[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Sonic Adventure 2? How does it stack up to its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7

File: Sonic%20Adventure%202%201.jpg (334KB, 1000x985px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic%20Adventure%202%201.jpg
334KB, 1000x985px
Thoughts on Sonic Adventure 2? How does it stack up to its predecessor?
>>
They somehow fucked up the scavenger hunt and e-102 gamma missions by making them more tedious.
>>
I loved unlocking the Sega Master System games in SADX

SA2 stripped that out and made collecting emblems pointless
>>
>>4225872
There's an extra stage if you beat the game 100%.
>>
>>4225882
We know about Green Hill. It's too short, easy and looks like shit.
>>
>>4225872
You are aware that SADX was made after both SA2 AND SA2B, right? You can't strip out something that wasn't there until some later remake added it in.
>>
>>4225865
I wonder why many Sonic fans can't stand SA1 these days? Oh yeah, self-loathing and more than several gripes and issues they idiotically refuse to have taken care of. Or they never played it is all, and they eat Vicelands bullshit.
>>
>it's another Sonic thread

Can we just start a Sonic general already
>>
>>4225869
They improved them, though. The Knuckles and Rogue missions are fun as hell in SA2 and the first ones I got all A ranks on. The SA1 Knuckles missions felt incredibly half-assed.
>>
>>4225928
>>I wonder why many Sonic fans can't stand SA1 these days?
SA1 is my favourite game in the series. I think it's because it's become a trendy game for e-celebs to hate on.
>>
>>4225938
They messed up by not spawning the next emerald piece until you've got the first one. IE, you can't skip pieces, must collect them in order.
>>
>>4225962
It's a minor flaw, but hardly a game breaker. The target times were obviously built around this.
You can also say it adds a bit to the challenge.
>>
Degenerated in most ways.
>Sonic/Shadow became more linear and less complex than SA1 levels
>Treasure hunt more developed but made to be more tedious
>Shooting levels became a shit ton more boring and gave up even attempting to feel fast like Gamma levels did
>>
>>4225928
I prefer Sonic Adventure 2 because it has a better Chao Garden
>>
>>4225962
>not spawning the next emerald piece until you've got the first one.
No. All three emerald pieces are in the level as soon as you start. It's the radar that's garbage, only picking up a specific one before moving on to the next one. You could easily run passed the third piece while looking for the first.
>>
>>4225938
>fun as hell
Better =/= fun, they were just tolerable for the most part.
>>4226341
I don't know why I find this so funny, I always just thought the radar was shit and sometimes it would only go off a little when I'm on top of an emerald.
>>
>>4226018
The treasure hunts are really fucking fun once you get the hang of how to play them. You need to learn how the radar works and how to make big swoops of the level trying to make the radar catch on to one as quick as possible. Potentially grabbing a hint on the bigger levels. They were my favorite levels in SA2, while I found the SA1 ones boring and way too easy.
>>
>>4225865
its my favorite sonic game
>>
>>4226324
thats the best part
>>
All the ways it improves on Sonic Adventure do not make up for the shitty Tails/Eggman levels, or how they make up the majority of the levels.
>>
>>4226603
I liked them. For the most part. That city level with Tails was shit.
>>
>>4226603
The Tails/Eggman levels weren't even bad, and they were better than any of the non-Sonic levels in SA.
>>
>>4226618
>best music track for Tails is wasted on his worst level
Why is this allowed?
>>
Why did Eggman limit himself to the ground? His eggpods normally fly.

Why didn't Tails change the tornado back into plane mode and just blast the hell out of Eggman in their fight?

So many questions.
>>
>>4226814
>Why did Eggman limit himself to the ground? His eggpods normally fly.
Rocket fuel ain't cheap. Eggman isn't made out of money.
Why do you think his robots are in short supply in SA2, even in his own hideouts? The majority of enemies you fight are either GUN robots or chaos clones.

>Why didn't Tails change the tornado back into plane mode and just blast the hell out of Eggman in their fight?
In the time it takes to transform and actually cover enough ground to take off, Eggman will have planted enough holes in the Tornado to make swiss cheese out of it. The walker mode grants immediate mobility, which is required to dodge vulcan bullets.
>>
>>4226814
>>Why didn't Tails change the tornado back into plane mode and just blast the hell out of Eggman in their fight?
First fight: It wouldn't really have helped. Eggman could still have locked on to him.
Second fight: You can't really fly a plane indoors.
>>
>>4225865
It's where everything went wrong. SA1's only problem was Big's Big Fishing Adventure. Everything else was good. In SA2 even the Sonic levels aren't really that good, and the non-Sonic/Shadow levels are just faeces.
>>
>>4227206
>It's where everything went wrong
SA1 and 2 aren't even that different.
>Everything else was good.
Eh.
>>
File: Sonic_adventure_2_Battle.jpg (121KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_adventure_2_Battle.jpg
121KB, 640x908px
Why is the design of this cover so awesome?
>>
>>4225865
I prefer sonic bandicoot 1 desu
>>
>>4226626
>and they were better than any of the non-Sonic levels in SA.
Tails/Knuckles/Gamma are all way more playable than SA2 shooting levels
>>
>>4225928

It half-has yo to with all the shitty ports like the XBL/PSN/Steam ports, and the other half is because it's an E-celeb meme to hate on it.
>>
>>4226945
>Rocket fuel ain't cheap. Eggman isn't made out of money.

Robotnic's robotics are powered by small animals, I thought? Or is that just for autonomous ones?
>>
>>4227206
>SA1's only problem was Big's Big Fishing Adventure

I love how this wasn't a contemplate problem just because of how much everyone loved Bass fishing at the time.

Out of all the fads in the 90s, that's the weirdest one.
>>
SA2 was much more fun in my opinion, and has certainly aged better than Sonic Adventure.
>>
I liked SA2 a lot more. The Sonic/Shadow levels were a blast.

Something I realised when I actually tried to replay this a while back is that it actually kinda sucks on a first playthrough. Without any powerups, the robot levels are so unbelievably fucking slow. It's horrible.

Jewel levels are meh. Some are fun. Meteor herd or whatever the space knuckles one is can go fuck itself though.

The best part of the game (besides chao garden) were actually the missions. As a kid those took up most of my play time and added tons of replay value to levels. They also worked really well with chao garden, as it gave you an excuse to go through the different levels and collect animals and energy cores. It was like the equivalent of grinding in an rpg, except instead of turn based battles in was platforming with a different challenge each time. Even if you failed at getting an a rank or whatever, you still had some degree of reward for just playing through the level.

The chao garden in a vacuum would kind of suck. It's in combining it with the regular levels of the game that it really starts to add a lot of value.

Finding secrets was also really fun. It was neat that every level had a power up hidden somewhere, looking for shrines was pretty neat too. Reminds me somewhat of the branching pathways that old Sonic games had, although it isn't really a suitable replacement.

But anyway, yeah, the most fun I had with this game was when the story was finished and I was able to just play and enjoy it as a game. Didn't really realize that until trying to play it again. Anyone who plays through the game's story once and puts it down wont be able to understand why it was popular. It was a game whose true appeal lied in multiple playthroughs of levels just like classic Sonic.
>>
>>4227216
it's very colorfull
>>
>>4227330
They were okay as levels to beat. Getting the two bonus emblems was a pain.
>>
>>4227621
I hated the Chao garden in SA2. Leveling the Chao up took way too long and all the other bullshit you could do there felt so pointless. At least in SA1 it was relatively quick and painless to get the emblems.
>>
>>4225934
Blame Sonic Mania.
>>
>>4227216
Composition is great - good guys on one side, bad guys on the other (the three Chaos are a nice touch) and everybody is posed in a way that gives an indication of what their personality is like
>>
>>4225865
I know it was just fluff, but I missed SA1's hub levels and the Tails and Eggman stages were also horrible. The Chao management was better, though, and everything else was pretty decent minus Shadow's bizarre story which I never really "got"

SA1's has no faults for me, I even liked Big's scenario.
>>
>>4225865
Played the first one and loved it. Is the second one just as good?
>>
>>4225865
I didn't like it. Every level is boring and lifeless.
>>
>>4230929
If you liked the first one, you'll like the second, but you might like it a bit less.
>>
>>4230929
It's better. Removes the hub world, the Tails levels, the Amy levels and the Big levels and greatly improves the Sonic levels, the Knuckles levels and the Gamma levels (which are now rebranded as Tails levels)
>>
>>4230965
I actually think the level design for shooting is better, but I much prefer the faster e-102 than the tanky robotails.
>>
>>4230965
>Knuckles
Levels are too big and the emerald radar is horrible. You can't even get shards in any order anymore.
>>
>>4230965
I would rather have Amy and Tails levels back than the trash that was Mech Tails and Eggman.
>>
I play it more than SA1, but I'm addicted to the Chao Garden. I really didn't like most of the segments that didn't feature Sonic as well, since they were such a slow change of pace.

SA2 added some nice features, but it was still only half fun. I could never get anyone to race with me either. Still, I play it more than SA1 even if I don't really like it more than SA1.
>>
>>4230997
The races are really bad though. CHAOS CONTROL for fucking ever.
>>
I played both SA1 and 2 for the first time this year and while I felt SA1 was really janky at times which dampened my enjoyment (granted it was the Steam port which I hear is buggier) I found SA2 was a more refined and streamlined experience in comparison, and I had a blast playing through it. I admittedly wish the radar was less linear but I feel with the way the hint system is implemented it may have been a necessity. Otherwise I didn't have many complaints (though I found Mad Space in particular kind of disorienting, I don't think the gravity works as well as intended there). Love the OST as well.

That said I only gave it a once-over, and never went for better ranks or the other missions. Never touched the Chao garden either. Might be worth revisiting later to experience those.
>>
>>4231040
Mad Space is literally the worst level in the game, the physics in it are absolutely fucked.
>>
>>4227314
I forgot, what exactly changed in the Steam version? I heard some stuff about Gamecube DX having worse camera, but I'm ignorant otherwise.
>>
>>4230997
Multiplayer was a poorly thought-out mess that's broken beyond belief.
>>
>>4231253
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uNsTXIzgGI
>>
>>4231327
But why does Vanilla Steam look better
>>
>>4225869
They made the best part of the game better while making a bad thing and a mediocre thing slightly worse.
>>
>>4231261
It was also really fun when you play with a friend whose as good as you are.
>>
>>4225869
>that timed Rouge level
>>
>>4231498
>sucking so hard a simple time limit harms you
>>
>>4231535
all the other timed missions never harmed me what with the "knowing where the fuck to go" thing

that and the eggman shouting
>>
>>4231498
>we need this done in 10 minutes
>i can do it in 5
NO YOU CAN'T YOU STUPID BAT
>>
>>4231498
I can only clear this stage based on pure luck.
>>
>>4231721
A ranks and timed mission emblems have far FAR stricter time limits than that.
>>
>>4231498
>that timed Rouge level
Literally fucking nothing. A ranked it in like 3 tries. All I can say is, if you found this difficult, good luck on the mission where you have to use the fucking monkey bombs.
>>
File: Dx.jpg (147KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
Dx.jpg
147KB, 640x448px
>>4231345
It doesn't.

DX versions are missing the exclusive type of lighting Dreamcast had to make the game look realistic and nice, are buggier than the Dreamcast version (which is already buggy enough too, just less than Sonic 2006), have crappy sound effects, have characters' models that look plastic and too shiny, and have changed textures where some of them don't fit and never were needed to be replaced.

The only thing better on DX is the characters' models that look better and more defined, and even in that matter, I personally prefer Dreamcast's models because they have a charm, and plus Sonic, Tails and Knuckles on Dreamcast look like a hybrid between their classic and modern forms, which I like that.
>>
>>4225865
I like SA1 a lot more. The mech and especially the treasure levels in SA2 are extremely tedious. SA1 also has a better aesthetic and overall story.

SA2 marks the start of when Sonic games started taking themselves way too seriously and started getting edgy unfitting stories. Honestly, though not perfect, SA1 probably has the best story out of any of the 3D games.

>a proper story while still not taking itself too seriously like later edgier titles
>deconstructed the characters and provided significant character development for Tails and Amy
>characters are more faithful to their classic incarnations than later titles. Tails is still involved in the action and Knuckles isn't a braindead retard
>Gamma, probably the best written character in the series
>>
>>4231498
Fuck that and the fucking space level she has at the end of the game.
>>
What were the hardest levels to get all As in?
>>
>>4227216
It's better than just Sonic/Shadow like the original was
>>
>>4231253
SADX Steam is a port of SADX 360 which was a port of SADX PC with removed content which was a port of Sonic Adventure: Deluxe which was a port of Sonic Adventure for Sega Dreamcast
>>
File: uA80v.jpg (676KB, 2657x1740px) Image search: [Google]
uA80v.jpg
676KB, 2657x1740px
>>4228210
What about SADX?
>>
>>4232538
Sonic and Shadow's final levels.
>>
File: Sonic_150.png (216KB, 464x832px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_150.png
216KB, 464x832px
>>4232548
Would be perfect if Sonic didn't look so fucking weird.
>>
>>4232548
Ehhhh... color scheme for the background is alright, but as >>4232560 says, Sonic looks kinda janky - might be the early 00's cgi lighting
>>
>>4225865
i don't like SA2 because it was the beginning of sonic being turned into a guest star in his own games
>>
>>4232012
literally all other missions were cakewalks compared to it

except maybe the Core and Biolizard
>>
>>4232538
First level of Sonic

I feel that the level is so easy if you don't go through it perfectly it will just give you an E-rank right then and there
>>
>>4228210
Though Rouge and Knuckles look like they want to fuck each other.
>>
>>4232524
>Honestly, though not perfect, SA1 probably has the best story out of any of the 3D games.
The flaws are a little much to me. If Eggman's goal was to level Station Square and build Robotnikland on the rubble, why didn't he just use his missiles in the first place, instead of as a backup? He also had *TWO* Egg Carriers, that's enough firepower to fell a city.
>>
>>4232675
Well, they do.
>>
>>4232912
Because he would have had an extremely powerful monster that literally destroyed a civilization at his beck and call, so he wouldn't need to stop at Station Square.
>>
I don't suppose playing Sonic Adventure with a keyboard is at all viable? I'd prefer not to have to order a controller.
>>
>>4232598

>might be the early 00's cgi lighting

It's more like 'no lighting'. For whatever reason they didn't port over the lighting engine from the Dreamcast version and instead went for a white orb that moves around the character model depending on where the camera is, creating the shiny, janky effect. That was 'next gen' at the time I guess.
>>
>>4231345
>>4232341
Dreamcast Conversion - Sonic Adventure DX mod

>The interactive Chao Race Entry room from the Dreamcast version has been restored, complete with animations and objects! You can walk around the room like in the original game, and the SADX menu for Chao Race will be loaded when you push the button in the center of the room

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sadx-dreamcast-conversion/news/update-7-and-wrapping-up-the-dreamcast-project

https://dcmods.unreliable.network/owncloud/data/PiKeyAr/files/Changelog.txt
>>
>>4232341
>DX versions are missing the exclusive type of lighting Dreamcast had to make the game look realistic and nice, are buggier than the Dreamcast version (which is already buggy enough too, just less than Sonic 2006), have crappy sound effects, have characters' models that look plastic and too shiny, and have changed textures where some of them don't fit and never were needed to be replaced.
Maybe it were for policy reasons? I know there's some consoles that required a certain amount of new/changed content if a title developed for it was a port. I can't remember which it was.
>>
I can't play Amy's levels because being constantly pursued by something, even in a video game, stresses me the fuck out to an unhealthy extreme.
>>
How do I exit Better Sonic Adventure? Closing Steam doesn't do it, and quit game just takes me back to the title screen. I can alt-tab out of it, but it's still running and I can't get to my desktop.
>>
>>4235851
Alt+F4?
>>
>>4235851
Kill it through task manager.
>>
File: EAAAGGGGHH!!.png (9KB, 500x719px) Image search: [Google]
EAAAGGGGHH!!.png
9KB, 500x719px
>>4231709
>i can do it in 5
This made me so mad back then.
>>
>>4235912
>>4235918
Thanks, I realized there's a full exit game mode in the menu itself, fortunately.

One more stupid question: I can't seem to configure my keyboard controls? Opening the game to configure it through Steam Library only opens the mod manager, and the only input options it gives me are for the mouse. I've figured out most of the key mappings through trial and error, but I need to make some adjustments and see the full list.

My mapping doesn't match the defaults listed in the maual, curiously (attack is the X key for me, for instance, instead of A or D).
>>
>>4235484
Those bee/saw levels in DKC3 would have fucked you up then.
>>
>>4225934
There is a Sonic general on /vg/. It's shit, but I probably didn't have to tell you that.
>>
>>4234163
Not at all.
>>
>>4234163
Doable yes. Not viable though. You will find yourself fighting with the controls and camera with keyboard.
>>
>>4238565
>>4239618
I cleared Sonic's story and my main problem was fucking Sky Deck and constantly falling down to earlier parts of the stage due to mistimed jumps/dashes. Immensely frustrating. Everything else was mostly fine, though.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>4231498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbAhyOWRCqw

At least the music was good
>>
>>4225938
HEEEEERE we go.
there's always some one who acts like the game is a 10/10.
"I never had any control issues or camera problems and the boring gameplay was awesome!"
Fuck off.
>>
>>4226618
>>4226626
Then there is no hope for humanity
>>
>>4230929
I bought the first one on 9-9-99. i felt that the future had arrived and that Sonic games from that point on were going to be grand and exciting

SA2 on day one made me realize I didn't like Sonic anymore...
everything about it is worse. Sonic styled levels are now less than a third of the game and are much more straight forward. You run down a trough hotting speed pads the whole way. Fun

Tails levels now include ZERO flying as he and Eggman are basically longer, more tedious versions of the Gamma levels in SA1.

Knuckles' levels are longer and the way it works is that you have to find each emerald piece IN ORDER. Doesn't matter if you run past the other pieces, your radar will only direct you toward one at a time.

The story is also retarded as fuck if that matters to you in a Sonic game.
>>
we can only dream of better sa2
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.