[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best plug n play consoles? Which are best avoided?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: plugplaygames.jpg (427KB, 800x513px) Image search: [Google]
plugplaygames.jpg
427KB, 800x513px
What are the best plug n play consoles? Which are best avoided?

I'm curious in particular about the flashback series, since there are 7 or so atari ones and they blend together. Also the coleco and intellivision flashbacks, are they any good?
>>
Some of the Flashback, Intellivision and Atari joystick units are just console-on-a-chip. The ROMs are being forced to run on fake NES hardware, basically. I believe the Intellivision plug-and-play actually involved rewriting the games as hacked up NES ROMs.

The AtGames units are horrendous when it comes to Genesis / MD compatibility. The units will almost always have off-pitch or heavily distorted music. The only Sonic plug-and-play unit that does seem to reproduce the games accurately is the one that includes Sonic 2, Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sonic Spinball. This is the one: http://info.sonicretro.org/Super_Sonic_Gold

AtGame SMS / GG units are generally fine. There may be minor PSG sound distortion, but nothing too noticeable. Examples of these include the PlayPal / FunPlay 20-in-1: http://info.sonicretro.org/FunPlay_20-in-1
I can vouch for the FunPlay, as I owned one for a while. They just don't look too good on modern television sets due to poor (or only partial) scaling.

Regarding the Flashbacks again - I recommend reading up on the Wikipedia article, as it gives a blow-by-blow description of each model's strengths and weaknesses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback
>>
>>4228119
The Flashback 2 is the only one worth getting. It's literally a mini-2600 board designed from scratch. It even has markings on the board to add a cart slot if you're so inclined. Pretty much all the others are trash, though I have a soft spot for Famiclones.
>>
The Ms Pac-Man one at the top is worth having.
>>
File: computer_c64_dtv3_07[1].jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
computer_c64_dtv3_07[1].jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>a best

Lots of plug n plays are fairly decent though as long as your expectations aren't very high. I think a big element of their appeal is using a relatively authentic controller and having a pre-selection of games all together and cheap. Just buy whatever interests you and doesn't look like total junk basically.
>>
>>4228119
best one is the NES since it has the one good game it came with and there's no point removing it
>>
>>4228471
I got that C64 one from a tip shop. The joystick is alright.
>>
File: dtv-setup[1].jpg (100KB, 500x412px) Image search: [Google]
dtv-setup[1].jpg
100KB, 500x412px
>>4228530
The reason it's goat is because it's a full-on clone of a C64 complete with all the pinouts to connect all the accessories including a floppy drive (or FDE). The british version actually has a micro SD slot on the board that makes it WAY easy to mod but ours doesn't.
>>
>>4228426
It is a lot of effort to do that mod, like any hobby project costly too. The board is all just under the buttons, so it is all air space inside. I think one of those Rasperri Pi things everyone loves to use for emulation would fit nicely inside too. I had wanted to learn to solder using the flashback's board with a cartridge slot, but now realizing the cost, effort, knowledge, tools, and skills needed, I have regrets. However, I had regrets about getting my clone console at first too, but it has found its place. I just hope the flashback 2 can do the same, since it doesn't have a lot of the few interesting games for me of the 2600 like Jr. Pac-Man nor Space Invaders.
>>
>>4228119
>best
none
>avoided
the rest
>>
>>4228780
$500 worth of flash carts plugged into a piece of shit $20 chinese clone console. Nice one
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>4228938
>>
>>4228498
Can you provide a link -- what product are you talking about
>>
>>4228968
He's attempting to troll by suggesting the only good NES game is SMB. So weak that the only replies likely would be from confusion like yours so gibberish would have been more effective.
>>
>>4228119
Great thread -- definitely going to be buying a couple of these
>>
>work at goodwill
>constantly see the old namco pac-man plug-in plays donated and put out on the store shelves for $4 to $5
>look them up online
>you're lucky to get them for under $50 used
>>
>>4229247
>not buying and selling them yourself

Alternatively if you find the one with a twisting stick for pole position then email me, I'll pay. [email protected]
>>
>>4229384
I have one of those. It's honestly mediocre.
>>
>>4228734
Interesting.. How much do these things go for?

I have the mini genesis with the red controller. I was honestly thinking of hacking the cord and soldering on a plug so I could have a red controller for my genesis. Not sure if that would work. It is a sweet red controller. And then maybe mod the case with a orange pi.
>>
>>4229490
>I have the mini genesis with the red controller.
You could probably do a guts-swap. You would have to take it apart to check. I have swapped out generic SNES shells for licensed on a wii controller. It fit perfectly....However this may be different. If it is the "same" on the inside, I would swap guts. The tv system would still work with a beat ass black controller, and you would be pimp daddy with a red one with a plug.
>>
>>4229490
Too much but mine came from a thrift store. If I'd have known back in the mid 2000s I probably would have picked up more than just my one. I haven't seen another one at a thrift in as long as /vr/'s been a thing. Plug n plays in general are thinning out with the exception of gun ones (that all use relative positioning like a wii to be hdtv compatible) and flashbacks that get way overpriced because thrifts are too dumb to tell them from authentic consoles which of course are worth big bucks.

Chances are the firecore on that Genesis is in the little box so the controller is most likely pin compatible with regular Genesis and even if it's not or you can't pull it off the case could probably swap. the cases. I have a red controller that looks just like a Genesis controller but is actually for famiclones
>>
https://youtu.be/esQNEvcHVuM
>>
File: 1200px-NES-Console-Set.jpg (65KB, 1200x652px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-NES-Console-Set.jpg
65KB, 1200x652px
>>4228968
this thing, and not the mini one. you just stick the duck hunt / mario cart in it and leave it in there.
>>
The Namco one that has Pole Position is really cool. You rotate the tip of the joystick to steer the car, making it one of the only available versions of that game that isn't an uncontrollable shitstain.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.