[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any Game Boy ports of console games that are better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: Game_Boy.png (59KB, 250x420px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Boy.png
59KB, 250x420px
Are there any Game Boy ports of console games that are better than the original? The only example I can think of is Castle Quest.
>>
The controls feel more fluid than in Soloman's Key.
>>
>>4222383
Daikatana.
>>
Dr. Mario.
The code in the NES version is a copy & paste mess which results in you getting exactly the pill you don't need seven times in a row, while the GB version has a true RNG to their pill generation.
>>
>>4222383
Ninja Turtles 1 for the Game Boy was definitely better than Ninja Turtles 1 on the NES.
>>
There was a port of Quest 64 for the GBC that ended up being a better game.
>>
>>4222389
The stone guy in the middle of the box cover makes me think of a golem.
>>
>>4222383
Not a direct port by any means, but megaman 1 for NES has next to nothing on GB Megaman: Dr. Wily's Revenge(which I have a working physical copy of).
>>
>>4222383
GB Pocket>GB original model
>>
>>4222472
>which I have a working physical copy of
Is that an accomplishment? Just got one for 10 bucks.
>>
File: 46722_front[1].jpg (99KB, 640x641px) Image search: [Google]
46722_front[1].jpg
99KB, 640x641px
>>
File: GBDonkeyKongTitle.png (11KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
GBDonkeyKongTitle.png
11KB, 256x224px
>>4222383
>>
>>4222383
Technically I guess Game & Watch Gallery counts as a port.
>>
>>4222820
kinda hard to say it's better than original donkey kong in the arcades, that was a platformer and this is a puzzle game
>>
Mega Man :^)
>>
Dragon Quest 1-3, debatable though
>>
>>4222820

This game really needed its own fucking title.
>>
>>4222383
I thought most were. the megaman games. being limited and coming out later than their originals meant the devs had more experience, and were forced to make the games more compelling and rely less on graphical fidelity to sell it.
>>
>>4222383
It's not a port but Metroid 2 was a significant improvement over Metroid in every way except for screen space
>>
File: bionicgbj.jpg (105KB, 640x742px) Image search: [Google]
bionicgbj.jpg
105KB, 640x742px
Bionic Commando on Gameboy is better than both the arcade and NES versions. Better grappling and swinging controls, better art direction (screams late 80's anime style like Masamume Shirow's manga or Bubblegum Crisis), and has an insanely good soundtrack for a Gameboy game, better than the NES soundtrack.
>>
>>4222974
>has an insanely good soundtrack for a Gameboy game
>for a Gameboy
What do you mean?
>>
Donkey Kong Land 3
>>
File: gfs_70123_2_3.jpg (19KB, 320x285px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_70123_2_3.jpg
19KB, 320x285px
>Dig Dug
It's an arranged version of the arcade original. Stages now require you to find keys to unlock the exit, and you have environmental hazards such as rolling boulders that you can use to defeat your enemies.

Cheapest way to get this is through Namco Gallery Vol. 2. The stand-alone version of the game is too expensive on the reseller market.

>Bomberman
Arguably an improvement in some ways. It was included in Atomic Punk / Bomber Boy as an alternate play mode. It's technically a watered down port, but the smaller stages make things a little more sane. Of course, the NES version just looks better due to having color.

>Tetris 2
Includes a puzzle mode not found in the NES version. The graphics are more detailed in some ways, but less in others. The game was designed with the monochrome GB in mind, so the pieces look a bit awkward in grayscale. However, I believe there's a Super Game Boy palette and some SGB borders. Get the Japanese version (Tetris Flash) if you want a nicer title screen.

>>4222406
Sad, but true.

>>4222416
I guess I'll also throw Yoshi's Cookie in there. It's almost identical to the NES version, but what's not to love about portability?

>>4222850
Dragon Quest III did include a lot of extras, like the personality system and medal collecting. You would certainly get your money's worth with this port.

>>4222974
Wasn't the GB version universally censored?
>>
>>4223656
>Dragon Quest III did include a lot of extras, like the personality system and medal collecting.
Those were in the SNES DQIII remake, which is presumably what the GB DQIII is based on.
>>
>>4223681
>Those were in the SNES DQIII remake

Which was never released in English. I'm just assuming people might want access to an officially localized version in their language.

DQ3 for GBC was rated T, so it's doubtful there's any typical Nintendo censorship going on there.
>>
>>4223656
>Wasn't the GB version universally censored?
Not sure what you mean, if you're talking about no exploding Hitler head, the story is slightly different to accommodate the new art style, it follows similar level layouts and has the grappling mechanic, but it's a different game in many ways. Can't really "censor" something if it was never intended to be in the game anyway.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.