[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ITT: What are the most amusing retro gaming misconceptions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: vikings.jpg (91KB, 325x564px) Image search: [Google]
vikings.jpg
91KB, 325x564px
>ITT: What are the most amusing retro gaming misconceptions?

For me it would have to be where people compare SNES and Mega Drive multiplatform games and say that the SNES version has larger sprites, when in fact the sprite size is exactly the same but look more inflated on the screen since the SNES display resolution is smaller.
>>
That the Japanese versions were harder than the Western releases. There were only a few instances of when this was true (SMB3 comes to mind). But for the most part, the West actually got harder versions due to gaming companies not wanting everyone to beat their games on a single rental.

I feel that this myth took off when Nintendo didn't release the hard as hell SMB2J and were like "This must be too hard for us."
>>
>>4230024
That the SNES was capable of 480i resolutions when in fact only rpgs used it for some menu screens.
>>
>>4231271

even the PS1 only does 480i for menus (for the most part), how do people think games actually used it on the SNES?
>>
>>4231270
What makes jap Mario 3 harder than the Western version?
>>
>>4231546
In the JP version, when you take damage as fire or raccoon mario, you go back to small mario, instead of going back to super mario.
>>
SNES:
>More colors = Better graphics
Genesis:
>No Sega Genesis game has slowdown
>>
>>4231589
>No Sega Genesis has slowdown
It has a name...BLAST PROCESSING!!!
>>
>>4231613
>BLAST PROOOCCCC E E E E E S S S S S S SING!
>>
>>4231589
But FMV would've looked better on SNES. That's something.
>>
>>4231270
I don't agree with you either, both instances are more of less equal.
>>
Comparing the Genesis with the SNES is already a misconception IMO
>>
>>4232827
True
Sega was on a whole damn other level of the game
>>
>>4231270
Or arcade games

>Xmen Japanese arcade
>Has health items
>Xmen American arcade
>No health items

That says it all doesn't it?
>>
>>4232886
Japanese arcardes are usually 100 yen per credit. That's four times as much as an American quarter. So you have four times as many lives in American arcade games if you spend the same.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.