/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate how fucking filthy 99% of NES games are. Every single

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: not even nes.jpg (83KB, 750x421px) Image search: [Google]
not even nes.jpg
83KB, 750x421px
I hate how fucking filthy 99% of NES games are. Every single one I need to take a fuck load of brasso to the pins and get them shining like they should be.

How do you take care of your cartridges? Normally if the worst they get is a bit dusty alcohol should do the trick, but if you're blowing in them, you are ruining them.
>>
>>4220037
>brasso
Woah, nigga, that's something to use as a LAST resort, not the first thing you go to. Usually just rubbing alcohol and some cloth will do the job. On heavy duty jobs taking a latex-free eraser to the contacts should do it. I've only had onc instance where I needed to more, and that's where there was actual corrosion on the contacts, which I gently scraped away with a razor blade.

You don't need the contacts to shine like they were fresh out of the box in 1989 - just clean enough to, you know, work.
>>
>>4220043
brasso is clean enough to work and keep it working. It's not going to damage anything unless you're a fool with it and rub through the contacts. It's a necessity for NES games because people got their 30 year old spit creating a micro bacterial culture on their cartridges.
>>
>>4220043
Brasso is perfectly fine. I've used it to restore every cartridge in my collection and have had no problems. Even carts that were unplayable after alcohol/windex were recovered
>>
I blow in them.
>>
how to repair the pins on a cartridge? i have like 5 of them rotten to death. Do i need some kind of special conductive paint?
>>
>>4220176
/thread
>>
nintendo runs on carbon dioxide
>>
File: n8-zoom1.jpg (410KB, 975x1280px) Image search: [Google]
n8-zoom1.jpg
410KB, 975x1280px
>>4220037
>buying NES games

You don't have to do that anymore
>>
>>4220227
I'll let you in on a secret, anon. We keep doing it just to piss you off.
>>
I got a box of games from a "collector" that went through with brasso and wiped off the brass coating on the contacts of every game. He was so proud that he got them to "shine like new". The contacts will be quicker to ruin now. Easer + alcohol is all I've ever needed, even for cartridges that were found in a shoebox left outside for 20 years.
>>
>>4220265
brasso won't do any damage to the contacts.
>>
>>4220270
Yes, you idgit, it will. Brasso is an abrasive - it's basically liquid sandpaper. You aren't cleaning the contacts but instead actively stripping them away. Every rub with brasso is effectively removing a few years from a cartridge's lifespan.
>>
>>4220252
YOU BASTARD!
>>
>>4220280
Hey, guess what?

Magic eraser is a far more aggressive abrasive than Brasso.
>>
>>4220280
>>4220270
This. Brasso is abrasive. It's only used in cases of extreme corrosion, to the point where without it, the game will be unplayable otherwise.
>>
>>4220297
Nobody in here advocated using a magic eraser, just regular, school-grade pencil erasers.
>>
>>4220303
Those are abrasive too, chum.

White vinegar gets the job done with the minimum of lasting damage.
>>
>>4220314
Look, I know you just learned the shocking truth that brasso fucks up contacts, and you've damaged lord knows how many of your games when all this time you thought you were cleaning them up like new, but you aren't going to save face by constantly going "Oh yeah? W-well _____ is abrasive too!"
>>
>>4220319
I don't use Brasso, or other abrasives.

I do it the smart way, chemically, with white vinegar.
>>
>>4220037
genesis stuff is the absolute worst because i think mostly poor people owned them in the 90s. everything i've bought has the 20 year old turds of a working class peasant's stupid kid smeared all over it.

meanwhile famicom games are ridiculously cheap and i've never had to clean a single one
>>
>>4220356
This is a bit of a tangent, but Genesis games didn't have that thin plastic film over the labels like Nintendo games had, so finding not even a pristine but just a good conditioned Genesis label is a tall order.
>>
>>4220043
I use brasso, then clean it with isopropyl afterwards. I've never had a problem.
>>
>brasso
Stop using some meme solutions. Get an electrical contact cleaner liquid/spray. WD40 has one in their product range. Wipe with clean isopropyl.
Use products for electrical contacts on electrical contacts
>>
>>4220043
brasso on a cue tip too well down the urethra havn't had a problem yet til August but never hit the wall like I did straight alcohol big ol blister got the car dirty the oxidising upholstery cleaner does the trick but>>4220127
yeah not too much money spent for it too
>>
>>4220356
I've never bought a NES game, but in my experience PAL SNES and Mega Drive games are almost always squeaky clean (although some SNES games have the warning sticker half-torn off), whereas Famicom games are fucking filthy, with black smudges all over, super dirty contacts, and most of them have some kids name written in permanent marker.
>>
>>4220050
Alcohol will easily kill any microbes on the contacts, including any from other people's spit. You're crazy.
>>
>>4221005
Not to mention, nothing microbial from spit is going to survive very long outside the body. If anything it's long dead microbes.
>>
Just use Deoxit, it works like a charm and doesn't damage contacts.
>>
Qtip with isopropyl gets the job done for me. Oddly enough my NES and SNES carts stay pretty clean on their own, though. It's my N64 carts I seem to need to clean constantly
>>
>>4220037
I got myself those Nintendo cartridge screwdrivers, so I open the carts, put masking tape on the label and clean up every filthy corner with a q-tip and some isopropanol.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.