fruits and extra lives which are practically the same. "Gems" aren't even a real collectible, just an award for getting 100% on a level, nothing you seek out and find. They are totally different concepts. If you're going to use retarded buzz words, at least use them in the correct way.
>>
>>4247693
This. Agreed 100%
>>
>>4247697
I honestly hate even honoring these stupid fucking terms. It can't just be a "good game" or a "bad game", it has to be pigeon-holed into some kind of autistic definition that makes it easier for human potatoes to understand. I cringe every time somebody describes a good platformer as a "collectathon", as if actually having things to see and do is somehow a negative.
>>
>>4247707
What if I say collectathon just to piss off people like you.
>>
File: 1492533715745.jpg (9KB, 313x313px) Image search: [Google]
1492533715745.jpg
9KB, 313x313px
>>4247726
>What if I say collectathon just to piss off people like you.
Then I guess you're just a faggot.
>>
I think it's just unnoticed

I had fun with this game, I have good memories of it

I still don't understand the plot at all though
>>
>>4247726
>I was pretending to be retarded
kek
>>
It was a nice game, but nothing further.
>>
I think the actual subject here actually is: is Rayman 2 is an overrated game?
>>
>>4247837
Not really. Fact is people don't talk much about Rayman anymore either.
>>
>>4247707
>2D platformers tend to be really simple and linear obstacle courses with a focus on pure skill, jumping is a main mechanic
>Collectathons tend to be about getting lost in big ass complex levels, jumping is merely a way to explore the enviroment and collect stuff
Geez, I wonder why some people that are fans of a certain thing don't like games that are the exact opposite of those things they enjoy.

No one is saying those are bad by themselves and yes BK is a great game, but
>tastes
>>
>>4248189

True, but rayman 2 is somewhat still remembered in high regard.

Rayman 3 is the most forgotten game in the franchise. Was it so bad that almost killed the franchise until rayman origins?
>>
>>4248325
Ray3 wasn't bad, is an actually fun game, it just was underwhelming in some aspects, specially as a follow-up to Ray2.
I guess it was more about Ubi focusing more on their hot IPs at the time (Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Rainbow Six, etc..).
>>4247837
While I think the game suffers from being extremely easy, It has so many memorable things and fantastic atmosphere that it deserves high praise.
>>
>>4247726

>I-I was just saying it to get your attention, b-baka

Tsundere retard a cute. Cute!
>>
>>4247692
>You need to
No, you don't.
You just need crystals for the basic ending and those are in plain sight.
>>
>>4248325
It's worse than 1 & 2 but not really a bad game, just feels completely different to the other 2 and I think the "humor" ruined it mostly
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.