[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People on /vr/ actually play video games unlike the underage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13

File: 1273230112498.png (28KB, 322x282px) Image search: [Google]
1273230112498.png
28KB, 322x282px
People on /vr/ actually play video games unlike the underage meme spouting faggots at /v/, right? Seriously why not attempt to beat one of those old games you never could despite trying this weekend?

Let's fucking do this and use this thread as a place to discuss our attempts and to give each other tips and encouragement.

Anyway I don't know about you guys but I am going to boot up Ultima Exodus on my NES and at finally attempt beating it.
>>
>>4230268
Nice thread concept, I recently immigrated from /v/. I booted up my SNES since I finally borrowed a copy of Earthbound, but I need to replace the save battery before I can do anything :( I might just emulate instead...
>>
>>4230284
why? can't i just be getting back into retro games for the first time in years?
>>
>>4230290
emulate as much as you want, and ignore the hardware faggots

t. been emulating since the 90s
>>
File: chowtix.png (148KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
chowtix.png
148KB, 640x480px
With all the Sonic hype around I decided to get around to finally playing this thing. I never owned a 32X and even when emulation of it became possible I didn't really care to play it. The whole "5 acts per zone" thing was a big turnoff.

Playing through it now, I find it's not dragging on as much as I expected it to, but there's not much happening in this game. The acts are just these assortments of platforms and tracks that don't offer any sort of challenge. It's pretty disappointing, fucking around with the tether physics is the only thing keeping me interested.
>>
I don't think I can get through The 7th Saga in only one weekend.
>>
>>4230268
>Implying people on /vr/ play their games instead of spending all day spurglording about them here
>>
File: IMG_3283.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3283.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I just beat Earthworm Jim yesterday for the first time, I count that as a win.

I grew up with it on the SNES but I could never beat it. The farthest I ever got was the second underwater maze and that ruined the game for me. I used cheats to ch close out the later missions but I never felt satisfied about it.

Coming back to present, I've found myself with a copy of the original Genesis version so I decided to push for it and managed to spend a few hours last night finally completing it. Awesome game, glad to finally see the exclusive Genesis stage and clear everything without cheating. Took a bunch of deaths, but wasn't as hard as I remembered. I never lost an asteroids stage and didn't need to use a continue until Buttville where I used two until I realized I could whip those instant-kill worms to kill them. Great time, I'll have to remember to revisit on a harder difficulty level next. Does that just affect the damage enemies do or is there other factors at work with the difficulty change?
>>
>>4230268
I don't feel he urge of finishing games.
>>
>>4230492
>I used cheats to check out the later missions

Fucking fingers, how do they work
>>
Did this a week or two ago with Herc's Adventures. For those that don't know, it's the spiritual sequel to Zombies Ate My Neighbors, only more open-world design than level-based. Pretty much the same engine though. Played it alot with a friend growing up, never really got past my first visit to Athens, if I had the patience to get that far. So I sat down and beat the bastard so I could see everything I missed back then.

I honestly regret spending time on it. Game is one annoyance after another, a shit-ton of grinding for gold an gyros is required throughout the game, and the majority of boss-fights are slow and painful slogs. Minotaur? He only takes 1 damage from every weapon in the game, he also flattens you often slowing the battle down even more. He might even pin you between a wall and spikes, forcing your death no matter how many gyros you brought. Talos? Throw bomb, wait until he bends over, attack until he stands back up, repeat for the next 20 minutes. Ran out of bombs? Wait until he starts throwing bombs, you'll get maybe 10 with every barrage. Hydra? Boy, I sure love having to backtrack all the way across the fucking map to get the ONE item that actually can kill the Hydra! Caldonian Snake? Hope you saved Ray Guns, even rapid firing them you'll still be shooting for quite some time. If you didn't, good luck nailing that last part of the body. Both Cerberus and Hades are massive damage sponges, and take forever to go down. The majority of enemies in the game you'll be seeing for the first two thirds are re-colors/re-sprited versions of enemies you've already seen. Hope you enjoy fighting those solders, you'll be doing it for most of the game.

At least I know how to access the two most hidden areas in the game. Don't know how anyone ever figured out the first one near the start of the game.
>>
>>4230268
>Ultima Exodus

I love this game. It's so non-linear that you can rush through it in 30 - 60 minutes in one setting. Of course, you have to have advance knowledge of where to go and what to do.

If you're adverse to using walkthroughs or online maps, I at least suggest drawing your own maps. The dungeons are going to be too difficult otherwise.
>>
>>4230268
The only game I've tried hard and wanted to beat without success is IVAN and I don't see that happening over the course of a weekend. But might be a good excuse for another try.
>>
>>4230290
Around here it's hard to even know what he thought the "bait" part of your post was. It could be emulating, it could be mentioning battery replacement and it could just be mentioning Earthbound. /vr/ trolling is multifaceted.

I would recommend just emulating, but on some carts replacing the battery will restore old saves which can be fun in it's own right.
>>
>>4230549
Many old RPGs can be broken if you know the details. You can start a new party in Might and Magic 2, and have 1 million gold for the party and 10,000 EXP per character within a minute of starting. 10-20 minutes later, you can have your team ready to do all the major quests. You can break it even faster if you use spells like Etheralize, Fly, Jump, and Lloyds Beacon properly.
>>
Can I beat Fallout 2 while doing an average, exploratory playthrough in one weekend?
>>
>>4230573
Depends on how much exploration you're planning to do. Probably no. Save Often And In Different Slots™ either way.
>>
>>4230606
I usually do all the exploration. I'll make this a multiweekend project.
>>
>>4230302
Ignore the emu fags. They're europoors who can't afford real hardware and want you yo experience the games under the same atrocious conditions as them. Also, play another better game than memebound.
>>
>>4230268
>why not attempt to beat one of those old games you never could
Because there are none
>>
>>4230573
Well, if you have a 3 day weekend the odds go up. I remember I beat it in just a few days the first time, but I was playing it nonstop.

>>4230951
That's stupid
>>
>>4230268
Lots of people on /v/ play games too but I understand you thinking they don't because who the hell wants to dig through all that shit to find one or two decent threads that will likely only last an hour?
>>
>tfw FFV save file was deleted

maybe now I can get that XP bard song
>>
>>4230270
Is it actually, or are you lying about getting it/playing it/liking it?

I'm working on Sonic Spinball, fuck the second stage!
>>
>>4231558
I have indeed gotten it and it is seriously, legitmatly great. Like way more than a game with such a premise has any right to be.
>>
>>4231634
damn, I might have to add it to my list then. Duly noted.

My favorite weekend achievement was beating NES Batman in 36 hours. I actually got to level 5, failed a lot, restarted, and then the next day finally got it after hours on the boss. Great feeling watching the ending sequence.
>>
>>4230367
It's such a shame that a game with such 11/10 music and visuals like this is actually pretty lame. I really hoped Marina Madness would've been in Mania (although Oil Ocean has a nod to it), it would be great to play through these themes as traditionally-designed Sonic zones.
>>
You know that's not a bad idea, I'm going to try and finish Robotrek this weekend. I liked it as a kid but never finished it.
>>
>Final Fantasy Tactics
not sure if doable, and I got house renovating to do
>>
File: DSC00690.jpg (35KB, 1000x468px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00690.jpg
35KB, 1000x468px
Alright motherfuckers, let's do this.

I choose Shadowman 64, Excitebike 64 as backup in case I get stuck, frustrated up to an incurable ragequit or anything unexpected.
Will be reporting back every few hours or so.
Also I just came back from a shopping trip for beer, energy drinks and junkfood, which will hopefully get me through the rest of the weekend.
>>
heres my 'to beat' list

burning force -arc
Oregon Trail
Links Awakening
Survival Kids
Ninja Taro
exile -tg16
ecco the dolphin
Fatal rewind
Nuclear Strike
Kenseiden
Miracle Warriors
cadash-tg16
mega man 5
Ghostbusters 2

maybe i could do OR trail, mm5 and burning force this weekend. thats about what i have time for
>>
>>4231898
How is Shadowman? I know this is retarded but the character design really puts me off. Running around half naked with a fucking mask emblazoned on your chest doesn't seem very badass.
>>
File: DSC00694.jpg (149KB, 1000x1622px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00694.jpg
149KB, 1000x1622px
>>4231952
So far it's pretty great.
A lot of story telling and great voice acting, which is compressed almost to being inaudible, but hey, what can you do with a 32 Megabyte cartridge.
The grafics suffer heavily from the N64s limitations, but again, what can you do.
I have to get used to the controls too, but the mood and seting make very well up for that.
>>
File: DSC00708.jpg (94KB, 1000x728px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00708.jpg
94KB, 1000x728px
It's time for a first break.
About three hours in, I had a few struggles with controls and level design, also no manual, so I'm kinda lost as to what items and stuff do.
I may have to resort to a walkthrough/guide if I can't find the manual online.
Still it's a solid action adventure.
>>
>>4230268
I just got my 360 back so I've been playing that
burned through Silent Hill Homecoming, Ghostbusters, and I'm about to play Prey and Deadly Premonition

After that I'll go back and play some retro from my backlog. Been meaning to get through some stuff on Genesis (Landstalker, Beyond Oasis) , and then when October rolls around probably do a foray into Clocktower and maybe a Resident Evil.
>>
>>4230554
How do you play IVAN? How do you know you+te making progress?
>>
File: DSC00718.jpg (120KB, 1000x721px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00718.jpg
120KB, 1000x721px
>>4232063
>>4231969
>>4231898
Ok, so I found a manual.

The combat sucks, but up until now it didn't really matter because enemies were no thread.
Now we have these big green fuckers with hooks for hands, and they deal a lot of damage.
Which kinda makes this level feel like Sen's Fortress all over again.
>>
>>4230951
Ignore amerifats, who invest their incomes on hardware because its more fun to buy than to actually play and can't accept different opinions.
>>
>>4232146
I'm done for today. Made no progress over the last couple of hours. Maybe I'll return to it tomorrow.
>>
File: cbel.jpg (283KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cbel.jpg
283KB, 1024x768px
>>4230268
No way. I wanted to beat Commandos: Behind enemy lines for years now, got to it recently, opened 3rd, 4th mission or so (which I had passes for from my earlier plays) and began to play. When I said "recently" I meant arround 2 months ago, maybe 3, don't remember correctly. I am currently on mission 11 from I-never-really-checked-how-many-I-guess-20. So as you see I am really slow, but that's just because of my playstyle. Once a day, two or more, I don't stick to any chart, I will open up the game, my latest save and try to do anything, so kill another german/-ans usually (so that no one will notice of course). If I do anything I will save in my oldest saveslot, if not, then I'll just exit the game. And so I am doing that, no way I can beat it in one weekend the way I want to (alarms only at the very end of the mission, full health on everyone), goodluck to all of you though, I hope you'll succed!
>>
>>4230492
EWJ on Difficult is really hard
Play Special Edition (has Windows port, don't play DOS one it sucks) for another additional stage and to hear Doug himself praising you for beating it on hardest difficulty
>>
Alright, I have now done the following:

Made a party consisting a paladin, lark, cleric and mage.
Spend a good while repelling orc and undeading skeletons.
Gained just enough levels for the pirate ships to start appearing.
Got mystic armor and mystic sword for everyone.
Spend shitloads of time grinding for gold and then going to Ambrosia to level up my mage's int stat which is now maxed out.

Am I ready for the dungeons now or should I max out my cleric's wis first?
>>
>>4232360
Dont forget to get torch and enough reagents
>>
File: 1386760567223.jpg (607KB, 1500x1218px) Image search: [Google]
1386760567223.jpg
607KB, 1500x1218px
>>4232339

Such a wonderful series.
>>
>>4230268
Zelda 2. Til this day I haven't beaten it without cheating.
>>
File: cbelheader.jpg (38KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
cbelheader.jpg
38KB, 460x215px
>>4232373
It sure is. As I said, I'm only on mission 11, so probably somewhere near the middle, of the first game, yet I have them all available to play. I'm looking forward to playing next ones with better graphics etc. Setting resolution every time I open the game is... kind of annoying
>>
>>4230302
Where can i get same roms from?
>>
Beaten it before as a kid, but I felt like replaying StarCraft. The missions are a lot less diverse than I recall, and there's very little plot exposition between and during each mission - maybe there is much more in Brood War, can't recall.

It definitely isn't as fun to play as I remembered. Workers have to be built and manually sent to gather non-stop, the control group size of 12 is too low for what you need to do, and the pathfinding is atrocious (esp. for units like Goliaths and Dragoons).

Also started playing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, which technically is a new game to complete, even though I've beaten the original several times. I think everyone here is already familiar with the complaints for that, although it has a couple small nifty additions.
>>
>>4232381
I've recently made it to the gauntlet you have to run to get to the final dungeon, but keep dying to ghosts or lava just before I can reach it. I didn't expect to enjoy it given its quiet reputation, but I had a blast. Except for finding that hidden village, which was complete B.S. and I resorted to looking up a walkthrough for.
>>
File: DSC00734.jpg (76KB, 1000x641px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00734.jpg
76KB, 1000x641px
>>4232243
Ok, so I drank a little beer and made a little progress. Sen's seems to be comparable to most of Shadowman's dungeons, lots of platforming and deadly traps mixed in with a maze like layout.
Actually everything in Shadowman has labyrinthy characktersitics and the level design is overly complex.
Anyways, I'll continue this odeyssey tomorrow.
>>
Slowly getting through Romancing SaGa 3. Don't think I'll beat it in a weekend, though.
>>
>>4232392
nibba u haven't even scratched the surface
you're supposed to play online anyways
>>
>>4232392
Maybe if you're playing the Zerg campaign. Mar Sara, mang. And all that Phoenix shit? Come on. I'll grant you it's much easier because there was plenty of time to git gud at RTS in general so it detracts from feelings of urgency, hopelessness etc. where appropriate, but everything is still there. I've been replaying the original campaign every 5 years or so and it held up every time.

Quality of life is lower than became the norm at the time the genre went into coma, but if you've started from oldies like Dune 2 and Warcraft it's really hard to complain.
>>
>>4232580
In short, never found the multiplayer to be engaging.

>>4232637
Zerg campaign was the worst for control groups, that's for sure, and the plot was fairly minimal there as well. Protoss isn't much better for storyline though. Do you mean "Fenix"?

I just felt like I spent most of my time managing macro and very little being involved with battlefield tactics, since it was easier to throw hordes of units without paying attention to them than having half as many and micro-ing them around. The missions are very easy in that sense, but I recall Brood War being MUCH harder.

I remember the group size of 9 being plenty for what I needed to do in WC2, but maybe if I went back to it I would be surprised. Also, in WC2 (or even C&C) there isn't really any base management to do, whereas in SC you need tons of workers and there are lots of upgrades to manage and check on. In the former games, once you have enough peons in the gold mine or enough harvesters in the tiberium, you're free to oversee the battlefield rather than just optimizing your macro output.
>>
is it worth me getting vietcong and beating it, keeping in mind I have no nostalgic connection to the game of any kind
>>
>>4232659
>Do you mean "Fenix"?
Yeah, forgot the right spelling. First time I've played a translated version and the only the phonetics stuck.

>I just felt like I spent most of my time managing macro and very little being involved with battlefield tactics, since it was easier to throw hordes of units without paying attention to them than having half as many and micro-ing them around.
Muh APM. No, seriously, I was playing exactly like that before I practiced into being faster and more aware of what happens on the minimap. Doesn't mean you have to pointlessly click around, just that you can't keep up yet. Taking long breaks can do this too.

>I remember the group size of 9 being plenty for what I needed to do in WC2, but maybe if I went back to it I would be surprised.
Depends. If it's a bunch of fully upgraded trolls then yeah, more or less. Otherwise you'd have to make sure your tanks are tanking, paladins/ogre mages using their abilities and so on. And the ballistae/catapults could screw you up big time if left on their own.

>eco
Yeah, that's why I'm playing C&C3 almost exclusively now.
But it's not that bad in SC1, you just have to saturate your mineral patches and then can more or less forget about them for about 20 minutes. Then you just have to transfer which is rather easy for Zergs. The only other thing is ordering SCVs to do repairs when needed and not forgetting to put them back to harvesting.
>>
>>4230274
Just started mother 2 last weekend. I just got to fourside and I'm really enjoying it so far, I like the battles and it doesn't seem grindy at all yet even though I've found a few perfect grinding spots. I can definitely see why so many people love this game.
>>
>>4233149
Ur not allowed to like that game
>>
File: OR Trail Rsults.jpg (56KB, 647x426px) Image search: [Google]
OR Trail Rsults.jpg
56KB, 647x426px
OR trail done!
>>
its monday though
>>
>>4231969
i havent played shadowman 64 since it came out but i dont remember being unable to hear the voices. "michael...get your arse over here!"
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.