[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to play this for the first time. Should I go in blind and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: legend-of-mana-usa.jpg (111KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
legend-of-mana-usa.jpg
111KB, 600x588px
About to play this for the first time. Should I go in blind and risk building the world badly?
>>
I stopped enjoying the game as much when I started using guides on how to properly craft a monster/ weapons/ etc.

I would say play it blind, then play it with more help again years later

Legend of mana is such a beautiful and peaceful game
>>
>>4245260
Yes. It's best played blind first. There's replayability to it so if you like it gives a good reason to use guides second time around.
>>
>>4245260
The world building only comes into crafting and monster ranching, which really are just cool things you can do for fun, and you can play the entire game without ever going into the workshop.

Legend of Mana is a very special game, and playing it blind drives home that uniqueness. It has a strange, dreamlike feeling that permeates every beautifully-drawn screen, and all the characters are lovable and very "timeless" in their personas. Plus, a lot of side-stories are really heavy with the feelz. Coupled with some interesting and customizable combat, it's a really enjoyable game to play.
>>
>>4245260
Play it blind. Personally I play every game that way, using a guide just takes the fun out of it for me.
>>
There are 2 missable quests if you don't build the world in a certain way, but they are entirely optional and not much of a big deal. I'd suggest going for them on a new game plus.
>>
Also even with level scaling the further away you are from home it barely matters since the game is so easy.
>>
It's really easy. The only issue that may be worth looking things up over is that sometimes having a quest in progress will prevent you from triggering certain other quests and it can be really unclear when that's happening and can prevent you from progressing until it's resolved.
>>
>play the game like 3 times now over the years
>every single time I get to that TOWER with 404940 floors I give up.

IT NEVER ENDS, I NEVER FIGURE OUT HOW TO BEAT IT.
>>
>>4245260
dub dub
>>
>>4245451
Duba Bubu?
>>
File: RETCHING RN.jpg (58KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
RETCHING RN.jpg
58KB, 666x666px
>>4245260
>>4245267
>>4245308
>>4245421
>>4245440
>Using guides.
>Ever.

>>4245416
I respect you.
>>
>>4245454
gak
>>
>>4245462
I agree with this, this game does not need a guide at all.
>>
>>4245478
Guides are good to see what part of the game you missed. This is specially good when you can't dedicate all the time of your life on it.

I usually play blind until I either reach the end stage or beat and then read the walkthrough to see what I've missed.
>>
>>4245478
No game worth playing requires a guide.
>>
>>4245503
You should feel the joy of discovering something new ten years later. It's fucking fantastic.
>>
>>4245504
Zelda 1 is not worth playing. Hmm.
>>
>>4245508
The Legend of Zelda doesn't require a guide. Stop believing faggy e-celeb memes.
>>
>>4245512
Dude, how the fuck am I supposed to figure out the level 7 entrance
>>
>>4245514
NPCs, you dolt.
>>
>>4245515
Which one of them tell you to play a flute in front of a pond?
>>
Like everyone else has said, you shouldn't use a guide on your first playthrough. I hope you enjoy the game OP, it's my absolute favorite and every day I die a little more inside knowing that I'll never play anything like it again.
>>
File: no_fairies_comp.png (11KB, 513x240px) Image search: [Google]
no_fairies_comp.png
11KB, 513x240px
>>4245519
This old man tells you the hint. It's more explicit in the Japanese version though.

"The Japanese version is more like, “There’s a secret in the pond without a fairy.” or “There’s a secret in the pond where a fairy doesn’t live.” "
- http://legendsoflocalization.com/the-legend-of-zelda/first-quest/
>>
>>4245514
>>4245508
>beat Zelda 1 when I was 4 years old
>no guide, no friends, no help from parents, just blindly playing over the course of a few weeks
>/vr/ claims it's an impossible game
>>
>>4245260
Blind play for the first run. "Building the world badly" doesn't have much of an effect outside of losing out on some crafting/monster stuff, which is unnecessary in the first place.

Don't risk spoilers with guides. Just use what you find and have a good time.
>>
>>4245950
Me too, I first emulated it on a free game CD I got on a magazine. Still got stuck at the end until many years later, though.
>>
>>4245519
>being told exactly what to do
>figuring out
>>
>>4245260
Not the OP, but is the PSP remake the way to go for this? I fucking loved Seiken Densetsu 3 and this apparently came after that, so I'm interested
>>
>>4245984
Oh nevermind, there isn't one. Just saw "Playstation Portable" while searching on google and assumed it had a remake
>>
>>4245478
>>4245462

The crafting system is very convoluted and there are some unintuitive results if land placement. Getting everything out of the game by discovering it on your own would take huge amounts of trial and error and many playthroughs.

If someone just wants to see all the content and story bits a guide will save many dozens of hours.

>>4245504
This is comical to me
>>
>>4245928
Thanks, the Mana series is special to me; SoM was my first RPG ever, and SD3 made me discover emulation, and it absolutely lived up to my lofty expectations. I put off playing Legend when I heard it was different, but I've heard enough good things to want to try it
>>
>>4245260
Go blind and don't worry about building the world badly, at worst you are going to miss 2 or 3 quests. To add to this LoM is a game with a high replay value and features a new game+ mode so you will have a second change at doing the things you couldn't do the first time anyway.
>>
>>4245935
If that's too tough for anon, the fold-out map that came with the game also specifically says "The mysterious sealed entrance to the level 7 labyrinth is in the brown, dead forest. Go to the farthest west fountain and do something special.", which is even MORE explicit than the Japanese hint.
>>
i guess the two handed sword will be most like the Mana Sword?
>>
>>4245260
>risk building the world badly?
How? Game is pretty easy the first time around, only when you beat it and unlock bullshit difficulty in NG+ your layout becomes a factor.
>>
>>4245506
Thats a good point, I'll consider it next time.
>>
>>4245260
It kind of takes all the fun away to do it 100% perfect the first time. Just put things where you want and have fun exploring. You can do a perfect run later on if you want, not that you really get much for it other than your own satisfaction.
>>
>>4245950
>beat Zelda 1 when I was 4 years old

Like fuck you did
>>
>>4246490
>bullshit difficulty in NG+

Too bad they fucked it up and it's barely any harder. What's the point of a crafting system as deep as they have when there's nothing to even use powerful weapons on? I made a flail that wasn't even maxed and it annihilated everything in Nightmare Mode. Even the fucking end boss died in two hits. Two hits!
>>
>>4247036
>>4246490
there might be a fan patch that makes it harder
>>
>>4247208
It doesn't really help, that patch removes half your skills and does nothing about the brain dead enemy AI.
>>
>>4247225
Perhaps the enemy is so shit because the dev's gave AI low stamina (or mana) and they cant do any moves.
>>
>>4247234
Also it doesn't help that in combat you're locked only facing left or right which never felt right.

Such a shame about this game. Story, setting, graphics, music is all 10/10 amazing. The actual game mechanics and design are like 5/10 though. So disappointing.
>>
>>4245508
>Unironically being this autistic
>>
I'm now 1-2 hours in and I'm enjoying it, I've done a few quests and am just plonking locations down in the first available spot. It looks great. I chose the two handed sword.

I'd have to say so far though that it's not grabbing me by the balls the way SoM and SD3 did. It feels odd that you can't attack up, and I don't see any real plot yet. I'll stick at it though I think.
>>
>>4249329
>and I don't see any real plot yet

There isn't a central plot to follow, it's mostly a series of separate stories that are loosely connected. It's more stream-of-consciousness than linear.
>>
>>4249346
This.

Just relax and enjoy the amazing art music and settings. JUST LET IT HAPPEN
>>
>>4249329
It doesn't have a plot like typical jrpgs, it's more like a collection of short stories. Some are quite charming just relax and enjoy.
>>
File: Friends of Mana2.jpg (118KB, 515x314px) Image search: [Google]
Friends of Mana2.jpg
118KB, 515x314px
>>4245449
>tfw I have played LoM so much since it was originally released that I can still pick up the game cold and navigate through that tower
useless skill ahoy
>>
>>4249694
What is this?
There is another game set in Legend of Mana's world?
>>
>>4250048
It's a mobile game anon.
>>
File: 1160012585527.jpg (52KB, 320x460px) Image search: [Google]
1160012585527.jpg
52KB, 320x460px
>>4246490
You can lose some special pets (succubus and archer rat) if you build badly. Nothing game-breaking, though.
>>
File: home1.jpg (30KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
home1.jpg
30KB, 239x239px
>>4250048
There was an online game called Friends of Mana released in 2006.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.