[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me your memories of playing this classic series for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

File: pokemom.jpg (34KB, 480x345px) Image search: [Google]
pokemom.jpg
34KB, 480x345px
Tell me your memories of playing this classic series for the first time
>>
Pearl was my first game and I loved it
>>
I remember asking my mom to catch Pokemon for me because I had no idea how to do it.
>>
I got Blue for christmas, I think 1998.
A week later there was this HUGE storm in my country, there hasn't been a storm as big since.

So all power was cut, and I was desperately trying to get some moonlight by the window while it was storming outside, while I was trying to figure my out of that cave that requires the "flash" TM.

Eventually I became very autistic about the game. you could tell me a number between 1 and 151, and I could tell you the name, weight, height, name of attack and evolution and sometimes at which level they get them, etc

I must have clocked more than a thousand hours in blue and yellow. I brought the clock to the max, which is 255 hours 55 mins, in Blue, twice, and then once in Yellow, and kept playing anyway. Ended up with all 151 and all storage boxes full, with around 100 different Pokémons at lvl 100, including prior evolution of the same Pokémon.

I played quite a few other sequels but never got into them as I did B/R/Y
>>
My brother and I schemed to get all 3 starters right out the gate. Everyone else was fucking amazed when we came to school the next day with all the starters.

>Start
>Player 1 picks their starter of choice
>Player 2 picks one of the other 2
>Play until you can trade pokemon
>Player 1 catch 4 pidgey's
>Player 2 trades starter to player 1 and starts a new game.
>Repeat with same starter again
>Repeat twice more with other 2 starters
>Player 2 picks the last starter, and progresses through the game, catches 2 pidgey's
>Player 1 trades Player 2 the remaining starters for pidgeys

We were considered gods.It also makes the game really fucking easy.
>>
>Got the game christmas same year as it launched
>Fucking excited
>Call my cousins
>They also got the game
>Cousins lived really nearby so I went there for a couple of hours
>We're all amazed of how cool the game is
>Even more excited that all three of us chose a different starter
>Come back home
>Couldn't sleep all night because so excited for Pokemon

Pokemon was something else in Sweden. I think it was the only time Nintendo released a commercial of their own for a game here.
>>
>>4230060
Helping my youngest kid with Platinum. For some reason 30 year old me didn't have the urge to play gen 1 when it came out.
>>
>>4230091

>he doesn't know how to clone
>>
>Dad gave me a flyer concerning the release of R+B, but I didn't care because I wasn't bothered about Gameboy games at that point
>The cartoon debuted on SM:TV, it was real neat, and I bought the Master Guide from a newsagents to drunk in the artwork and information. Got the desire to get the game, but would have to wait until the following Saturday
>Went out to buy it and it was out of stock at Virgin Megastore, HMV, and both GAME stores in the city, but I managed to get Blue at an Electronics Boutique.
>Got home and saw my neighbour's kids who came around at the weekends, and by chance they'd gotten Red. I played it on my Gameboy Pocket and they played on their Colour, but I had to bring out me and my Sister's old DMG-001s and link cable so we could trade
>On Sunday I took it to my Grandma's house and let my cousin play. I was so used to cartridge games like Sonic 3, SML2, Warioland, etc. offering at least 3 save games, that I let her save before Brock, clicking through Pokemon's warnings without care, which erased all my progress, and I had to start again later
For a few weeks back then I played nothing but Blue, and went through so many batteries, but after getting all 150 I'd had enough and moved on. I dropped the cartoon before series 1 finished, and I wasn't interested in playing GS.
>>
>>4230396
I thought the same as you, until I was bored enough one day to play the rest. And thus I've now played all the other games in my 30s.
>>
>>4230060
Probably my first jrpg. Enjoyed both yellow and gold.
I'd really like to know how to replicate what made this game so good. Maybe it was just the huge yet charismatic array of monsters, or that the system was simple yet varied. It had a lot of things to make you busy (catching pokemons, leveling up and evolving, getting medals, exploring), or maybe that the meat of the game (and rpgs), combats, were fast enough to hook you enough time.

My favourite memory is that, before going to school, i'd used to get a lot of hype from gold/silver commercials. Maybe it was the first time i experienced game hype. It showed the some pokemons and the world map and nothing else, but after 1st gen i knew i would enjoy it.
>>
>>4230060
It was the summer of 1999, before I started a new set of courses at a new university. I kept hearing talk about it but never paid a lot of attention. I had no idea it was an RPG, just thought it was a Gameboy version of a pet simulator like a Tamagotchi.

So I was over at a friend's house waiting for him to get ready and his little brother had one so I watched him play a little. Saw him in a battle, then exploring the over world. I started peppering him with questions and everything he said sounded better and better.

I don't even remember what we were initially going to do that day, but it got ditched in favor of going to EB and buying ourselves some copies of the game.

Then fall came, and it seemed like that had happened to half the people on campus. Gameboys and Pokemon everywhere. I became stupidly obsessed with that game.
>>
>>4230060
NOT ALL BOYS.
I am living proof.
>>
>>4230091
The people in your school must have been retarded not to think of doing that.
>>
>>4230617
desu I dont know a single person who completed the pokedex in 1999 despite all of us having pokemon. No one wanted to trade unless they felt they were getting something better in return. Everybody hated eachother where I grew up and no one wanted another to succeed in anything
>>
Played it on the computer back then, on a weird emulator (can't recall its name).

My party always blanked out at Mt. Moon to that Clefairy level 14 and poison was the black plague as I didnt knew what antidote do.
>>
>receive pokemon vhs in the mail from nintendo power
>watch it
>"wow this looks fucking retarded"
>see friends at school play it and get jealous
>get red and eventually childhood neighbor friend gets blue
>trade and fight for years

10/10
>>
My neighbor had it. He had a blastoise at victory road in blue and thought it was neat. Also remember my other Adrian friend with red sitting on his stoop at least watching it.

Got a gameboy and red for myself eventually, brother eventually got blue. Kids in neighborhood all had it, I had a link cable for da fights.

Met older kid with GameShark and he gave me a mew for my scyther. Pretty bad ass having a completed Pokédex 'legitimate'
>>
File: 9845984.jpg (99KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
9845984.jpg
99KB, 480x360px
>4 or 5
>No idea how to catch pokemon (actually just before the man who teaches you how)
>Go into pokemon center
>Jigglypuff overworld sprite inside
>Walk up next to it
>Go into bag
>Pokeball
>'Toss'
>Nothing happened

Suffice to say, my dad had to teach me.
>>
So many memories. Being in early grade school at the height of Pokemania was rad as hell.

>the right age to enjoy the anime at it's peak
>the right age to enjoy all the fucking toys. so goddamn many of them, and i feel so bad for my parents in retrospect
>game boys and pokemon cards errywhere at recess (until the cards got banned lol)
>"mew under the truck" tier rumours flying around at the playground AND on the internet; the good, pre-normie, MIDIs on every page internet
>the absolute chaos that ensued at my school when we all found out about the missingno glitch
>pre gold/silver hype
>post gold/silver hype when it ended up surpassing all our expectations
>playing outside on a beautiful, breezy spring day
>playing under my bedsheets with a worm light
>playing on roadtrips with my brother who had the other version (red for me, blue for him)

Those first two gens were like lightning in a bottle. It was like The Beatles; sure you can still enjoy them now, and understand why people freaked out, but man, you really had to have been there at the right place in the right time. Pokemon was so special. I was a really fat, unpopular kid all throughout school, had difficulty keeping friendships, and my parents were getting divorced at the time. Pokemon made things so much easier to deal with.

I play updated hacks of the GB games on my phone all the time instead of mobileshit. Game Freak might not understand what made the first few games so good, but at least fans do.
>>
>>4230396
>The cartoon debuted on SM:TV, it was real neat
Hell yeah, used to brighten my Saturday
>>
I don't know, I speedrun Red so I can only see the game as the glitchy, broken mess that it is.
>>
>>4230709
>>4230941
>dat long-sight trainer Mew glitch tho
>>
>>4230623
Fuck, pal.
I bet you are from US, isn't it?
neoliberalism mentallity is a pretty fucked up thing
>>
>>4231061
How do you blame neoliberalism for children being assholes to each other?
>>
File: pkmn.jpg (48KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
pkmn.jpg
48KB, 400x400px
>>4230779
shit nigga, all of this. Pokemon was the thing that made every kid equal. boy, girl, fat, sporty, nerd, retard. If you had a GB and a cartridge, or even some stories to talk about your impressions with the game, you were a part of it. I always were the drawing kid, pokemon even made me so demanded kids fucking paid me with stickers and stuff for drawing fucking pokemons.
Not Pokemon related, but I remember one lewd kid who gave me a shitton of Episode I stickers for one crappy "naked drawing" of Joanna Dark.
Those were the days
>>
>>4231061
How the fuck did you come to that conclusion?
>>
>>4231070
>being so pathological competitive and miserably
insecure at the idea of failing to the point of not wanting others to succeed, and actually doing stuff to achieve it.
>while being a motherfucking toddler
Pal, human race can be a fucking disgrace, but kids are not born like that. That has to be learned
>>
>>4231096
here >>4231101
actually, I'm not trying to derail the thread into left/right discussion, most religions and politics cause mankind to be a fucking disgrace, no matter the orientation, but extreme competitive capitalist ideals of neoliberalism can produce demons like that.
I mean, every kid can turn into a little asshole from time to time, but I'm also a 90's kid that lived the pokemon fever in a first world country, and fuck, never saw or even heard kids being like that. I feel fucking bad for your kid you pal
>>
>>4231124
cry about it if you like but this isn't the place to discuss it nerd
>>
>>4231124
But I'm actually an American 90's kid unlike you and I've never seen any of that. Sorry you sad fucks over in Europe or wherever can't be friendly with one another unless you have a scapegoat to blame be it capitalism, Jews, etc. but it really is pathetic.
>>
No memories coz didn't play it
>>
I was 8 and I was pissed off because everyone got Red and I got stuck with Blue. Then when someone finally got a link cable I kicked their Charazzard loving asses to oblivion
>>
>>4231170
>stuck with
???
The only real advantage Red had over Blue was Arcanine and you could freely choose any starter.
>>
>>4231101
You have no idea what you're talking about. None of that is intrinsic to liberalism. Do you even know the word?
>>
i think my friend had boughten a copy of blue or whatever almost a week to the day that the whole pokemon shitstorm started, i got it a few days after i think (red) and the next 10 years are a blur.

though i think i was more interested in the corruptibility, i had a gameshark at the time so would be able to screw around a lot easier.

>the save data has been erased!

:(
>>
>>4230060
Buying a magikarp at the pokecenter and grinding away to get a gyarados early in the game. No regrets
>>
My origin story:
>be me, around 7-8 years old
>playing blue version in the stands at my friend's swim team competition
>older kid approaches
>"hey man, want to see a cool trick?"
>tells me about the Missingno glitch and how to clone items
>"do you have any rare candies? I can show you how and clone them for you"
>i have no rare candies
>"no worries bud, i can use my gameshark and give you 1 rare candy, then clone that one"
>he does it all, i'm in awe
>"no problem kid, have a good one"

I never saw him again
>>
>>4231049
I speedrun glitchless, sadly
>>
>>4230641
No$gmb
>>
File: 1504223406946-sp.jpg (80KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1504223406946-sp.jpg
80KB, 900x900px
I actually hated Pokemon as a kid. It was just so god damn boring. I traded silver to my friend after just a day trying to play. I kept trying to summon my Pokemon in the over world because I refused to believe it was just like you take turns telling what you want your monster to do.
>>
>>4230421
>And thus I've now played all the other games in my 30s.
was it worth it?

i played gen1, no one had link cables, consoles were too expensive already in 3rd world, at some point i lost interest... around 2000, decide to try again, play R+B via emulation, trading with a friend and a cousin who decided to play again as well, it was a blast, but never again
>>
>>4231101
>Pal, human race can be a fucking disgrace, but kids are not born like that. That has to be learned

Holy shit you're naive.
>>
File: timetraveler.jpg (152KB, 1600x1203px) Image search: [Google]
timetraveler.jpg
152KB, 1600x1203px
>getting my first pokemon ever
>link trades at daycare
>pokemon memes during boy scout road trips
>missingno craze
>mew and pikablue rumours
>that feeling when a random store has a booster box at the checkout counter
>opening a foil charizard in front of buddies
>>
Really I had more fond memories of playing Crystal than Red.

Mostly because I was a scrub that never played Red without cheating. Gen 2 glitches weren't well known so I had to play it legit, also Kanto.
>>
>>4231292
there is literally no point in any water Pokemon but Gyarados because he's such a sick cunt
>>
>>4230060
Last Summer on an emulator on PC when Pokemon Go was all the normie rage, because despite being a young elementary school-age kid during the height of Pokemon fever in the late 90's, and despite personally owning a fair variety of Pokemon merchendise, I never actually played any of the videogames. Even at age 6 I was a shithead poser.
>>
>>4231637
Poliwrath, Starmie, Slowbro, and Lapras all say hi and form an all water team with Gyarados while bringing along Kingler as an HM slave.
>>
>>4231637
completely the opposite

water are OP as fuck next to Psychics
>>
I started with Blue and picked Bulbasaur. Articuno was the only other Pokemon I ever leveled up. I pretty much Razor Leafed and Ice Beamed my way through the entire game. I wonder if I would have found the game more difficult if Red and Blue had more balanced mechanics.

For Gold I actually attempted to make a balanced team. I had Typhlosion, Victreebel, Magneton, Hitmonlee, Tyranitar, and Espeon. I was extremely proud of Espeon since happiness evolutions took so long. Sometimes I would find an area with good music and just stop and listen for a while.

I continued playing the games up to X and Y. I thought Black and White were exceptionally good entries.
>>
>>4230060
Well it was pretty much the first game that I ever got seriously hooked on. Picked Charmander like most other kids did.

It was seriously my favorite game for the longest time. Even today I still sometimes consider Red version my favorite game ever because of how much I loved and still love the game. It is impossible for me to ever hate it despite all the flaws I see people say it has.

I also just need to say this. It is amazing how immersive the games were for my child self. Even when it released there were countless better looking games. Yet even as a kid I remember loving the minimal graphics it had. It added something to the game that I feel people take for granted. Its really hard to fully explain and it could just be my nostalgia but the look of it for me left so much to the imagination that it makes the game feel much bigger than it is. The original games have a mysterious quality to them as well even despite the obvious fact that they were the first of their kind. The later games just never captured this. Not even G/S/C really managed to imo.

Even back then I always liked gen 1 more than gen 2. I loved both games a ton but gen 1 was just my definitive pokemon game. Sadly I just can't be allowed to have such opinions thanks to the immature shitposting. I'm sure the games from gen 4 on are fun. I just lost interest after gen 3. Gen 3 was pretty much the swan song for me. My ranking goes:

1 > 2 > 3

I could seriously talk about this game and write an entire thread myself. I mean shit there are very few games for me that even come close to the positive memories I have of R/B/Y games. Perhaps the best thing was I went into the game almost completely having no clue what was in store for me. Which probably added to the immersion for me and the adventure of it. I seriously need to try some romhacks done in the older style one day.
>>
>>4230623
where did you grow up?
>>
>>4231668
So very true, they really only had to watch out for razor leaf and thunder bolt, but even then they could all learn Blizzard and/or Ice Beam and electric types weren't particularly strong let alone beefy.
>>
i got it on release, was 11 at the time i believe. didnt even know what kind of a game it was
>starts playing
>oh, this is an RPG
>proceeds to grind pidgies and ratatas in the first grassy patch til lvl 16
>steamroll the rest of the game due to being overleveled, beat it in like 2 days
>erase the save file and reroll
>aquire 150 pokemons before anyone else at school
>grind up a couple of lvl 100s, put together the strongest team
>kick everyone and their glitched lvl 255 snorlaxes ass at school

that fucking tauros though, had to abuse glitches to catch him
>>
>>4230060
February 2000 bought it think I was gonna be able to play as the charzard on the cover.
>>
>>4230764
Wasn't the Jigglypuff in Pewter, so after Old Man who teaches you how to catch Pokemon?
>>
I'm actually playing Blue for the first time, my team so far is charmeleon, pidgeotto, machoke, weepinbell, hypno, haunter. I'm probably going to end up with at least a twelve man team, looking forward to rhydon, nidoking, jolteon, marowak, gyarados, kabutops...
wasn't expecting to enjoy it this much
>>
>>4231927
As a newcomer to the franchise, what do you enjoy the most?
>>
>>4231930
Not new, I played pearl through white when I was younger. I have the nostalgia everyone has for those games with school friends. Playing Blue now I realise how clever the design of the series is, it's really inevitable that it caught on like it did. Simple and unique, novel monster design, formulaic progression you can't really go wrong with, really gives that sense of adventure and struggle that children love. There's enough to invest and excite you with not only putting together a team and becoming the champ, but the pokedex and multi-player aspects were extremely well thought out as you can share the experience and aim for a structural collection of all the monsters. It's near mythical with rumors, rare monsters and the simple experience of the journey. The series is a unique and charming experience
>>
>>4231170
>I was 8 and I was pissed off because everyone got Red and I got stuck with Blue
Why would that piss you off?
>>
>>4231837
That gen2 team sounds beast
>>
>>4231849
I agree that first gen was magic. I say it was novelty but really it was "mysterious" in a way. it was something almost supernatural. I also lack the capacity to put it into words but it wasn't just the game, it was the time period too.

just wanted you to kno you're not the only one who feels that way.
>>
>>4232137
I loved first gen because it was no novel but ultimately it's pretty broken like psychic way overpowering everything.

G/S/C is the pinnacle of the series.
>>
>>4230060
"Glitch city" for some reason was entertaining to me and I kept doing it in different places just to see what would happen. Honestly the rest is kind of a blur.
>>
>October 1999 in Naziland
>Pokemon TV show and game were just out
>Friend had the blue edition
>I had shit
>Went to his place just to watch him play the game
>Jealous as fuck - to the point where I was begging my mom to buy me the game
>Finally get it
>It was all I ever wanted it to be
>Spend the next 3 weeks locked in my room
>Neighbour kids knock on my door, want me to come out play
>I CAN'T I GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL

I don't think there has been another game that enjoyed so much
>>
>>4230060
I've been wanting to download pokemon gold and ruby, but emupardise has removed the rom. Anyone know a good place where i can download it without getting my computer infected, thanks?
>>
>>4232319
mega.nz /#!cq5gFQ5J!fV4hxcodOSyggjaj0QMUSunayZbjDXz53eIyNlB7C_0
Have fun anon
>>
>>4232479
thanks
>>
>>4231356
Hahaha thats right, I played it on a floppy disk!
>>
>>4230380
Most people didn't in 1998, underage-anon.
>>
>>4230060
my little brother got it for christmas and could not defeat brock. so i quickly beat brock for him and thought to myself that pokemon was a waste of fucking time and developers that nintendo should instead funnel towards another earthbound sequel since they used similar assets. glad pokemon makes nintendo millions, but have always disliked the games. monster training/hunting sucks.
>>
>>4232825
Me and my friends did. That's how we all got a Mew from the nintendo event that my brothers friends went to.
>>
I was in 4th grade I think when r/b came out. It was the most fantastic game experience of my childhood. If I could erase my memory of only one game, so i could relive the experience fresh as the first time, it would absolutely 100% be pokemon r/b.
>>
File: Pokemon-Pikachu-Virtual-Pet[2].jpg (64KB, 287x296px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-Pikachu-Virtual-Pet[2].jpg
64KB, 287x296px
>>4235265
But you won't be able to recreate:
-Everybody around you playing pokemon too.
-The anime airing at the same time.
-Pokemon merchandising surrounding you
-Magazines talking about pokemon, questions, myths.
-Not being surrounded by wikis, let's play and overused amateur art.
>>
>>4230061
>>4231927
bye
>>
got Red version in my stocking for xmas of 98'. I don't know if I will ever have as much nostalgia for a game. Couldn't get into anything after gen 2 didn't feel the same to me or I was just bored.
>>
>>4235310
After G/S and Crystal, it was just the obligatory cashgrab and "how long can we ride this out"

the magic was definitely lost after g/s/c
>>
>>4235270
wish i still had my pocket pikachu 2
>>
>>4231049

That glitch wasn't known until years later. I think Emerald was out by then.
>>
>>4230060
>Over a decade ago
>Got an emulator on an old Sony Ericsson dumbphone
>Transferred Pokémon Gold onto my phone and played the game with a few other kids in school
>>
File: YGlitch159.png (1KB, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
YGlitch159.png
1KB, 56x56px
I only remember using cheats to turn my Zapdos into a "PokeGod", which merely became a glitchy abomination for one level before reverting to a Rhydon. Apparently you can mess with a Pokemon so hard that its index number resets.
>>
>>4231849

Princeton actually did a study on pokemon concerning the effect you're talking about.

It's not nostalgia. Some simplistic art styles are able to function this way. You see just enough so that you end up filling in the details yourself. The net effect is that you extrapolate your own world from simple effects.

The main ingredients are simple and effective looks, some attempt at style (and we can just look at some gen1 sprites to know that the style doesn't have to be perfect), and then a large amount of time spent in that little virtual environment. This effect takes hold for anyone of any age.

This effect is especially successful if everyone extrapolates the same thing. If almost everyone imagines the same details that are not actually explicitly included in the art, then functionally there is no difference.
>>
>>4235392
It's why a smiley face is so universal even a :) works. And why a lot of old roguelike players still insist on ascii
>>
>>4235392
That might be the explanation behind the autism of the DF community. I suppose this effect is absent for more complex pixel art games.
>>
This game was such a godsend for me when I went on family roadtirps to my grandmas house, it made those long and hot 17 hour car rides seen like nothing when I had small case of batterys and pokemon yellow
>>
it's sad thinking about what happened to all the people in my neighborhood who I used to be friends and trade with, still have some of their pokemon in my stadium boxes.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.