[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think Elite holds up? I'm interested in playing it,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png (2KB, 256x248px) Image search: [Google]
BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png
2KB, 256x248px
Do you think Elite holds up? I'm interested in playing it, but I have pretty much no idea what to do aside from flying aimlessly.
>>
File: Elite - Box art.jpg (685KB, 1920x2722px) Image search: [Google]
Elite - Box art.jpg
685KB, 1920x2722px
>>4225787
Depends on what your preferences are. If you need a strong, story-driven or mission based narrative, you're out of luck (although the novella that came with the game is a nice touch). Most versions do have a couple of missions which are interesting, but they are very few and non-repeatable.

If you enjoy free-roaming and exploring, it's for you, as long as you don't mind everything looking the same (some versions will at least have some minor variation, like different coloured planets).

In my last playthrough, I aimed to achieve --- ELITE --- status and make 1 million credits. By the time I completed those two goals, I had pretty much seen all the game has to offer and was completely satiated by it. I'm not gonna lie, it does get very repetitive, but combat is still fun even later on, especially once you can afford a full set of military lasers and venture into anarchic systems.

Another optional goal would be to visit each of the 8 galaxies once, but it's only a matter of money and rather laughable if you've already earned 1 mill cr, so I never bothered.
>>
>>4225948
Isn't Oolite just a graphical "upgrade" of Elite?
>>
>>4227438
Pretty much. Elite: The new Kind is also a good way to play the game on modern hardware.
>>
elite 2 frontier is a bit better and has a remake called pioneer that's pretty playable
>>
>>4228910
I really like the unshaded polygon graphics from Frontier. They're beautiful. However I never really got into the game, switching from the arcade-y flying and fighting to the more realistic simulation approach kinda ruined the fun for me. I see why they did it, but the gameplay never really was appealing to me.

It's a shame though, because landing, multi-planetary systems, moons etc were great additions I sorely missed in Elite (I know, not technically feasible at the time, but I dreamed about Elite with those things in it).
>>
Yup, but play the modern ports of it.
I recommend the one for GBA.
>>
File: giving_heart.png (3KB, 379x426px) Image search: [Google]
giving_heart.png
3KB, 379x426px
>>4231312
Nice, that's the one I usually recommend. Sunk countless hours into it.

I always thought it was a really obscure thing to know, how'd you discover it?
>>
>>4225787
I made some self-imposed challenges which are similar to campaign objectives. You can read them at the bottom: https://pastebin.com/CgkRM05Q
>>
I liked LineWars II but nobody seems to remember it
>>
>>4231312
>>4231746
I too love the GBA port
It's the easiest way to get into the game and the controls are great

Also you can choose original wireframe graphics or flat shaded models
>>
>>4227438
It has some technical features make it play a little different.

Elite's world is player centric, and encounters with other ships are basically random spawns, with the system tending to spawn hostile ships. Thus, in elite, you end up getting mass locked by combat encounters that are fun.

Oolite's world is not player-centric, so all spawns are along a specific flight corridor between the witchpoint and the planet, and the system tends to favour spawning non-hostiles. This results in 2 things:

1) in oolite, if you fly along the "corridor", youll get mass locked a billion times by traders who are often going in the same direction as you, thus making for a slow game.

2) you can avoid all spawns entirely by climbing at 90° as soon as you enter a system. This takes you out of the "corridor", and makes for a tedious and boring game.

This single issue is oolite's achilles heel, but the fact that oolite is extensible and has a ton of OXPs kinda makes up for it.
>>
>>4225787
>I have pretty much no idea what to do aside from flying aimlessly
That's fine because it's all you'll ever do
>>
>>4231746
Sorry for being late, bby.

It's kind of a complex story, but
basically it's because I wanted to
play Elite on PSP without
playing at 2 FPS (NES version).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.