[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Nintendo had added "Blast Processing" to the SNES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: Blast-Processing.jpg (48KB, 597x439px) Image search: [Google]
Blast-Processing.jpg
48KB, 597x439px
If Nintendo had added "Blast Processing" to the SNES from the beginning would the 4th Gen still have been a close contest?
>>
There was no such thing as "blast processing", it was just a marketing term to point out that the Genesis had a faster processor.

The SNES outperformed the Genesis in almost every other technical aspect, though.
>>
>>4225430
then why did lots of SNES games have to rely on external chips in the carts to do anything complex?
>>
>>4225439
Salt from SNES fanboys incoming. Take cover
>>
>>4225439
Same reason the Genesis eneded two gailed periphreals
>>
>>4225430
Look out, boys. We've got a Blast Processing denier here.
>>
Look at games released on both consoles, Genesis/MD was not any smoother. SNES/SFC came out after it and was a more powerful machine, TG16/PCE and G/MD were only able to crack Nintendo's sheer dominance of by far the biggest consumer market in the world at the time with having better graphics.

So marketing had to figure out something catchy to convince people that the G/MD was still a more powerful console. "Blast processing" was ingenious.
>>
File: 1108089-92754_alnjty.jpg (24KB, 480x337px) Image search: [Google]
1108089-92754_alnjty.jpg
24KB, 480x337px
death of SEGA best day of my life
>>
>>4225448
it helped that it generally had more dynamic and impressive games. Sonic is undeniably more kinetic than probably anything on the SNES.
>>
>>4225430
Blast Processing meant faster memory, you could load a lot of stuff into it real fast, someone from marketing heard the tech guy use the word blast and coined the new term
>>
>>4225451
>dynamic and impressive
Dynamic maybe, but SMW 2: YI blows Sonic 2 out of the water.

>>4225452
>an American marketing guy was overheard a Japanese tech guy somehow talking in English about the hardware

That's almost as stupid as "my uncle works at Nintendo ".
>>
>>4225461
>That's almost as stupid as "my uncle works at Nintendo ".
You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, eh?
>"So during the runup to the western launch of Sega-CD the PR guys interviewed me about what made the platform interesting from a technical standpoint and somewhere in there I mentioned the fact that you could just “blast data into the DAC’s” Well they loved the word ‘blast’ and the next thing I knew Blast Processing was born. Oy.”
http://twinfinite.net/2015/11/blastprocessingexsega/
>>
>>4225467
Would you look at that. Meh, I know this is 4chan but I apologize for being a prick.
>>
>>4225461
>SMW 2: YI blows Sonic 2 out of the water
Well, that had an external chip.
>>
>>4225461
yoshi's island is awful. the momentum and pinball like quality really put sonic a generation ahead of every platformer nintendo had.
>>
>>4225430
lol right and the earth is round huh
>>
File: 1504015324875.jpg (55KB, 460x465px) Image search: [Google]
1504015324875.jpg
55KB, 460x465px
>>4225461
>Yoshis island
Wew i am laffin
>>
>>4225426
Yes because Sega Genesis still had mature/uncensored games.

>>4225461
Wrong because SMW 2: YI sucked and it had a crying baby Mario. Who the fuck came up with that shit? It's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>4225426

You mean if Nintendo didn't completely jew out on the CPU and go for a 10mhz processor like originally planned? The Genesis would have still made a splash with Sonic but then faded away probably.
>>
>>4225529
Is it bad that I can't tell whether this is bait or genuin autism?
>>
File: 1375803055525.png (16KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
1375803055525.png
16KB, 320x200px
>>4225448
>Look at games released on both consoles, Genesis/MD was not any smoother.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ4fBNrYeIilG4RtNdiGsOYIZBPyAFE7b
>>
>>4225439
Better to have FX Chips in games that need them than shit like a 32x which will require you to also buy a dedicated power strip to use and have no good games developed for it.
>>
>>4225474
SMW2>Sonic CD
and that required a prehiphreal.
>>
>>4226451
>watched some of the examples
I'm not sure what you think you've proven...
>>
>>4226564
You have it backwards, it's...

Sonic CD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SMW2
>>
>>4225529
>Sega Genesis
>Uncensored/Mature games
Lay off the drugs, anon.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?17551-Sega-and-Censorship
From the fingers of the saddest Sega Genesis fansite on the internet.

Inb4: The console had censored games before the Night Trap controversy. Renovation removed and changed a lot of shit in the Genesis version of Exile.

Also, this is the same console that has Crystal's Pony Tale and a censored Mc Donald game. Mature games my ass,
>>
>>4225426
It wasn't just hardware that was the issue, it was escaping Nintendo's draconian policies. Sega was the first one to provide a viable alternative to the awful Nintendo hegemony.
>>
>>4226669
You've obviously never played Splatterhouse 2 & 3 or Robocop Vs Terminator on the Sega Genesis. Blood, blood everywhere!!!
>>
>>4226652
Apparently that your brain by seeing more colors is fooled into thinking it's seeing more frames. If you're a fighting game player you should be able to see the difference instantly watching the SF2 or MK videos because you'll have frame-specific reactions.
>>
>>4226701
Read what I posted. This doesn't change anything.

Also, you look like those kids that consider themselves mature just because they play GTA or Cowadoody.
>>
>>4226728
That's pretty much the mindset a lot of these guys got into in the 90's, but some never got out of it.
>>
>>4225426
If by blast processing, you mean the DMA scanline trick, the SNES can do that too. Just a lot slower since its DMA isn't as fast as the Genesis.

If by blast processing you mean a faster CPU, well Nintendo there is some word that Nintendo was planning to put a 10mhz Motorola 68000 instead of the 3mhz 16-bit 6502 that they eventually put in. The 68000 would have certainly made the SNES a much more powerful console.

I doubt either of these would have made a different. In the end, hardware power had very little to do with the outcome of the 16-bit war. SNES won worldwide purely because of a virtual monopoly in Japan, and Genesis was strong in Western countries due to a combination of Nintendo censorship, Nintendo fucking around with third parties, or Nintendo just not giving a shit (like in most PAL countries).
>>
>>4227363
So What would it take to turn a Genesis into a Neo Geo system?
Don't they have similar 68000s was it all the ram?
>>
>>4227401
Neo Geo has a much more powerful VDP chip and much higher bandwidth data buses. You can blast a serious amount of data straight from the cartridge into the VDP on Neo Geo.
>>
>>4227410
Oh ok, I heard that if you want to learn assembly you should start with 68000 assembly because it is less esoteric and more predictable.
Was the SNES's 6502 harder to program for?
>>
>>4227420
The real advantage of the 68000 is it's one of the oldest processors that works well with the C language. Something older like the 6502 will still work with C but not without a hefty performance penalty.

If you just want to learn assembly it doesn't really matter. But the 68000 will be easier since it's more "modern" as you've got lots of large registers to play with and a much more flexible instruction set.
>>
>>4226652
What looks smoother, this
https://youtu.be/fL81XjT_xxQ?t=3m18s
or this
https://youtu.be/yiFV_-ENxjc?t=3m2s
>>
>>4225430

It was a marketing term for the fact that the Genesis had a 16 bit bus, which is why it could transfer large amounts of data in and out of memory rapidly. The SNES was hindered by its 8 bit bus, which is why Uniracers can get the same feeling of speed as Sonic the Hedgehog, but has to sacrifice all the detail in the background to do it. Less graphical complexity reduces the load on the bus.
>>
>>4225445
Sega never actually existed
>>
>Muh Blasting Processing
>The fanboys actually don't even know what the hell it really meant
For God's sake, you guys are sad.

http://gamingbolt.com/the-man-who-created-the-term-blast-processing-is-sorry-that-he-ever-did
>>
>>4225426

that would have been great, it would have made gradius 3 playable
>>
>>4225475
That is a very foolish opinion
>>
>>4229534

Nah, I tend to agree with him. I loved (and beat) the first three Super Mario games, and I thought Super Mario World was good, though not as good as the NES games.
Yoshi's Island, though, kinda sucked. It was irritating and gimmicky.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.