[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>genesis model 1 >sega cd >genesis model 2 >sega

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 15

File: 300px-MDAdd-ons.jpg (9KB, 300x210px) Image search: [Google]
300px-MDAdd-ons.jpg
9KB, 300x210px
>genesis model 1
>sega cd
>genesis model 2
>sega cd 2
>32x
>nomad
>genesis model 3
>tons and tons of misc models
was THIS necessary?
>>
No, but what is that thing on the left?
>>
>>4221793
some karaoke thing
>>
>>4221791
i guess Sega didn't want to go through the whole trouble of making a whole new console every 4 or 5 years, little did they know that itd cost them the console market.
>>
It wasn't necessary, but props to Sega for designing such a solid platform open to so much expansion and options. It's important to realize just because it can have all these accessories doesn't mean you need to get them all.
>>
>>4221791
>Complaining about the countless accessories the Genesis had
>No one is forcing you to get all this.

Honestly you only needed 1 or 3 of the items, not all of them. For example...

Have a Model 1 Sega Genesis? Buy the following...

>Model 1 Sega CD
>32X

Have the model 2 Sega Genesis? Buy the following...
>Model 2 Sega CD
>32X

Have the model 3 Sega Genesis? No need to buy the additional add-ons since it's incompatible.

Have the Sega Nomad? No need to buy the add-ons since it's incompatible.

>tons and tons of misc models
From third party companies that don't count.
>>
>>4221832
anon obviously I'm not complaining that they exist, I'm just questioning why Sega thought that it was in anyway a good way to try and fragment their market
>>
>>4221791
Can you add even more addons to it?
>>
File: wojak.jpg (17KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
17KB, 800x450px
>>4221832
>yfw Model 1 Genesis and Model 2 Sega CD

Life is suffering
>>
>>4221865
>wojak.jpg
>obvious lie from a faggot who doesn't know what he's talking about
SUMMER
IS
OVER

OVERRR
>>
>>4221872
>implying

Nigger I've had them for literally decades
>>
>>4221840
Ah, I see. Kinda like how Steam thought it was a good idea to put out various Steam machines to try to compete with consoles, even though it was confusing to consumer, making it pointless. I don't know what was going inside Gabe Newell's head. But at least with Sega, I knew what I was buying the accessories for. But you're right, it was fragmenting their market.

>>4221865
The model 1 Sega Genesis doesn't look good with the model 2 Sega CD. Which is why I suggested it the way that I did.
>>
>>4221906
>The model 1 Sega Genesis doesn't look good with the model 2 Sega CD

I agree. I'm just too lazy to pick up a Model 2 and do things the right way.

Back when I was a kid I had a 32X in the mix, too, which was about the most awkward-looking thing in the world.
>>
>>4221906
Please drop your snarky reddit attitude anon. You can't deny that releasing all that genesis hardware, at lest three of them amid the US release of the Saturn or close to it, fragmented and convoluted Sega's console market considerably
>>
>>4221916
I agree, it definitely looked awkward with how it stacks on top of the Genesis, looking like a mushroom cloud. Which makes me iffy about buying one at some point, it might not look that good with my model 1 Sega Genesis.

>>4221920
>snarky reddit attitude
With my comment about Gabe Newell & his failed Steam machines? And I agree it was a mistake for Sega to release the 32X close to the Sega Saturn launch. I blame that on Sega Of America.
>>
>>4221793
>but what is that thing on the left?
Mega-CD Karaoke, the japanese just can't seem to get enough karaoke even back then.
>>
File: 56k.jpg (42KB, 800x293px) Image search: [Google]
56k.jpg
42KB, 800x293px
>>4221791

Forgot the modem.
>>
>>4222421
apparently a few games supported direct dial, so if you REALLY want to play Cyberball with someone and you both have early Model 1 Genesises, landlines (or one of those Linksys voip systems that all the Netlink people use now I guess), copies of the game, and either a region mod or a Game Genie to unlock the modem settings page you can have fun that way I guess
>>
>>4221865
They released a plastic extension that plugs into the empty gap to look more pleasant.
>>
>>4222546
I thought it was included? Either way, I have one for my Model 1/Model 2/32X monstrosity.

I don't want to put up with the motor on the model 1 so whatever, I'll have the widest system.

Personally I think Sega just fucked up making a console the way you would an arcade. It made sense for them to burn cash on R&D for the arcade market, where having the newest and best stuff was a big deal. It didn't make as much sense in consoles, where you were expected to sell a console and then support it for years. Sega did that, but selling tons of accessories and remodels just confused things, and didn't help them get ahead the way it would have in an arcade setting.

But then you have to remember that it wasn't just the Genesis, they did tons of 8-bit consoles too. At one point in the 90s they were more or less supporting 8 different pieces of hardware across numerous different formats and varying sets of supported software. It was just too much.
>>
>>4221935
I hate haha posts

haha
>>
>>4222546
I'm pretty sure that piece was included. It would be pointless to sell it as a separate accessory.
>>
File: CDX.jpg (513KB, 1128x635px) Image search: [Google]
CDX.jpg
513KB, 1128x635px
reminder these do work
>>
>>4223865
You've tested them?
>>
>>4223868
These are my photos so yeah.

The Power Base Converter was designed for the Genesis 1 but will fit on a CDX. The 32X works fine in a CDX too regardless of the "not released adapter" talk.
>>
>>4223871
Ah. You're lucky to own a CDX.
>>
The difference between the Model 1 and 2 was that they revised the sound chips into an ASIC, and switched a bunch of the output from an 8-pin DIN port to a 9-pin mini-DIN that had stereo sound that you didn't have to plug headphones in to hear. Essentially, the Model 2 was to streamline the Model 1.

SEGA made the SEGA CD an add-on so they could increase the sales of the Genesis while also technically selling a new system, to. Also, two SEGA CD models because they knew that it would be stupid to demand that their new CD add-on to be exclusive to only one model of their main console; not to mention that the Model 2 also had hardware revisions to make it last longer.

The 32x happened because Sega Japan and Sega America were at each other's throats and making really fucking stupid decisions.

The Nomad was made because SEGA thought that having a portable Genesis would kill the Game Boy.

The Genesis 3 was basically the first officially licensed knock-off console.
>>
File: 1278139169354.jpg (19KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
1278139169354.jpg
19KB, 350x263px
So, what would have happened if SEGA had just made a single mega console that had the functionality of the Genesis, CD, and 32x in a one box?

I have a feeling that that would have been the better route than the 32x/Saturn debacle.
>>
File: don_img_0700.jpg (56KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
don_img_0700.jpg
56KB, 640x425px
>>4224046
That was the idea behind the cancelled Sega Neptune.
>>
>>4224059
The Neptune was just a stand-alone 32x, though. I'm talking about a single box console that has a CD-tray on the bottom and a single cartridge slot up top tha can play all Genesis, 32x, and CD games.
>>
>>4224068
Would probably still tank like a piece of shit in retail because all the kids wanted playstations.
>>
>>4224046
>what would happen if instead of just an addon, they made a whole new console lmao
are you dumb?
>>
>>4224078
I love how the Playstation was made to kill Nintendo, but ended up only kiling SEGA because the American and Japanese offices had crippled the company so badly with their dick measuring contests.
>>
The main reason i sold my Model 2 for a Model one years ago was for the superior sound chip, it was like night and day.
I also modded it for s-video which looks amazing
sadly im still stuck with a model 1 attached to mode 2 SegCD
>>
>>4224090
That's just ONE of their many fuck ups in an ocean of piss and shit.
>>
>>4221791
It looks like an expensive twin gear vegetable juicer.
>>
>>4224113
Are Model 1 CDs that rare?
>>
File: IMG_0148.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0148.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>4224169
I'm not sure, I've just had the same model 2 and 32x that my cousin gave me 10 years ago which he got new back in the 90s. I suppose I could buy a model 1 but for now I'm stuck with what i got
>>
>>4221906
The steam machines were probably just licencing, meaning it made steam money anyway, plus the extra publicity. It's one way to let normie know you exist in retail space.
>>
>>4224046
I want that!!!
>>
>>4224090
The only reason Nintendo is surviving these days is because of artificial scarcity.
>>
>>4224228
Licensing or not, the Steam machines failed to take over the console market, especially with how over priced their Steam machines were.
>>
>>4224281
Oh yeah they failed hard, but steam still got money and publicity.
>>
>>4221791
>was THIS necessary?
Yes has over time the newer models came out which made the Genesis cheaper to manufacturer thereby cheaper for the consumer to get ahold of.

So while the sega 32x was unneeded bullshit the revisions of the console were a good idea even thou the original looks the best.
>>
>>4223903
i got one too, but i don't have a power brick for it
fucking pissed too as those shits are EXPENSIVE for a power supply, i can't use the damn thing
>>
>>4224562
Yeah, I hate those power bricks. I had to use an extension cord to plug in my Sega Genesis & SNES onto the same Power Strip. I wish they would stop using power bricks, or at least do what Microsoft did with their plug for the Xbox 360.
>>
>>4221791
>genesis model 3
Wasn't this just some regional third party thing?
>>
>>4224276
>artificial scarcity meme
Look; I know that wanting Nintendo to go out of business is a low ball hate-meme, but at least just say that you think they have shitty games or are terrible soulless monsters. They don't make extra money off of scalpers.
>>
File: Keep-Dreaming-Poster-01.jpg (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Keep-Dreaming-Poster-01.jpg
136KB, 1280x720px
>>4224732
>Implying Nintendo aren't scalpers themselves.
Keep Dreaming™ This message was brought to you by the Sega Corporation©.
>>
File: 1452828602302.png (606KB, 979x682px) Image search: [Google]
1452828602302.png
606KB, 979x682px
>>4224764
>we will never experience another real console war like the days of Genesis vs Nintendo again

>all arguments over who's the better console are literally just pointless memes when the big two are simply crippled PCs with no real difference between the two
>>
>>4221791
It still doesn't have as many models as the 3ds.
>>
>>4224886
>Base model
>Improved board model

>more models

Please don't tell me that you think that every single colour and limited edition case counts as a separate model...
>>
>>4224949
You're forgetting they went and made every possible permutation of 3d/2d, new/old and XL/regular.
>>
>>4224959
Isn't the 2D literally just the 3D with the slider removed? That's like genuinely counting the Nomad as the Genesis 2.5 or numbering all the Genesis + CD combos.

And we're not going to get THAT pedantic, are we?
>>
>>4224968
It's actually completely different, it's like a tablet rather than a clamshell design.
>>
>>4224969
But it has the exact same board, right? Just with the 3D slider missing?

Or is it actually an entirely new system; board and all?
>>
>>4224974
I have no idea my dude, let's just say I'm wrong
>>
>>4224974
If you're talking about the 2DS, the internal design is totally different and so is the hardware (it's a solid, single-piece unit where the 3DS is a clamshell unit).

And then there's the New 2DS XL, which is like a New 3DS XL, except it has no 3D, and a new body design, and then you have the New 3DS, which is smaller than a New 3DS XL but has the same featureset, and then there's still the original 3DS and 3DS XL, which are on the same power point as the 2DS but have 3D support.

Also the New 3DS (non-XL) never saw release in the US beyond special limited edition bundles and packages.

The total number of 3DS is:

3DS / 3DSXL / 2DS
New 3DS / New 3DSXL / New 2DS XL

or six models

But they all play the same games, they just have different designs and some have more features than others. There are very few games that run only on New 3DS/XL/2DSXL.
>>
>>4224974
Technically, if people are going to count the "new" line, XLs, and 2DS are wholly different interations, then the most current 2DS is basically the Model #10 of the original DS.
>>
>>4221791
>>4224886
They have nothing on the PC Engine line:
>original PC Engine
>PC Engine CoreGrafx
>PC Engine CoreGrafx II
>PC Engine SuperGrafx
>PC Engine LT
>PC Engine Shuttle
>PC Engine GT
>PC Engine Duo
>PC Engine Duo R
>PC Engine Duo RX
>CD-ROM2 System
>Super CD-ROM2
>TurboGrafx-16
>TurboExpress
>TurboDuo
>TurboGrafx-CD
>Vistar 16 (Korean model)
>>
>>4224884
>PS4 & Xbox One
>Not PC's
>Just high end consoles.
But you're right, the console war days were over the moment Sega got out of the hardware business. It hit me hard when that happened, but I knew Sega was already struggling.
>>
>>4224169
Working ones that require no work, are. Last year a friend of mine ended up buying and returning 11 different units on ebay and amazon because none of them functioned properly. He was adamant about getting one that worked he finally gave up on unit 12 and asked me to fix it.
>>
is there any issue with getting a genesis 3 over 1 or 2 other than the expansions and slightly better audio gamble
>>
>>4225049
Zero reason. Genesis model 1 & 2 go for about $40 the sega cd model 2 goes for about $40 as well, 32x goes for about $60. Only the sega cd model 1 is costly, $150-300 for a working unit.
>>
>>4225027
I'm guessing that it's the motorized tray that craps out and then the lens?
>>
>>4225064
Pretty much, also sometimes fuses. I've had my model 1 for years and have had to replace parts several times. I also bout a model 2 recently in case I decide its just not worth it to make the repairs.
>>
>>4221791
Don't forget the Power Base Converter to play Master System games.
>>
>>4225063
Every sega cd model 2 I see goes for $100.
>>
I was lucky and was able to get a Model 1 HDG version for about $20 with controller and games back in 2011. Before the huge SEGA craze started
>>
>>
>>4225487
Really, I see a bunch for 50-80 right now on ebay, just the sega cd. I see a bunch going for 100-130 with the genesis included.
>>
File: IMG_7478.jpg (2MB, 3074x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7478.jpg
2MB, 3074x2448px
Gross
>>
>>4226718
Is this a gore thread now?
>>
>>4226718
Mmm thats hot
Fuck me daddy
>>
File: IMG_7479.jpg (2MB, 3264x2338px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7479.jpg
2MB, 3264x2338px
>>4226748
;) xx
>>
>>4221791
Should Sega CD just been its own console? Give it a cartridge slot so its backwards compatible with Genesis games. Include the original Genesis VDP but fix it so it can display either 128 out of 4096 colors or 256 out of 32768 colors, whatever is easiest (supposedly getting the original Genesis VDP to display 128 out of 4096 was only a matter of slightly increasing the amount of palette cache).

Have at least half of the CD library as "enhanced Genesis games" so you don't fracture the market. Basically make the Sega CD the PS4 Pro of the 16 bit generation. The add-on shit was stupid and wasteful (like in the current configuration, your Genesis + CD has two fucking 68000 CPUs).
>>
>>4227408
>Should Sega CD just been its own console?
Yes absolutely. I have always thought that the sega cd and the 32x being add ons was an excuse by sega to not have to develop a new console.
>>
>>4224706
man, I know I'm late with my reply, but it really activates my almonds when people buy these overpriced power supplies. 3rd party switching warts will work just as fine, or if you don't trust the chinese, you could build your own. I salvaged a 2x9v 1.5A transformer from e-junk, made a graetz rectivier from diodes, and put like 3500uF filtering caps on both rails. Bought DC jacks and soldered it together. I put the whole thing in a (salvaged) PC PSU case, and bang, I got a single power supply which powers both my MD and MCD, and it didn't cost me anything.
>>
File: sonicandknuckles.jpg (35KB, 283x750px) Image search: [Google]
sonicandknuckles.jpg
35KB, 283x750px
Sonic & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles
>>
>>4221803
>>4222417
Holy fuck do any of them still work? I can play the worst Doom port ever and badly sing Froggy Mix in the same sitting?
>>
>>4224202
You have literally all the worst Sega CD games....and Ecco the Dolphin. Actually, that Batman game isn't bad either.
>>
>>4225497
please tell me this bullshit actually works. what happens when you turn it on?
>>
>>4227408
>Should Sega CD just been its own console?
Considering it was mostly parents who bought the systems for their kids I think that would have caused much more confusion than keeping the Sega CD as an add-on.
>Wait, this is their new console? But it plays the old one's games and it's new games don't look all that much better! Billy's current Sega plays most of it's library anyways so why bother getting it?
As opposed to;
>So it's a seperate drive to upgrade the console, just like the one we got for the computer at home/work? Makes sense.
Now there's a chance SEGA could have "forced" the upgrade on consumers by simply making the CD it's own console as you suggested, but I think there would have been a greater risk that it would have caused the CD's sales to have fallen even flatter thanks to an inevitably pricier point of entry.
>PS4 Pro
More like it would have been the New 3DS of it's generation, minus the iPhone upgrade mentality people have these days (and bigger screens, better 3D viewing angles, longer battery life, and other things a home console can't really effect).
>>
>>4227946
The main reason I think it could actually work as a separate console is that it would still be backwards compatible. Sega were really big on backwards compatibility in those days, because they were banking on consumers feeling "safe" that Sega games bought in the past would still function on newer machines, so transitions between systems could be smooth.

Don't get me wrong, a separate Sega CD console would still cost about $399 on release, which is pretty expensive. But at least people new to Sega won't have to buy a Genesis too. Eventually the price would come down and it would replace the Genesis as the main system.
>>
>>4227962
*meant to write $299
>>
Not to mention the LaserActive, JVC X-Eye and the CDX
>>
>>4227946
>Considering it was mostly parents who bought the systems for their kids I think that would have caused much more confusion than keeping the Sega CD as an add-on.
The problem with Genesis and its add ons, is no one did it before. It likely did confuse some parents. Console companies really should hit normies in the face with information, telling them exactly what they are selling. Hell look what happened a few years ago, with the Wii U, parents thought it was an add on for the Wii, because it wasn't made clear to them.

>Now there's a chance SEGA could have "forced" the upgrade on consumers by simply making the CD it's own console as you suggested, but I think there would have been a greater risk that it would have caused the CD's sales to have fallen even flatter thanks to an inevitably pricier point of entry.
Still think this would have been the better option. Nintendo wasn't doing add ons or backwards compatibility. Where sega failed is they were aiming at the "edgy" teen demographic, while nintendo aimed for the kid demographic. Games were marketed as a toy, not a game system, back in the 90s due to the game crash of the 80s.
>>
>>4225487
pro-tip, 95% of "broken" sega cd 2s just have a blown fuse (the linear power supply Sega used causes power surges to blow the fuse even if the Genesis is off due to how it turns on automatically), so if you know how to solder you can just replace the fuse and have a fully working console.
>>
File: IMG_0123.jpg (33KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0123.jpg
33KB, 500x339px
>>4225009
>pc engine LT

Mana-sama is perfect!
>>
>>4227408
i think they released it before people noticed much about the snes having more colors, big mistake
>>
>>4227835
I hope you plan on selling those S&K cartridges. You don't need that many.
>>
>>4227584
>you could build your own
I'm not in the business of building things. I'm not a tech guy. Anyways my extension cord does the trick just fine, I can plug two Power Bricks at a time. I just can't have them both on at the same time, for obvious reasons.
>>
File: NES2Twins.jpg (43KB, 358x177px) Image search: [Google]
NES2Twins.jpg
43KB, 358x177px
Revisions and updates are not uncommon among consoles. The model 2 came out several years into the console's lifespan. It's like the NES 2, SNES 2, and PSone. The Sega CD 2 was designed to fit the model 2 better since it was a smaller console. The CD 2 also had fewer moving parts (no drive tray) and was therefore more reliable.

The Nomad was kind of an experiment/proof of concept and was only even released in one region.

The model 3 was a Majesco thing. It wasn't even a real Sega product, and it's not compatible with the add-ons.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.