[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are any of the Donkey Kong Land games worth playing? They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Are any of the Donkey Kong Land games worth playing? They look pretty ugly.
>>
>>4219671
Land 1 is only acceptable on a Game Boy Color with preset palette so you can see the sprites. Land 2 is just dumbed down DKC2. Land 3 is a legit good game and the Japanese version has colors.
>>
>>4219671
First one is fun. It's mainly the jungle levels that are ugly. The first level is jungle so people see that and assume the whole game is like that. Notice anyone who posts on here criticizing DKC with an image always posts the same screencap of Jungle Hijinxs.

Second game feels big and empty and ultimately the biggest missed opportunity.

Third one is the best by far. The JP version is a proper GBC game, so it has full color and so on. There is an English patch out there.
>>
3 is legit good. Play the Japanese version, because it has GBC color palettes. The US/EU versions were released 3 years earlier and are monochrome only.
>>
The first two are good if you play them on a GBC/GBA. On a black and white GB it's almost impossible to tell the sprites from the background.
>>
>>4219689
>>4219769
What if I play on a super gb
>>
3 is shit. With a few exceptions, most levels that used the same theme feel completely interchangable. I was disappointed as hell by it as a kid.
1 is good. 2 is good, but it's a dumbed down DKC2 and feels kinda pointless in comparison. I liked it as a kid, but that was largely because I hadn't played DKC2 at the time.
>>
>>4219871
Nice first-time-blog post, where do I subscribe to hear your latest childish rants?
>>
Just play DKC GBC instead, it's basically a perfect port of the SNES game with obviously inferior graphics but it actually adds content which is fun if you don't mind playing on a smaller screen, not even the GBA port was better.

The land games feel like your average demake ports that the GB got of 16 bit games with a lot of stuff missing.
>>
>>4219903
>DKC GBC
>perfect port
You're kidding, right? The controls are just as bad, if not even worse than in the first Donkey Kong Land; you lose your animal buddy immediately if you either get touched or want to "get off" and the added bonus games are more of an afterthought than fleshed out. You're better off playing the GBA version if you really want to play DKC on the go or hell, you could simply get a New 3DS and put the original DKC on it if you want to.

Besides, your point about the Land games being demakes only goes for the second DKL game. The first one has original levels, music and enemies while the third one has similar music and enemies but different level design and the level and area names are different.
>>
Why isn't there a HD collection of all the donkey kong games yet like the mario all stars
>>
Donkey Kong Land has an amazing soundtrack.
>>
>>4220947
>HD
They don't have the original assets anymore, they would need to redo every asset from scratch. That would be horrible.
>>
The only one worth playing nowadays is the first one that's an original game.
>>
>>4220951
The boss track is a remixed Blast Corps song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6jMnYUrx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGePLIbxL7Y
>>
>>4220992
this eventually led to a copyright dispute when blast corps was posted to rare replay collection on xbone
>>
>>4220996
Really? I'd like to read more about that, if you have a source.
>>
>>4221002
No source, but Skerries plays the Simian Acres music in Rare Replay instead.
>>
>>4219789
It's still easier to see
>>
File: 1388740010580.png (811KB, 963x722px) Image search: [Google]
1388740010580.png
811KB, 963x722px
>>4219671
I've only played the first one, and I really disliked it. It looks terrible with Nintendo forcing in SNES graphics on Game Boy. I've played it on a GBA and it did not look good.

I could get passed that had the gameplay been good, but my biggest issue is how Donkey Kong is too big for the screen. You don't see anything before you crash in it, or you have play very slow and cautious, which is not a fun thing to be doing in a platform game.

With the screen being so small they should have taken that into consideration. Super Mario Land 1 does it and is a great game. DKL does not.
>>
File: gfs_51617_2_1.jpg (31KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_51617_2_1.jpg
31KB, 512x448px
>>4219789
Still kind of hard to see. The SGB can't make sprites be different colors than the background, whereas the GBC does.
>>
It's backwards of the SNES trilogy, in that Donkey Kong Land 3 is by far the best and Land 2 is the worst
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.