[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hacked the original xbox and downloaded emulators for: NES, SNES,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 8

File: Hueg_xbox.jpg (13KB, 576x355px) Image search: [Google]
Hueg_xbox.jpg
13KB, 576x355px
Hacked the original xbox and downloaded emulators for: NES, SNES, GENESIS, PSX, N64, GBA.
Do you know other good emulators?
Also, underrated retro game gems
>>
Bump retroarch never worked
>>
You don't need to bump every 5 mins, newfriend. Slow board.
>>
>>4227693
/vr/ isnt smart enough to hack anything besides the wii
>>
>>4227693
install a bigger hard drive
>>
>>4227843
I made lots of money modding xboxes back in the day, but the Wii is better for retro emulation since it does 240p and has more controller options plus integrated Wifi/USB. The Xbox does run Playstation and N64 games somewhat better though.
>>
>>4227843
soft modding the xbox isn't any harder
>>
>>4227936
It's slightly harder, mainly because it doesn't have an integrated SD card reader which is another feature I didn't mention. Is there an exploit that auto-installs now? I've just temporarily installed an Xecutor 3 whenever I needed to mod one but I heard you can now lock new hdds with the softmod so maybe I should learn that since the mod chip doesn't work in the ones with cut traces on the jtag port.
>>
>>4227947
Not him, but you can use a formated USB-flashdrive with a customized save of Splinter Cell, Agent Under Fire or Mechwarrior. Connect it to the Xbox and load the save through one of these games. This way you can load a softmod through a exploit and install it over the standard bios.
>>
>>4227693
Original Xbox can't do 240p, it looks absolutely shit on a 480i CRT. I have one and tried it years ago.
Just get an original Wii.
>>
>>4228401
Not without an additional adapter because like I said the Xbox doesn't have actual USB ports unlike the Wii. I know how to softmod an Xbox, but the last time I did it the exploit only opened an FTP server and you had to install the dashboard from a PC manually while letterbomb installs the HBC automatically. Definitely easier.
>>
>>4227909
>muh 240p
>>
>>4227693
ResurrectionExtras.
>>
>>4228482
I don't know garbage pants how you can be so silly sometimes.
Literary a bubble gum wire mod will let you use normal USB stick in the original Xbox's controller port. They are actual USB, just with custom ports.
>>
>>4227936
it really is though. with wii you load something onto an sd card and it's practically doing itself from there on. an xbox needs to be opened and the hdd replaced, most of the autists here don't even know the difference between ide and sata
>>
>>4228503
No, you just need an USB stick OR a modded game disc. You don't need to actually open the console.
PS2 softmod can be done the same way with a modded game disc or copping over your friends memory card with FMCB.

Both are no harder than the Wii softmod. The Wii softmod still requires you to be able to follow basic instructions and have basic skills for using at least Windows.
>>
How good is 3DO emulation on the Xbox?

3DO original hardware naturally interpolates its 320x240 framebuffer into 480i.

Why they did this is anyone's guess but it does mean that the lack of 240p output on the Xbox is not an obstacle to accurate emulation of 3DO.
>>
>>4228508
why the fuck would you mod an xbox and keep the old hdd in there? might as well not mod it if you're gonna be retarded about it. also, you can buy a memory card with the shit on it but that's even more retarded when you can hardmod a controller to take usb.
>>
>>4228597
>why the fuck would you mod an xbox and keep the old hdd in there? might as well not mod it if you're gonna be retarded about it.
How is the hard drive related to any of this? You mod to play emulators/pirated games.
People softmod PS2's without any hard drives at all.

>also, you can buy a memory card with the shit on it but that's even more retarded when you can hardmod a controller to take usb.
Again, this is related how? As it was already said, it's easy. See>>4228493

If you're going to do some shit like open it up, might aswell buy a modchip when they cost a few bucks and you _literary_ have to solder only two wires.
>>
Reminder that when you can use original Xbox hard drives for retro DOS PC builds.
They are 8Gb and DOS supports up to 8Gb.
There are hacks to increase the max size of supported drive but I think 8Gb is enough for all worthwhile DOS games especially if you exclude multimedia CD shovelware.
>>
>>4228673
How about a CF card with an adapter? A 8GB card and a passive IDE/PATA adapter will be 10 bucks and you don't have to rip apart an Xbox for it.

It's actually great idea to do that same CF card mod for a Xbox also or SATA-IDE/PATA bridge SSD.
>>
>>4228673
Aren't OG Xbox HDDs old and failing now?
I've heard Xbox fans reccomending people to clone their 8Gb HDDs incase they fail otherwise their Xbox may be bricked with no way to fix.

What about the DVD drive on Xbox? Is it compatible/suitable with DOS PC builds?
>>
>>4228704
>Aren't OG Xbox HDDs old and failing now?
Depends how much they got used.

>I've heard Xbox fans reccomending people to clone their 8Gb HDDs incase they fail otherwise their Xbox may be bricked with no way to fix.
There are images online that you can write to new hard drive to use with an original Xbox if your own drive fails or you don't have one.

>What about the DVD drive on Xbox? Is it compatible/suitable with DOS PC builds?
No. (Well yes if you want an ugly drive and a bit of soldering, else it's a dumb idea.)
Also, most of the original Xbox drives can only read DVDs and not CDs.
>>
>>4228493
I guess I'm silly because I think things like "not having to modify hardware and copy software over the network is easier". It's kind of like that other thread about Playstation mods where I said that not having to install a mod chip is easier than installing one or actually I guess it was adding a switch is easier than flashing a new modchip and installing it.

There seem to be a lot of people on this board who like to feel pleased with themselves because they're able to do mods that other people might not be able to. That's kind of a dick attitude but at least it has a basis in reality. When you start trying to turn a discussion about what is easier into "hurrr ur week itz all e-z fer me" then you're actually just shitposting.
>>
>>4228710
>There are images online that you can write to new hard drive to use with an original Xbox if your own drive fails or you don't have one.
The hard drive needs to be locked with a key specific to the motherboard, do these images get around that?
>>
>>4228713
None of those mods are anything hard, it's the bitching and whining of those who "can't" do it that makes people joke about them and be smug about it.
>>
>>4228713
>
There seem to be a lot of people on this board who like to feel pleased with themselves because they're able to do mods that other people might not be able to. That's kind of a dick attitude but at least it has a basis in reality.
Ironic coming from the tripfag that pollutes every thread with his pseudo-intellectual opinions and "wisdom". If you want anyone to take you seriously when discussing matters of ego on an anonymous message board, you should probably consider not using a tripcode for the sole purpose of establishing an identity and giving false weight to your opinions. Seriously, nobody likes you, everyone thinks you're a faggot and you literally shit up every thread day in and day out. You are never going to be some kind of /vr/, you're just the town faggot. Now stop and think about what happened in your life to make you so gay.
>>
>>4228719
You flash the chip on your Xbox with the code of the image OR you have a modchip, then you don't have to.
>>
File: 1502999715207.jpg (64KB, 662x712px) Image search: [Google]
1502999715207.jpg
64KB, 662x712px
>>4228728
>Ironic coming from the tripfag that pollutes every thread with his pseudo-intellectual opinions and "wisdom".
Fucking
Kek

I love how he to told right now.
>>
>>4228726
I'm not trying to debate the completely subjective scale of what's "hard" and what's "easy". Some things are simply easier than others or less time consuming or less expensive or more flexible or physically smaller. As I said before, I've modded dozens of both Xboxes and Wiis and the only gaming that I do on modded Xbox is Xbox exclusives. XBMC is way better than WiiMC though.

>>4228728
>Oh y-yeah? Well you're.. a... a... TRIPFAG

>>4228735
I am indeed toldstone creamery
>>
>>4228748
>the only gaming that I do on modded Xbox is Xbox exclusives
Like everybody who owns a Xbox in retrospect.

>XBMC is way better than WiiMC though.
Softmod Wii U + Plex on home server is best though.
>>
>>4228759
I haven't picked one up yet, I think I'll probably spend that money on getting a video card that runs Cemu better until I see a WiiU for like $40 which might never happen. Meanwhile Xboxes and Wiis can be picked up under that all day long to serve as satellite media centers.

Xboxes are more expensive, take up more room and don't come with wireless controllers or wifi so the Wiis tend to win out even in that role from pure convenience. They don't stream HD content worth a shit though.
>>
>>4228808
>to serve as satellite media centers
how?
>>
>>4228808
>I think I'll probably spend that money on getting a video card that runs Cemu better
CEMU is CPU bottlenecked, even a shitty old 6970 or 470 is going to run Cemu perfectly as long as you don't have a cheap shit CPU.
>>
>>4228832
I have an i7 with a 730 I'm pretty sure it's the video card.
>>
>>4228868
Yeah, your graphics card is a JOKE.
>>
>>4228872
Which is why I'm going to upgrade it to a 1050 before I would spend the same money on a WiiU. It's been a really good card for a long time though.
>>
>>4228878
Why a 1050? If you can't afford a 1060 at least go for a RX580.
>>
>>4228486
Not that I'm standing up for the tripfag, gramps can do that on his own, but he did have some other shit to say right there.
>>
>>4228880
I need a slim so it fits in the entertainment center.

>>4228881
Some people can't understand why you would want to emulate in the original console's resolution and output. There's really no point arguing with them, it's subjective - but it seems like they might as well just use a PC
>>
>>4228704
>Aren't OG Xbox HDDs old and failing now?
I haven't heard of anyone's HDD failing yet, but the leaking clock capacitor seems to be the biggest concern atm.
>>
>>4228895
Honestly, I have an Xbox laying around. Haven't looked much into the modding scene for it. I softmodded my Wii, and I've been thinking of getting into mods for the Xbox. A couple questions if I may, take note I have done no reading previous to asking these:
I presume it still plays Xbox titles once you've finished modding it, yes? Aside from the aforementioned N64 and PS1 Emulation, which unfortunately, I'm not too invested in, seeing as I've already got both an N64 and a PS1, what more is there that is particularly noteworthy? Could I make it read old games that there's no decent emulation for currently? (For instance, I can't get Earthsiege 2 to run on my Windows 10 machine, even through virtualbox. Same for Lemmings Revolution.) What bonus does the modding provide? Any extra support for anything else?
>>
File: metal wolf chaos.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
metal wolf chaos.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>4228919
I've modded mine just to play a few imports like Metal Wolf Chaos and SMT: Nine. Haven't installed any emulators yet, just been enjoying playing burned games and with no region lock.
>>
>>4228919
Yes, it still plays Xbox games including imports and hacks/translations. For example you can add online content in manually

>>4228927
Metal Wolf Chaos is literally the only game I've played on Xbox in the last eight(?) years. Yet I bought three Xbox games just yesterday.. I've never even played Steel Battalion since I got my controller. Waiting to pick up a second one and do multiplayer. It's a shame Line of Contact will probably never be recovered from the ether.
>>
Can you play original Xbox games off a network share like with PS2?
>>
>>4228937
Yes. It's actually even simpler because it plays better with Windows networking.
>>
>>4228935
Do you still have to use the CD/DVD to play games or can I download them to an HDD?
>>
>>4228939
Is there a guide somewhere? I've been trying to google an answer for this one but all I find are forum posts from 2003 that nobody has a howto for

thanks
>>
>>4228940
Both work.
>>
>>4228941
Just share the directory then map that share to your launcher, or just start the game's exe directly with a file browser.
>>
>>4228948
How do you map shares? I have a custom dashboard and modchip
>>
File: steel battalion.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
steel battalion.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>4228935
15 years later and I still have not played anything like Steel Battalion... And I'm not even talking about its sim nature and setup, I'm talking about the diabolical learning curve where the game basically says "haha, fuck you" and deletes your save file if you fail to eject or if you eject too many times and run out of money.
>>
>>4228949
Uhhh.. I think the file is config.xml iirc, there should be a line in there that has the default games directory which is probably like D:\Games\ I think. Add the network address of the directory with your games to that.

>>4228958
Permadeath is thrilling.
>>
>>4228927
>Metal Wolf Chaos
Where can you get a translated version?
>>
>stealth "hey guys let's talk about non-retro hardware and games for it on /vr/" thread

reminder to sage/report
>>
>>4229021
I loved how this thread was flying under the radar for so long without anyone giving a fuck.

Also just swapped a mod chipped original Xboxes 8GB drive for a 7200RPM 80GB one.
>>
>>4228995
Therefore should still be a patch available via that guy's blog and otherwise via romhacking. Really a shame he never translated the entire thing, but the game is completely playable in its current state.
>>
>>4228719
master passwords have surfaced over the years
it's not as big of a problem anymore
>>
>>4229027
Sorry lad, but your childhood will NEVER EVER be retro. Go back to /v/ where your kind belong.
>>
>>4229031
Not my childhood though. Original Xbox came out way late in my teens.
Also no, this shit will be retro pretty soon, just give it time. The people who "make the rules" will _literary_ die and nobody will stop new ones defining things their way.
>>
>>4227909
Most of the n64 games worth playing have VC versions that run perfectly. It's the best way to play paper mario for example, including emulators
>>
>>4229029
That's good news. Is the reverse also true? I still have my original softmod hard drive with all my saves and all my morrowind mods and all that shit locked on it after the console crapped.
>>
>>4229038
I think so, try lpartx
>>
>>4229037
Yeah, I just recently got into injecting wads (huh huh huh) but even though I'm arguing basically the opposite in the N64 thread it's nice to have most of the library playable especially considering how little space it takes up.
>>
>>4229028
What's the newer patch version? is it the beta 0.2?
>>
>>4228710
>Also, most of the original Xbox drives can only read DVDs and not CDs.

False, all OG Xboxes are able to play music CDs.
>>
>>4228710
>Depends how much they got used.
No shit, replace it with a new one faggot.
>Also, most of the original Xbox drives can only read DVDs and not CDs.
Absolutely fucking wrong, where did you even get this idea from?
>>
>>4229097
CD-R's that is
aka self written CD's
>>
As this is literary a Xbox thread now, what are the best Xbox exclusives?
>>
File: 1489597240238.jpg (714KB, 1225x1225px) Image search: [Google]
1489597240238.jpg
714KB, 1225x1225px
>>4229131
Also Phantom Dust, but you really need 4 players to make the game shine.
>>
>>4229131
Forza
Dino Crisis 3
Dead or Alive 3
Crimson Skies
Conker Live & Reloaded
Ninja Gaiden
Steel Battalion
Nightcaster
Toe Jam & Earl 3

Metal Wolf Chaos
Shin Megami Tensei: 9 (haven't played it personally though)

There aren't a lot because so many later were ported to PC.
>>
>>4229137
>>4229139
Thanks guys, this will be great now that I upgraded the hard drive.
>>
>>4229137
Phantom Dust has aged really badly and isn't as fun to play nowadays.
>>
>>4229175
True, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's only going to play the singleplayer.
>>
can you play xbox games over a network share on pc like you can with the ps2? don't want to deal with old ass hard drives and shit
>>
>>4229758
read the goddamn thread

swapping out the old drive for a new one is literary a 15 minute job
>>
>>4229768
or i could just use the already built in network adapter and keep all my games in one location
>>
>>4229773
nobody is stopping you
I said read the thread because yes, yes you can do that
just that internal hard drive is faster though
>>
>>4229175
>aged

>>4229097
>>4228710
Some like mine can even read CD-RW
>>
>>4228704
>I've heard Xbox fans reccomending people to clone their 8Gb HDDs incase they fail otherwise their Xbox may be bricked with no way to fix.
Upgrade to a larger HDD, and you can never have a fatal HDD failure. You always have the first setup. I am in a spot where I may revert just to see if I can fix an issue.
Always keep a backup of your eeprom. You can always create a new HDD without any issue.
>>
File: filtered knob shiner.jpg (12KB, 644x45px) Image search: [Google]
filtered knob shiner.jpg
12KB, 644x45px
>>4228728
Filter those cock suckers so you don't have to see their bullshit.
>>
How do I upgrade to a new HDD without reinstalling everything?
>>
>>4229779
um apparently you can't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/6xd55x/is_it_possible_to_use_a_raspberry_pi_to_stream/
>>
>>4230034
If a random redditor post is more authoritative for you, why are you even here?
>>
>>4230202
to discover the truth
>>
>>4228728
>Seriously, nobody likes you
Sorry kid keep your opinions to yourself. The trip user is just another lost soul that roams here, which is pretty much like you and me. Despite using some needless code he is just as irrelevant as you.

>Now stop and think about what happened in your life to make you so gay.
Did you post that for yourself or what? Hahahahah....
>>
>>4229048
Sounds like it. I believe he had 2 releases. Wouldn't be best too look it up in blogspot though.
>>
>>4230034
Baggae's gramps does not lie.

It's just not very obvious to people without experience, you do it entirely in the configuration files and not in some menu in the xbox itself.
>>
>>4231106
>>
>>4227693
How does one go about modding a Xbox? I've been wanting to do that for years.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.