[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't enjoy RPGs that are pure dungeon crawlers. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Ultima_VII_Black_Gate_box.jpg (10KB, 272x386px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_VII_Black_Gate_box.jpg
10KB, 272x386px
I don't enjoy RPGs that are pure dungeon crawlers. I've always been more interested in RPGs that involve actual role-playng, and that type of RPG seemed to really kick off with Fallout, BG, and PS:T.

Given that these are my preferences, are the Ultima games worth playing and which ones should I play?
>>
Do Elder Scrolls, Ultima will bore you.
>>
Kinda agree with >>4245726
Ulitima is less about roleplaying as you're defining it, and more about puzzle sovling, deciphering cryptic hints, drawing your own maps, etc....
>>
The early Ultima games place you in first-person dungeons. It's only the overworlds and towns that are explored in a top-down perspective. So they still feel like dungeon crawlers. Later games integrate the dungeons onto one ubiquitous game world map, so those are more like Tibia I guess.

The Ultima games don't have very good writing. I can't say I've ever cared much for the whole "collect all virtues" story arc that pervades the series. So from a role-playing perspective, you may find the series to be pretty lackluster.

For a less common suggestion: I'll go out on a limb and say King's Quest: Mask of Eternity. It's technically not a role-playing game, but it's probably a lot more immersive than your run-of-the-mill CRPG.
>>
You don't get alternate solutions or the like in Ultima. You are forced to play as a dogooder to get anywhere.
They are important games but if you want something where you shape the world then Ultima is the opposite where the world shapes you.
Maybe consider Wasteland instead.
>>
File: Comfy_Quest.gif (15KB, 381x385px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy_Quest.gif
15KB, 381x385px
>>4245726
>I don't enjoy RPGs that are pure dungeon crawlers
>Do Elder Scrolls
There is not reason to play TES if you are not dungeon crawiling.

>>4245714
Ultima V is actually a game about investigation. You talk to a lot of people and get information on what to do next, but you have to take into consideration day/night, schedules, random encounters, and exploration because certain areas cannot be reached by foot.
>>
>>4245714
Ultima VII is probably the one you'd enjoy most just because of the INSANE amount of shit to do and interact with.
>>
>>4246296
I'm not sure everybody considers stacking crates fun.
>>
File: latest[3].jpg (84KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
latest[3].jpg
84KB, 640x400px
>>4246298
That's because you don't have the balls to be a pirate.
>>
>>4246307
My main experience with vehicles in U7 is that I can't start because someone in my party can't find his seat.
And the damn wagon getting stuck.
You can't even fire cannons like in the previous games.
>>
File: 1503785076147.jpg (23KB, 485x491px) Image search: [Google]
1503785076147.jpg
23KB, 485x491px
>>4245758
Damn I still play Tibia after all those years. It's so sad that it's going to shit.
>>
>>4246307
Ahoy matey
>>
>>4245714
so is "actual role-playing" a codeword for "no gameplay"?
you know, like picking dialogue options and shit
>>
>>4246375
Dialogs in Ultima are handled via keywords for 4-8.
Underworlds and 9 use multiple choice.
>>
>>4245714
If you want a storyfag game and you can only play one Ultima title, play 7. 4, 5, 6 are pretty good storyfag experiences too, though the storytelling is more implicit.

For other classic pre-BG RPGs that are heavy on actual choices/environments, try Darklands (though it's more of an eternal sandbox with amazing worldbuilding) and Betrayal at Krondor, which is one of the best examples of a fantasy novel turned into a game. It even has the whole aesthetic with turning pages, parchments with words on them and saves called "bookmarks". And it's gorgeous!
>>
>>4246438
Playing 5, 6 or 7 without 4 is stupid. You're missing out on half the fun. 4 is also shorter than the sequels if time is an issue.
The two World of Ultima games offer a look into Ultima gameplay without being tied to Britannia or the virtues.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.