[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone else think this stage felt kinda out of place? Also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: stage2a.gif (19KB, 480x448px) Image search: [Google]
stage2a.gif
19KB, 480x448px
Did anyone else think this stage felt kinda out of place?

Also Classicvania general. Discuss your favorite game, least favorite, and shit on each other's tastes.
>>
>clock tower out of place in a castlevania game
In any case it WAS out of the way.
>>
In this case it literally was out of the way as going there meant taking a relatively pointless detour and you had to climb up AND down from there. At least recruiting Grant let you take some shortcuts in few stages but IMO not really worth taking the long detour that led nowhere.
>>
>>4222831
Well Grant is the game's easy mode, I thought offering a small detour at the beginning of the game that lets you turn on easy mode was a genius design decision.
>>
>>4222807
I just beat Castlevania 1 an hour ago
How is Castlevania II? I keep hearing bad things about it, but I'm trying to remain optimistic.
>>
>>4222836
I think people overrate Grant and him being some kind of god mode in CV3. Pic related, by taking the detour to get Grant allows you to skip 3 screens in middle of this one map is the biggest advantage of getting Grant I can think of.

I mean if you choose go to the swamp level instead instead of the forest one you'll get Alucard who can take more and bigger shortcuts than Grant like flying through that one area you'd otherwise had to wait forever for the blocks falling from sky to pile up. Sure you could take Grant to this path but he'd be practically useless there which leads back to the other main path of the game where Grant is only great for skipping those 3 screens at the level on the pic.
>>
>>4222841
It's widely agreed on as the best in the series, where the hell did you see people shitting on it?
>>
>>4222905
nvm, thought you typed III
>>
>>4222891
Grant can cheese most bosses in the JP version.
>>
>>4222841
I think the concept of it was really great.
>>
>>4222891

Grant is god mode if you master using him.

>Sure you could take Grant to this path but he'd be practically useless

wrong. besides the falling blocks, Grant is extremely useful on stage 7. Overall Grant is more useful in the Alucard route than he is on the Sypha route.

>>4223028

Holy water can cheese bosses in the US version (even more than it can in the Jap version)
>>
>>4222841
It's shit, anon. Avoid it like the plague.

Instead of just being an action platformer, they tried to make it into an adventure RPG like Zelda 2, but it kinda failed miserably because all they did was make tons of shit confusing and cryptic, and require you to grind currency for hours and hours from bland and generic enemies, to buy items you need to progress.
>>
File: 9.jpg (58KB, 772x305px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
58KB, 772x305px
>>4223216
>holy water
>REEEEEEEEEEEE!

You mean Sacred Water!
>>
>>4222807
I felt quite the opposite way. I feel its possibly the most iconic stage in the entire franchise. It's what I immediately first think of when I reflect on the series, and the fact that the recent Netflix animation featured an homage to it in the form of the giant clockwork section proves I'm not the only one.
>>
>>4222841

Great concept and strange atmosphere, but poorly designed. The mansions are unfun, bosses suck, and grinding for hearts to buy stuff also doesn't help the pace.

I almost liked it. The weird desolate atmosphere, the townspeople who often don't like Simon Belmont, and Castlevania's remains as a build up to the end.
>>
>>4223291
No one will argue clock tower is not iconic, it's just weird how they made it the second stage in that game.
>>
>>4223386

Then there's another one in the castle itself. Makes sense considering the first clock tower isn't part of the castle, but it's weird having two uniquely designed clock towers (no clones like SOTN or HOD).
>>
I loved that stage desu. One of my favorites in the series.
>>
>Dracula X has the coolest-looking clocktower
>It's a fucking chore to play through
I wanted to like that game real bad.
>>
>>4222841

It's cool and you should try it. It has various flaws that may or may not destroy your enjoyment. It's good enough that if you happen to be tolerant of its particular set of flaws then you'll maybe like it a lot. And if you hate it you can just move on to Castlevania III, which is awesome.
>>
>>4222807
I thought the stage fit in perfectly well with everything else, especially with all the fucking asshole bats and shit.

I gotta say though, I always lose my shit in frustration at the jumps later. I know you have to watch out for the overhead platform but that doesn't make it any less annoying.
>>
File: 1470467642525.png (330KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
1470467642525.png
330KB, 480x600px
>>4223290
>Warakiya
>>
Give me a character tier list of the Japanese version. Thanks.

I heard that Grant is stronger than his non-Japanese counterpart because his knives are projectiles.

Also heard that Alucard is better in the Japanese version, I think.
>>
>>4229837
Combat:
Sypha > Grant JP > Trevor > Grant US > Alucard

Platforming:
Grant > Alucard > Trevor = Sypha
>>
>>4222841
There's a hack that fixes most of the bullshit, making it my favorite NES Castlevania. Go play that one.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/912/
>>
>>4230618
fuck off shill
>>
>>4223281
Nein

Starting hearts 50

Holy water 50
White Crystal 50
Best whip 200
(I like to pick up the chain whip, it s on the way and it makes things quicker, 150)
Total 550-50=500

Small heart=2
Half=4
Full=6

The game could be completed with as little as 40 kills

You don t need the holy water at all
You start with enough hearts to buy a crystal that you trade for all the other crystals you need

Fyou need the flame to kill Dracula but you can use his mail to break the blocks instead of holy water

It needs a good hack and some polish though for sure

I consider HOD Simon's Quest part 2
>>
>>4222807
Out of place, no. In the WRONG place, yes. Isn't the clock tower supposed to show up towards the end of the game?
>>
>>4229837
Sypha with the orb spell breaks the game
>>
>>4230691
>I consider HOD Simon's Quest part 2
Why that game and not the infinitely superior whipmania, CotM?
>>
>>4222819
ehh
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.