[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this game so fucking long and convoluted and continuously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6

File: FF6.jpg (741KB, 2000x1404px) Image search: [Google]
FF6.jpg
741KB, 2000x1404px
Why is this game so fucking long and convoluted and continuously unfolding?
Just when I think I'm approaching the end of the game, some new thing or plot twist happens. When does it end?
>>
>>4232657

You just discovered yet another reason why JRPGs are terrible. Congrats.
>>
>>4232657
>When does it end?
Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

But seriously, I liked that aspect. A small-scale version is like a link to the past: You get the 3 pendants and beat agahnim, but then you find out oh wait you're only like 20% done with the game
>>
>>4232657
>couldnt play FF6 back then
>Wii VC comes around, decide to play it that way
>having some fun with the game, altough the plot start to bore me a little
>ffw post apocalyptic world, everyone back together
>decides to kill all dragons before heading to kill kefka, and finishing the game once and for all
>only 3 dragons left, go for the holuy dragon in the cultists tower
>last save 10 minutes before, make a save state anyway cause I have to go out
>come back at night to finish this thing, power up the Wii, launch the game
>No save state, no save file. Had to start over the whole game
And that was the last time I played this game, Im not ever going to touch it again.
>>
>>4232709
I don't blame you. At that point, just watch a let's play to see the end.
>>
>>4232657
Why are you so fuckin stupid?
>>
Stop being a fucking pleb. The story is great.
>>
>>4233658
Chill out. Its just steampunk Star Wars.
>>
File: 1483163489790.png (116KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1483163489790.png
116KB, 480x336px
> cool to hate FF8
> cool to hate FF7
> cool to hate FF6

I'M NOTICING A PATTERN /VR/. CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT HIPSTER TREND.
>>
>>4233714

The best things about FF6 are the story, characters, graphics, music, most everything honestly. But it's impossible to really take it in because every three steps is a ridiculously standard and boringly easy turn based fight
>>
Never realized there was so much hate for FF6. Is it because it was the last of the sprite based FF games, or was it the tech level? Will the hate eventually reach all the way to FF1?
>>
>>4233795
It had my favorite main character Locke the thief.
>>
>>4232657
>complains about games being rich in story and content

faggots like you piss me off.
>>
>>4233795
There really isn't, it's just people on /vr/ are reacting to FFVII finally being embraced as a great title so something else has to be hated on.

VII is easily my favorite, but come the fuck on, VI is great also
>>
File: treasure-hunter.png (33KB, 168x172px) Image search: [Google]
treasure-hunter.png
33KB, 168x172px
>>4233815
>thief
>>
>>4233714
You are aware of the current hipster trend of praising FFII and hating FFIV, right?
>>
>>4234493
>FFII
>FFIV
I'm confused af
>>
>>4234493
pretty sure the hipster trend is praising V because of muh jerb system and hating IV because of no jerb system

with FFII it's more about not mindlessly hating but still acknowleding its flaws
>>
>>4234504
FFII as in the actual 2, the one we didn't get until 2003 as part of Final Fantasy Origins for the Playstation.

FFIV as in the one that was released as FFII back the day but was really IV all along.
>>
>>4232657
Just started this game after finishing VIII for the first time (i loved it), this is the last final fantasy i have left to play.
>>
>>4233795
I don't like VI because the gameplay is really, really, really bad.
>>
uh, final fantasy mystic quest is clearly the best ff game. only a fag would say otherwise.
>>
>>4234513
praising V is a hipster trend? the first FF i played was V (the fan translated rom on emulator, sue me) and i really enjoyed the job system and the customization it allowed. couldnt really enjoy any FF as much as V after that, due to missing job system. FFV is still the only FF ive played through more than once (like 10 times tbqh)
>>
>>4232691
Except the manual to Link to the Past specifically tells you that you must find the 3 pendants in the light world and the seven crystals in the dark world.

The manual for Final Fantasy VI also has a map of the World of Ruin. If people actually read manuals for old games like they were supposed to, they wouldn't keep thinking "I guess the game is nearly done".
>>
>>4234513
FF5 always get a bump every year when stream cucks get into Four Job Fiesta and its ties to social media.
The recent FF2 spike is just contrarianism from b8ers and snowflakes.
>>
>>4234932
I shill 2 around here a lot, it's my favorite in the series aside from ix. The general consensus on it is so negative that it's usually seen as trolling though.
>>
>>4232691
I love when that happens with games. Okami you get like 40 hours in and feels like you're fighting the final boss. Then it turns out you're only 1/3 of the way through. Amazing feeling.
>>
>>4234493
So, peopele are finally praising games with good systems and story and hating on games with bad story and no system whatsoever? Good, good.
>>
>>4235015
even the most dedicated kawazu fanboy would hesitate to call FFII's system good
ambitious? has potential? sure
good? maybe if they fixed all its flaws

FFIV's ATB system on the other hand was so well received it went on to be used in the next five FFs, other square games and even games not made by square
the plot in II is okay, especially for the NES, but IV has better pacing and characters
>>
>>4235037
I call it good I'm not the only person around here either. It wasn't perfect, but definitely good.

I also think 4 might be the worst game in the series (up to 10) so it could be people are agreeing with or parroting me now too.
>>
Makes me glad that IX is my favourite FF. People have been hating that since day one, so it doesn't bother me.
>>
>>4232657

You never played a final fantasy before? All of them is pretty much like that

The second you think you are done with the game, it's pulls a twist, and a twistand another twist and more

If you force yourself to play without enjoying the story and you got adhd, those games may not be for you
>>
Why do people who don't like JRPGs force themselves to play them? Just so they can know what other people are talking about? And make whiny threads about how "um, ACKSHUALLY they're not good," or what?
>>
>>4234946
My bro. It had the best story/characters ratio. Nothing to flashy but still on the jrpg zone.
>>
File: stop-hitting-yourself[1].gif (122KB, 650x505px) Image search: [Google]
stop-hitting-yourself[1].gif
122KB, 650x505px
>>4235037
>>
>>4234946
I'm glad you do. I played FF2 again with an open mind after seeing all the posts about it around here, and ended up really enjoying it.
>>
>>4235151
It certainly has some issues, but I love it. Even with them It's far more interesting as a game to me than IV ever was.
>>
>>4235160
I really think knowing about how easy it is to exploit by targeting your own party really hurts it. Especially when combined with the myth that it's super difficult.

I fell into the trap my first playthtough. Attacked my dudes, got crazy powerful in no time and stumbled upon Mysidia, bought all kinds of crazy stuff for my party and then steamrolled everything. I thought it was great for a while then everything was boring.

A few years later I picked it up again and did a normal play through and was shocked how good it was when not cheating. Played it twice more after that I loved it so much.
>>
>>4234952
desu i fucking hated that about okami. i think it's because okami was one of the first games i tackled on my backlog and the fact that it just never seemed to end stressed me the fuck out.

i guess it really depends on how much you are enjoying a game. when it delivers more and more content just as it seems like it's about to end i can imagine the feeling is immensely pleasurable
>>
It's called depth, retard. JRPGs are like that for a reason, they're for smart people. Get a PSP for your JRPG needs, its much more comfortable.
>>
>>4234952
>>4232691
This. That's maybe the reaso why i love DQVI. Japanese games seems to do this a lot of times (invert castles).
If i'm enjoying the game, i'd feel great to see i'm going to experience more content than at first i thought i would.
>>
>>4235150
maybe they never tried one before but they're willing to go outside their comfort zone just to see what all the fuss is about
I tried out doom after seeing all the endless generals here, but it quickly bored me like any other fps, I just didn't make a thread about it
>>
>>4232657
I wish I could find another game that pulled a similar bait and switch. On my own. Playing a game off of a list of "games that pretend to end but don't" just won't be the same.

>>4234946
II is one of my favorites. I used to hate anything that didn't fit into my cookie cutter definition of a JRPG and FFII and XII fell under that. Years after branching out from FF and more traditional JRPGs, I tried II and XII again and now they're two of my favorites.
>>
>>4235175
I figured out that exploit the first time I played the game without even meaning to, and it really did fuck with the experience. I don't think I even played far enough to stop the Dreadnaught. When I went back and just played through normally, it went just fine. I won't try to pretend the game was perfect, but it was definitely way better than expected.
>>
I find FFVI the Baccano of games

several stories of various protagonists
>>
>>4233815
TREASURE
HUNTER
>>
>>4233726
>But it's impossible to really take it in because every three steps is a ridiculously standard and boringly easy turn based fight

Is there any way to make the battles in FFVI harder and thus more enjoyable without ROMhacking?

What if you don't upgrade your character's weapons?

What if you don't use espers either for spell learning or stat boosts?

Will this be enough to make each fight tactical and tense?
>>
>>4235336
This is a very good comparison
>>
>>4235531
It might, along with setting it to the highest battle speed in active mode of course
try not upgrading your armor as well
>>
>muh random battles
They're not meant to be strategic, they're meant to make you consume resources on the way to the boss fight. If you have too many resources for the game to wear you down, then you've spent too much time grinding and should take the game at a faster pace.
>>
>>4235531
>Is there any way to make the battles in FFVI harder and thus more enjoyable without ROMhacking?
Do a low-level run of FFVI. I did this a while ago and had much more fun with the game than I have had in years.
>>
>>4235531
>What if you don't upgrade your character's weapons?
Nope. The only game that this works well in from experience is Grandia II.

>>4235531
>What if you don't use espers either for spell learning or stat boosts?
Natural magic runs might as well be no magic runs with the little spells Terra and Celes learn and how infrequently they learn them as well. Spells also only get upgraded at really odd levels. Terra only learns Cura in her 30s.

How about only making Terra, Celes, Relm and Strago learn magic through Espers? Though you'll need to do a lot of micromanagement to avoid them getting the stat boosts that the creators won't be getting (unless you let everyone equip espers but just not use magic).
>>
>>4234921
I prefer when games are self-contained.
>>
>>4235127
9 is my fav also but in my experience it's not necessarily that people hate it but forget that it exists. It wasn't until recently I've ever even heard anybody acknowledge it. FF9 is in the ranks of FF games that got lost in time. Like a non mainline FF game or something.
>>
lmao

it's a 20-30 hour game. it's not long.

just fucking play it, you nerd
>>
>>4235593

There's something to be said for games that require the player understand some things before they play, though.

I don't think Final Fantasy is a series with any of those games, though.
>>
>>4235150
Because one would figure since people never shut up about a game then there must be something to it. But then upon playing the game the person doesn't see what all the hub bub is about.

For me that was the Mass Effect and Assassins Creed games. I gave those games a try and hated them almost immediately and don't understand why people like them. It's a mystery to me. But at least I can say I gave the games a chance. So when I trash talk those games it's actually out of experience from playing them.
>>
>>4234952
>taking 40 just to beat Okami
sad.
My game time was 34 hours and I did all the side quests and got all the stray beads. What were you doing all that time???
>>
>>4235617

If you're talking about AC1, nobody likes that game.
>>
>>4235560
Random battles are just to make the game longer to trick you into thinking you're getting more game for your money but in reality it's just padding.
>>
>>4235625
Enjoying the game
>>
>>4232667
JRPG designers make up for their lack up creativity by shoehorning random plot points/devices into the story without any concern for coherence, subtlety, or believability.
>>
>>4235569
I actually did an LLG at one point. Didn't really improve my enjoyment of the game at all because now it was about abusing retarded bullshit to win.
>>
>>4235560
The problem is that FFVI doesn't actually do that because it just keeps giving you broken shit like Tools and Blitz and Rage that wipe out whole encounters without you having to lift a finger or spend anything. This is without addressing how easy it is to heal to full with basic Cure spells.
>>
>>4235646
and today they just create open fields of nothingness where 90% of the "gameplay" is walking
somehow, FFXII managed to be the most boring game in the franchise and it didn't have random battles (to be fair I haven't played anything after that, or the MMOs)
>>
>>4235646
This.

>>4235560

The advertisement posters literally describe how the long the game is in hours. Even if you don't skip any battles or grind until you're powerful enough to beat the boss, the game length is well below the advertised play time.
>>
>>4235653
Yeah, okay, but doing what though? Were you just walking around in circles or something?
>>
>>4232709
My patience for FF games is thin.
III kicked my ass when I played the DS version years ago.
Then I attempted VI recently but had to quit. Got to the Gigantos boss near the halfway point but kept getting my ass handed to me. Never did the Rage shit with Gau caused I didn't like the character. But I guess Is should have. Also never leveled up characters high enough that also used Clear. at that point I said fuck it and switched to Chrono Trigger. Fucking love that one.
>>
>>4232657
Go fuck yourself 90s kid go to /v/
>>
How to spot a hipster contrarian FF fan:
1.) They bash VII and praise VI within the same post.
2.) They say their two favorite FF games are V and IX (note: if one of those are their favorite then it's okay, but if they're their top two there probably is some contrarianism.)
3.) People on this board who are bashing VI because bashing VII has gotten old here
>>
>>4236137
>My patience for FF games is thin
Then you were never a fan to begin with fuck off and GET OUT!
>>
>>4236267
Fact: the only retro FF games you are allowed to hate are II and VIII.

In VIII's case, it doesn't do anything particularly overwhelming for the time it was released and it doesn't do anything that any game before and after its release doesn't do better.

II is expected because it's an experimental game that's very different from its prequel and its gameplay gets ported to another series entirely and is never heard of again in the franchise.

Every other game, even if not the best game of all time either introduced something huge at the time or their pros outweigh their cons.

There is no inherently bad retro Final Fantasy.
>>
>>4236990
8 is the fucking best
>>
>>4236137
How the fuck did ff3 ds kick your ass? That game is easy.
>>
>>4236993
No. VIII isn't even a bad FF game. It's just a bad game. The biggest problem is just how aimless the plot feels for almost the entirety of the game. From the final exam, to the TV station to Timber's liberation fight to the assassination attempt to the flying school to the Fisherman's Horizon and then suddenly LOVE and the infamous amnesia reveal. It's really hard to not feel like you're just meandering through someone's attempt at writing a plot on the spot within a lifeless, cardboard world. The plot never picks up steam and feels like a checklist you're following. The Laguna flashbacks sprinkled throughout the game further dampen that.

The supporting cast really has no bearing on the story other than that last minute flop of a twist. They all feel like there were written as "archetype first, then integrate into the story" and a perfect example of that is Irvine.

"How about a gunuser with a cowboy hat who likes to flirt."

And that's all Irvine ever is for the whole game. Concepts that are more of a presence than characters. The same can be said of Squall and Rinoa's "love story", it's never given the attention it deserves to warrant its existence.

Ultimecia is also just there, with her goal in mind being so abstract and macro that I'm sure people who even enjoy the game didn't care whether or not she achieves it. You just know you're supposed to stop her and care because the game tells you to.

The gameplay I actually like.
>>
>>4235625
I don't actually remember the hours, I pulled that number out my ass. It was the sentiment that it feels like the game was about to end and then you realize there's so much more to it.
>>
>>4237058
>No. VIII isn't even a bad FF game. It's just a bad game. The biggest problem is just how aimless the plot feels for almost the entirety of the game. From the final exam, to the TV station to Timber's liberation fight to the assassination attempt to the flying school to the Fisherman's Horizon and then suddenly LOVE and the infamous amnesia reveal. It's really hard to not feel like you're just meandering through someone's attempt at writing a plot on the spot within a lifeless, cardboard world. The plot never picks up steam and feels like a checklist you're following. The Laguna flashbacks sprinkled throughout the game further dampen that.

I think you forgot to connect the dots, and that's exactly what makes FF8's story so good, there is plenty of story, lore, foreshadowing, etc but you have to connect the dots yourself.
It doesn't treat players like retards and doesn't expect they need to be outright told the connection between A and B because it thinks showing it one way or another is enough.
>>
>>4236990
VIII does a lot that the rest of the series hasn't though. Like making the side optional content so interwoven into the main game.
Triple trade isn't just a distraction, it's got side quests attached to it, it's got dozens and dozens of cards to collect, it's tied to combat, skill learning, junctioning stats, upgrading weapons and more.

FFVIII also gives you complete control over not o ly who has what skills, but total stat growth too.
And you can potentially play the game however you want and try a ton of challenge runs too

The only real problems the gameplay has is that noons are too stupid to figure out the sheer depth and options the game offers, so they have a bad experience. Or they look up a perfect game guide and do amazing and think it's too easy.

Plot complaints are subjective, but to say that FFVIII did noting new and was done better by others just proves what a retarded fanboi you are.

It's almost a totally unique game to this day. You have to give it that you stupid fuck.
>>
>>4237058
Bad story equals a bad game to you?
Son, you have the homosex...
>>
>>4232657
Yeah, FFVI is kind of a hot mess.

Personally,I found it fun at first, until I realized that no screen clearing special attacks had any mp cost, so the game has no challenge or strategy at all.

That,and the constant running from crisis
to crisis all the time made the plot feel like a Michael bay movie or something after a while.

I won't say FFVI is my least favorite FF, but it's way down the list. Below FFII and FFV, but still above III and XI at least...
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.