[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a Horror thread? I just Beat pic related yesterday.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 22

File: IMG_1385.jpg (481KB, 1194x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1385.jpg
481KB, 1194x1200px
Can we have a Horror thread?

I just Beat pic related yesterday. Played it for the very first time after reading the novel. The game seriously is a sequel to the book, and I can't even imagine playing it without reading the book first. It's SO faithful to the source, even for a time where the book didn't have a western release at the games launch.

Playing through PE2 now.
>>
File: IMG_1351.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1351.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Also, this page gave me a whyboner
>>
>>4247002
Can you tell me the name of the book? I feel like this might be a fun project to take up because I never played the originals even though I'm 27.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>4247002
The great thing about the original is that the second time you play through you unlock a new area and potentially a new ending. Lots of fun.
My old roommate and I played the second together but we never beat it. lol he's kind of a moron, and since we agreed to take turns deciding what to upgrade / do in certain parts, by the time we got to the end our stats were too pitiful to beat the final boss. Unfortunately I lost all of my old games or I would play it this weekend.
>>
>>4247002
Great game. I even read the book out of curiosity but I can only remember the gist of it and the long parts about the medical system in Japan plus biology 101.
The movie, while pretty shitty, had an amazing soundtrack from Joe Hisaishi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zhw786zidw
>>
>>4247005
It's actually called Parasite Eve.
>>
>>4247040
Sorry I just looked it up and you're right of course, I didn't know it started as a book.
>>
File: lurking2[1].jpg (55KB, 950x432px) Image search: [Google]
lurking2[1].jpg
55KB, 950x432px
I feel like The Lurking Horror might be right up your alley, OP.
>>
>>4247002
PE is one of my favourite PSX games and it wasn't released in pal territories. No even through PSN.

>>4247024
>Unfortunately I lost all of my old games or I would play it this weekend.
Emulate.
>>
>>4247005

Be warned, the author felt the need to describe EVERYTHING. 50 pages were dedicated to explaining the process of a transplant.

I found it absolutely fascinating and fun to read, however.
>>
>>4247051

Looks neat. I'll check it out after work
>>
>>4247070
I've actually never done that before but good idea. What sort of controller would I need?
>>
File: huh.png (13KB, 232x200px) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
13KB, 232x200px
>>4247070
>remember seeing previews for PE in OPM UK
>check Wikipedia
>it's true, and no explanation is given
>mfw
>>
>>4247002

>Shitty English PS games
>Horror

Pick one.
>>
>>4248110
What is a good horror game?
>>
>>4248140

The only good retro horror games:

>Sanitarium
>Dark Seed (semen)
>IHNMAIMS
>Clock Tower

and maybe Silent Hill.
>>
>>4248143
ALL SHIT!! I NEVER GOT SCARED
>>
>>4247051
Oh man I love this game. This is one of my favorite Infocom games, and quite possibly the best written. Definitely highly recommend to anyone that likes horror games. The only one that comes close to it, in turns of writing, is Anchorhead.

Unfortunately, as far as Japanese horror goes, there are a lot of great games that are only released in Japan and only released in the visual novel format. I think that the Hayarigami series has to be the scariest for me, and no so much so because of the immediate content but the after images that it left in my head. Still the classics like Otogirisou and Kamaitachi no Yoru are still excellent games. Siren was a great series until they made the remake for the PS3. While a graphical improvement, they ruined the atmosphere and story of the game by shoehorning in American characters that had no relation, as opposed to the original story, to the plot besides some arbitrary documentary. What I think the original 2 PS2 Siren games do well is the sense of vulnerability. You are often unarmed and even if you are, you can only temporarily knock out an enemy, so you have to rely more on stealth and hiding to accomplish your goal.

For Western games, I'd say there are a lot of pretty good ones out there, the most popularly touted being Amnesia, but nothing matches the original Alone in the Dark in terms of atmosphere and vulnerability - the only one that comes close in terms of atmosphere is Nocturne. While it doesn't surpass Alone in the Dark and is more action oriented, there are a fair share of simple puzzles and item usage, the environments of the game are excellently done, the story and characters are interesting and the engine that was made (which was used for the first Blair Witch game, a sort of sequel to Nocturne, and for Alone in the Dark 4) helps to accentuate the pre-rendered backgrounds.
>>
>>4248143
Japanese horror is >>>>> superior to all European ""horror".
>>
Let's be honest, there are NO scary video games at all once you reach the age of 20+.
>>
>>4248450
Mother 3 is pretty scary as an adult if you don't know what's gonna happen next.
>>
>>4248450
>Horror means scary
>>
>>4248450
You'll never be as scared as you were when you were a kid (or if you end up in a real actual scary situation like someone has a gun pointed at you or something) but you can definitely get some tension and be hit by the occasional jump scare if you aren't fully prepared or if you're really invested/immersed
>>
>>4248450

I believed this until I played PT for the first time.

Resident Evil 7 also had to spooked until about half way through, when I learned how the enemy spawns worked.
>>
>>4248143
>dark seed
>good
I don't know, if you like style over substance then sure, but really you should just look at a Giger coffee table book then instead.
>IHNMAMS
Okay, now I know you're just some edgy contrarian
>>
>>4248076
We had the sequel, but not the first game. While the second part was pretty good, the first one remains the best.
Go figure about their decisions.
>>
I sold my parasite eve and my misadventures of tron bon at a garage sale a long time ago and I've never felt good since.
>>
>>4248562
Holy shit.
This makes me want to share the time that I sold Gungrave 1 and Jet Set Radio Future for an E-Reader. I don't think it gets worse or more stupid than that. Was dropping by to try to make you feel better.
>>
>>4248606
Nice job reading the thread as the most recommend stuff was Western games
>>
>>4247004
it appears to depict some sort of sex scene, so it's not that odd really
>>
>>4248587
than you anon... this is a time for mourning...
>>
File: IMG_1350.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1350.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
>>4248678

She was a blob monster, and intertwined her cells with the scientist, and literally raped him by stroking him off with her internal tentacles.

Kinda weird
>>
>>4247180
Dual shock
>>
File: IMG_1386.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1386.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
OP here. Giving Clock Tower a whirl now. Not sure what to expect. The graphics already blew me away.
>>
>>4249469
Clock Tower (SFC) and its direct sequel on Playstation are my two favorite games of all time. I replay them today. I genuinely hope you enjoy the game you're playing and if you enjoy it, Clock Tower on the Playstation (Clock Tower 2 in Japan) is a direct sequel and it is amazing.

Clock Tower: Ghost Head (known as Clock Tower 2: The Struggle Within in the US) is utter shit by comparison and has 0 to do with the first two games, but it's a horror game nonetheless.

Same goes for Clock Tower 3 on Playstation 2. Nothing to do with CT, but Capcom slapped the name on and released it. As much as I adore Clock Tower, I've never beaten 3 because it's so bland.

Night Cry was released last year and is a spiritual successor to Clock Tower championed by Clock Tower's original creator. I've never played it, but I've heard mediocre things.

Haunting Ground is a spiritual sucessor as well, I"ve never played it.

If you don't mind, OP, please tell us what you think of Clock Tower (SFC, AKA Clock Tower: The First Fear). I for one would be very interested in what you think of it and if it gives you the chills like it still does me on occasion.
By the way, how much do you know about it going in?
>>
File: Alone in the Dark 1992.jpg (86KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
Alone in the Dark 1992.jpg
86KB, 500x313px
>>4247002

Still the greatest horror game I've ever played. Still the only horror game that genuinely scared the shit out of me. The horrible slow control just makes it scarier. The ridiculous shit you could do (getting the record player and the Danube Waltz record and playing it while kicking the immortal rats in the wine cellar) still makes me smile. Still the single best interactive interpretation of Lovecraft I've ever played.

Preemptively ruined RE for me because they stole so much shit from it.

HD remake when so I can bitch about every single thing they've changed?
>>
>>4248143

I Have No Meme is fun but that's all it is.
>>
>>4249606
Well, I'm torn between this, Lurking Horror, Dark Corners and Shadow of the Comet. Prisoner of Ice can go fuck off. I seriously seriously hope that they do not make an HD remake of this game, because like everything else it will fucking ruin the game.
>>
>>4248140
Illbleed is pretty good weird horror game, sadly it's inventor died too young.

Ecco on dreamcast scared me more than silent Hill 2.

d2, but it's depressing.

and another one I just forgot... what was it...
>>
>>4248361
The fuck? Japanese horror is the dumbest shit that exists. I mean, all horror is generally shit these days but jap horror takes it to a whole new level of mediocrity.
>>
Clock Tower really is the best
https://youtu.be/3eDEsixw_Pg
>>
File: echo night 2.png (124KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
echo night 2.png
124KB, 250x250px
>>4249720
Do I have to play D1 to get D2?

Also, throwing the Echo Night series into the ring.
Echo Night 2 legitimately scared me at different points. Echo Night is also a great game with an effectively creepy atmosphere. Please check them both out. I beat them out of order and still had a wonderful game playing experience with them both.
>>
>>4250230
No, not at all.
>>
>>4248553
Pre-seventh generation era was generally fucking awful for Europe. There are tons and tons and tons of games that never made it here.

I especially remember seeing an American magazine page advertising numerous Square games that went on to become classics, and like not one them was released in the PAL region.
>>
>>4249596

I'm going in completely blind. So far, I love it. I actually got spooked when I interacted with a TV. I turned it on, then turned it off. As I walked across the room, it automatically turned itself back on. So simple, yet very effective. In the following room, a hand came from a mirror and strangled me. That was pretty unexpected as I didn't know the game had paranormal elements.

Also, the compressed screaming sounds make my skin icy. Something that never happens.
>>
>>4250254
I'm so glad ^_^
Those screams are no joke. I can hear them clearly in my head.
There are 5 endings to the game and all sorts of scenes to see and to miss. Have fun and good luck.
>>
>>4250230
Well I've just started Echo Night 2. Can't believe it's been already 2 years since the translation's been out and I haven't played it yet, I love 1 and Beyond.

2 looks great.
>>
>>4250308

I'm happy you feel so strongly about this!
>>
>>4247180
I use a PS3 one, but any controller that you can map to the PS1 will do as good.
>>
>>4248450
Saya no Uta is pretty freaky and unnerving.
>>
>>4247120
How was it?
>>
I loved PE so much... I hated PE2 so much.
That's all I have to say, really. Also, mitochondria!
>>
File: scissor man.jpg (15KB, 309x400px) Image search: [Google]
scissor man.jpg
15KB, 309x400px
>>4250369
>>4250720
I'm interacting with people playing my favorite games of all time for the first time. I feel like an old woman passing treasured heirlooms onto the neighbor kids whose parents are never around/too meth addicted to care about them. This is....my dream.
Thank you, anons. Thank you.

They're really solid games. It's a shame that they're relatively obscure. I haven't encountered many who have played them let alone discuss them.
>>
>>4251580

Whelp, I beat Clock Tower. That was surprisingly cinematic. The reveal of the twin/brother in the cavern was shocking and unexpected.

Did you draw that, anon?
>>
>>4247002
I'll list off retro horror games I liked
>Biohazard
>Biohazard 2
>Biohazard 3: Last Escape
All of them have tight controls and are the standard for PS1 Survival Horror
>Biohazard Gun Survivor
A nice experimental add on to the story of the original trilogy
>Biohazard Code: Veronica
Apparently this is retro given how there is a thread dedicated to Steve. A step down from BH3 and the 3D backgrounds are ass, but it's fun if you like the prior games
>Biohazard Gun Survivor 2: Code Veronica
Important lore, gameplay is dogshit though
>Biohazard Gun Survivor 4: Heroes Never Die
Fun standalone game with good lore and transgenders
>Silent Hill
Best survival horror game of all time.
>Overblood
It's fun
>Deep Fear
The Overblood of the Saturn
>Dino Crisis 1 and 2
Biohazard with dinosaurs
All I got right now, most of the good horror happened on the PS2, and I only included Heroes Never Die and Gun Survivor 2 because they were extensions of the Gun Survivor subseries
>>
File: hellnight02[1].gif (629KB, 503x480px) Image search: [Google]
hellnight02[1].gif
629KB, 503x480px
hellnight and silent hill are the best restro horror games
>>
Well I'm really enjoying Echo Night 2 so far; Made it to the Tower of Grief.

I like how there is actual threat which is a step up from EN1 (although now that I got a bottle for holy water it seems that i'll never run out of healing items), and the ghosts stories just keeping getting sadder and sadder.

Playing with Jap voices is a little unsettling. It actually helps immersion since the voices don't sound half as corny as the ones in EN1, although somehow I still miss an actual full translation with voices. I'm a sucker for PS1 VA.
>>
>>4248493
>PT

The video game equivalent of a screamer video. Outlast was much better.
>>
>good retro horror
doesn't exist. the genre became worthwhile during sixth gen and then died around the time amnesia and scarecam youtubers got big
>>
>>4249596
Haunting ground is god tier

One of the greatest horror games I've played and a fantastic successor to the clock tower series. It really feels faithful to the original if the original was brought to PS2
>>
>>4254189
>Calling RE4 a good horror game and ignoring the roots of the genre.
>>
File: illbleed (2).webm (2MB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
illbleed (2).webm
2MB, 900x506px
>>4254189
But Illbleed is retro.
>>
>>4247004
Fetch the vapors, I feel I may faint!
>>
>>4252756
Any horror games with a feel as special as Hellnight?
>>
File: EN2 Guest Room.jpg (235KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
EN2 Guest Room.jpg
235KB, 960x720px
>>4252627
That's awesome. What ending did you achieve? What death was your favorite? Are you interested in playing the sequel on the Playstation?
I'm very happy for you and I'm very glad you enjoyed that.
No, I didn't draw that but I admire it.

>>4252783
Kicking. Echo Night 2's level of threat/stress/horror is ramped up beyond EN1's and I, too, found some of the sadness in EN2 almost too much to bear. I found myself really wanting to help the ghosts as opposed to just wanting to help them to progress. My first time through I missed a couple, though. I played through again to be certain to save everyone. It's a great game with a memorable story and cast. And the graphics are absolutely lovely. Thank goodness for the translation team.
>>
>>4255351

Got ending S, actually! It took me a bit to figure out how to open the inventory and use items, and in the proper order. Made the bugs the the meat locker a bit of a paid.

I actually only died once, but running from Scissor Man was tense, because I couldn't find too many hiding spots, just under the bed, and behind a wall (in the room with the insecticide, if I remember correctly).

At one spot, I thought I was boned, but I somehow lifted a plank and made Scissor Man fall in a hole in the floor, lol.

I'm also expecting Clock Tower (PS1), 2 and 3 on the mail tomorrow. Someone on Facebook marketplace who is local was selling them, and shipped them today, so that should be fun. Luckily, I'm off from work tomorrow.

I'm really surprised the SNES/Super Famicom isn't often in general top10 lists. I though it was REALLY good, and quite impressive.
>>
>>4255323
I didn't like The Note either. You could try that.
>>
>>4256056
I love The Note. if you like first person survival horror games on PS1 you'll like it.

it also as McCulloch (Chris in RE1, Richter in SOTN, etc) voicing the protagonist. Classic.

There was that one "puzzle" involving the use of a rope on a precise spot I had to look up though... that was nasty.

I also played through ...Iru!, sadly it's Jap only and there is a no translation but I enjoyed it a lot. It's like a mix between clock tower and echo night. A friend of mine translated some of the dialogue as seperate files.
>>
>>4256067
>sadly it's Jap only
There is a PAL version.
>>
>>4255323
none that I know of
>>
>>4256109
I mean ...Iru!
>>
File: IMG_1410.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1410.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
Aaaand, mail call
>>
>>4256487
haunting ground would've been a better investment than CT 2 and 3
hell, NightCry would've been a better investment
>>
File: ThisShitAintScary.jpg (28KB, 573x454px) Image search: [Google]
ThisShitAintScary.jpg
28KB, 573x454px
>>4256487
>CT3

Oh boy here we go.

I genuinely can't tell if that game turned into "comedy" on purpose or not.

Sometimes I think Capcom bought the franchise only to kill it so they wouldn't have anything against THEIR horror franchises.
>>
File: IMG_1412.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1412.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
>>4256507

Already own it though
>>
>>4256647
Clock Tower Ghost Head was already a comedy desu
>>
File: night_cry_screen_kickstarter_01.png (222KB, 700x454px) Image search: [Google]
night_cry_screen_kickstarter_01.png
222KB, 700x454px
>>4256669
good
>>
>>4256669
I'm glad I was able to get a couple of c-notes for my Rule of Rose. Game was absolute dog shit.
>>
>>4256669
>>4256825

>tfw I sold my Rule of Rose for 180 bucks after paying 20 for it
I loved it and I miss it to this day,
but times were fucking hard.
>>
File: tumblr_nhd8d09ALb1s0ia04o1_500.jpg (27KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhd8d09ALb1s0ia04o1_500.jpg
27KB, 500x281px
>>4256829
It was a birthday gift, and my friend doesn't know that I sold it.
>>
>>4247051
>the box for this came with a rubber centipede inside to spook anybody who bought it
that's pretty great.
>>
>>4256487
>Agetec
My boner is ready
>>
>>4255323
deSPIRIA for the Dreamcast, only in japanese but from the creators of Hellnight.
>>
File: 13.jpg (22KB, 787x347px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
22KB, 787x347px
>>4256647
>Sometimes I think Capcom bought the franchise only to kill it
Haunting Ground is a great game. I don't know why it's not called CT4.

>>4256669
I was offered a copy of Rule of Rose for €40-50 when it was released, didn't know what it was so I passed on it.
In 2015 I saw a copy for €100 and thought it was too expensive.
Mfw the game now goes for more than €150.
>>
>>4249596
there's a game on the 3ds called the creeping terror that might be worth looking into.
it looks similar, jp only right now, but it's getting released over here.
>>
>>4257293
I'm aware of it, but of course do not read moon. I'll give The Note a look though. Haven't played Echo Night yet either
>>
File: thinkign of nam.png (60KB, 300x248px) Image search: [Google]
thinkign of nam.png
60KB, 300x248px
>>4256487
>nam-1975
my man
>>
>>4254189
>sixth gen
>good horror
Literally just SIREN and Silent Hill. You could say Fatal Frame, but the fact that it's about Japanese high school girls makes it not scary. RECv isn't scary, I'd say it's tense at most, same for REmake and 0. The side RE games on PS2 were more fun than scary (Especially Heroes Never Die) and RE4 was shit and killed the series
Also, SH1, the PS1 game, was the best in the series
>>
>>4255432
Damn! S ending on first go with only one death. You were made to play Clock Tower!
Congrats on securing the rest of the series, definitely interested in what you think of them. The Struggle With In and CT3 are definitely different, but playable.
IDK if you're into horror movies, but if you liked Clock Tower, I'd highly recommend seeing "Phenomena," the Dario Argento film that greatly inspired Clock Tower. (Don't see "Creepers," the water down US released of "Phenomena").

>>4256487
:D
>>4256067
I hope there will be a fantranslation of ...Iru! in my lifetime. This give me hope:

http://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/
>>
>>4258969

Fatal Frame II is a fucking scary game.
>>
Another fun Jap only PS1 survival horror game is Devilman. The first part of the game is survival horror and you have to run away from enemies, then it turns into a beat'em up. This one doesn't require Jap knowledge to play.

>>4259126
>I hope there will be a fantranslation of ...Iru!

The (incomplete) paper translation of my friend isn't online anymore. I've tried to contact him to know if he still had it.... But it's been 7-8 years! So it's doubtful.

I've gotten into romhacking so maybe I'd be able to do something. I don't speak japanese.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.